LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 324 users in the forums

2012-13 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Are they just playing for 2014 now and the big cap room? Starting over with some younger guys would be a good idea for the Lakers.
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
Laker fans might cry foul, but I think the entire problem behind the Lakers franchise can be summed up into two words: Kobe Bryant. Unlike guys like Michael Jordan, who pretty much played on a dominant team that only required replacements for role players, the Lakers have had to go through several transitions through the Kobe era. And not just minor changes. We're talking losing star power like Shaq, Odom (to some extent), Fisher (to some extent), with the Lakers trying to replace that kind of play by acquiring big name players. The problem here is Kobe's willingness (or lack thereof) to budge and be a team player. Everyone and their mother knows this is Kobe's team, but it's his constant harpering and gesturing in public/media outlets that this is HIS team that irks players in my opinion. I dont know exactly what was said to Howard when he met up with the Lakers, but reports stating that Kobe was using statements like "I can teach you to be a champion" are unnecessary. We get it Kobe. You're a 5 time champion and the best thing thats happened to the NBA since Jordan. But do we constantly need to hear that from your mouth ? It might work with guys like Odom or Horry, but it can demoralize and discourage star players like Howard and Gasol, who then feel as if they have to adapt their games to your liking.

I think if Kobe (this late in his career) took a more nonchalante approach, maybe like Pierce or Wade, where the focus is about team success through individual sacrifices rather than "my team, my way" the Lakers would have a better chance at landing guys like Howard.

I HIGHLY doubt Melo or James would be willing to come to LA in 2 seasons if Kobe keeps up this antic. It's a different league where success is handled by committee. One great player does not equate to championships. Teams like the Spurs, Heat, Thunder are winning bc multiple players are allowed to play their game as long as each is willing to sacrifice a bit for the other. Kobe's attitude wont help recruit anyone and he's going to end up leaving this league with only 5 rings.

LOL This has to be one of the most ridiculous posts ever.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
Laker fans might cry foul, but I think the entire problem behind the Lakers franchise can be summed up into two words: Kobe Bryant. Unlike guys like Michael Jordan, who pretty much played on a dominant team that only required replacements for role players, the Lakers have had to go through several transitions through the Kobe era. And not just minor changes. We're talking losing star power like Shaq, Odom (to some extent), Fisher (to some extent), with the Lakers trying to replace that kind of play by acquiring big name players. The problem here is Kobe's willingness (or lack thereof) to budge and be a team player. Everyone and their mother knows this is Kobe's team, but it's his constant harpering and gesturing in public/media outlets that this is HIS team that irks players in my opinion. I dont know exactly what was said to Howard when he met up with the Lakers, but reports stating that Kobe was using statements like "I can teach you to be a champion" are unnecessary. We get it Kobe. You're a 5 time champion and the best thing thats happened to the NBA since Jordan. But do we constantly need to hear that from your mouth ? It might work with guys like Odom or Horry, but it can demoralize and discourage star players like Howard and Gasol, who then feel as if they have to adapt their games to your liking.

I think if Kobe (this late in his career) took a more nonchalante approach, maybe like Pierce or Wade, where the focus is about team success through individual sacrifices rather than "my team, my way" the Lakers would have a better chance at landing guys like Howard.

I HIGHLY doubt Melo or James would be willing to come to LA in 2 seasons if Kobe keeps up this antic. It's a different league where success is handled by committee. One great player does not equate to championships. Teams like the Spurs, Heat, Thunder are winning bc multiple players are allowed to play their game as long as each is willing to sacrifice a bit for the other. Kobe's attitude wont help recruit anyone and he's going to end up leaving this league with only 5 rings.

LOL This has to be one of the most ridiculous posts ever.

To the original poster. Nah.

Howard is just going to a younger team with better young superstars. He sees the writing on the wall. Kobe is older, coming off a real bad injury, Nash is older and often injured, Gasol is a bit soft and getting older. The Lakers in 2013 are just not going anywhere. They are clearing cap room for 2014. Now 2014, 2015 and beyond that's a different story. But there is nothing in 2013 for the Lakers. And Howard could see that.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Howard is just going to a younger team with better young superstars. He sees the writing on the wall. Kobe is older, coming off a real bad injury, Nash is older and often injured, Gasol is a bit soft and getting older. The Lakers in 2013 are just not going anywhere. They are clearing cap room for 2014. Now 2014, 2015 and beyond that's a different story. But there is nothing in 2013 for the Lakers. And Howard could see that.

It's the right move. Kobe, Gasol, Nash, and now bring on Odom again, this is the NBA version of retirement city. Shaq makes noise about Dwight not being able to handle the bright lights. Who cares! Howard made the right move, McHale has the big man mentality and will position Howard offensively and defensively. Jerry Buss would've signed him.

You know in 2008-2009 I didn't think there was anything for the Lakers also... They went to the NBA finals and almost won a title. I still have faith. A new season is a clean slate for the Lakers, especially with the kind of talent they still have with Kobe, Gasol and Nash. I don't care about ages. Obviously the Spurs debunked that myth this past season.
Originally posted by socalfan21:
You know in 2008-2009 I didn't think there was anything for the Lakers also... They went to the NBA finals and almost won a title. I still have faith. A new season is a clean slate for the Lakers, especially with the kind of talent they still have with Kobe, Gasol and Nash. I don't care about ages. Obviously the Spurs debunked that myth this past season.

The 2013-14 Lakers aren't even comparable to this years Spurs
You guys are interested in Chris Kaman lol
Originally posted by socalfan21:

Parker is not that old. Kawhi Leonard is young and outstanding. One of the best young players in the league. The Lakers don't have talent like the Spurs. The Spurs are even younger at some of the key star positions.

Kobe is mid thirties coming off a huge injury. Nash is almost 40. And he was rarely healthy. They lost Howard in free agency. The team is not going to be better than they were. They should be worse. They are looking at 2014, 2015, 2016. That doesn't mean they can't rebuild it for the future. Maybe they can. But not next year. They Lakers have no player like Leonard who is young and can run the floor and play defense and rebound. He's an outstanding young player.

From San Diego State I might add. I saw him play in college many times (Leonard). He was always the best guy on the floor every night. You could tell he would play in the NBA and had a chance to be really good.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Jul 7, 2013 at 4:30 PM ]
Originally posted by marshniners24:

Jealous?
Originally posted by marshniners24:

I was actually hoping he might come to the Warriors to back up Bogut at a low salary.

Just throwing this out there now...if Carmelo Anthony ends up being a Laker in 2014-15, would one of you guys drive down here and mercifully smother me with a pillow like Chief did to McMurphy after the lobotomy?

[ Edited by LA9erFan on Jul 8, 2013 at 12:38 AM ]
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Just throwing this out there now...if Carmelo Anthony ends up being a Laker in 2014-15, would one of you guys drive down here and mercifully smother me with a pillow like Chief did to McMurphy after the lobotomy?

Only if I get to throw your bathroom sink through the wall to take my exit, then run down the street in my pajamas like a graceful giant.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Only if I get to throw your bathroom sink through the wall to take my exit, then run down the street in my pajamas like a graceful giant.

LOL
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

Nah, don't see it. His ties to NY are deep. Unless he gets back with Lala and convinces him to move to LA for her career.
I do say you guys make a MAAAAAAAAJOR run at LBJ. Regardless, its a nice list for 2014 FAs.
In gonna go out on a limb and say the lakers are an 8th seed at best next year and are better off entering the Wiggins sweep stakes.
Share 49ersWebzone