LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

2012 NBA Offseason Thread

Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
HOW DO THESE GMs HAVE JOBS?!?!?!? HOW DOES ERIC GORDON GET A MAX CONTRACT?!?!!?

Because the existence of FA in every sport is a constant escalation and inflation of contracts to the point of absurdity... and then it keeps going.

It just drives me nuts, dude. A team basically has $60M to divvy up amongst 12 guys. How does a sane person say, "alright, let's start out by giving Eric Gordon 25% of that"?
Watch the Hornets match it.
HOW DO THESE GMs HAVE JOBS?!?!?!? HOW DOES ERIC GORDON GET A MAX CONTRACT?!?!!?

Because the existence of FA in every sport is a constant escalation and inflation of contracts to the point of absurdity... and then it keeps going.

It just drives me nuts, dude. A team basically has $60M to divvy up amongst 12 guys. How does a sane person say, "alright, let's start out by giving Eric Gordon 25% of that"?

Thats pretty bad, but in baseball it is REALLY out of control, because the salary "cap" is much higher, and even then, its not really a cap, a team can go straight past that if they like.

Teams are even giving out contracts they KNOW they will regret, like Pujols and Fielder getting 9 or 10 years. Teams know they won't be producing at the end of that, but they sacrifice that salary to get them for the majority of that contract when they will produce. And it won't stop.
Thats pretty bad, but in baseball it is REALLY out of control, because the salary "cap" is much higher, and even then, its not really a cap, a team can go straight past that if they like.

Teams are even giving out contracts they KNOW they will regret, like Pujols and Fielder getting 9 or 10 years. Teams know they won't be producing at the end of that, but they sacrifice that salary to get them for the majority of that contract when they will produce. And it won't stop.

Ya. That's the major reason why baseball's a distant 3rd in terms of my favorite sports.
If Nash leaves (and he almost certainly will) we'll be a 20-30 win team for the next 2-3 years, Eric Gordon or not, and perennial contenders for the # 1 pick in the draft. Best case scenario, we'll pick wisely in the drafts, and within 4-5 years we'll have a young, talented group of players. Gordon's contract will either be expiring or it will have expired by that time.

We gotta pay somebody in the meantime, and if the Hornets match, that only hurts them. If Nash stays (again, unlikely) we suddenly have a solid 2-guard to pair up in the backcourt with him. Maybe that nets us a shot at the 6th-8th seeds in the West for the next year or two.
Jesus, H.

Free agency has become the anchorman knife fight.
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
Jesus, H.

Free agency has become the anchorman knife fight.

Danny Ferry's come a long way
[ Edited by GameOver on Jul 3, 2012 at 8:45 PM ]
Lakers suddenly in the mix for Nash? I just can't see him going there.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

I don't buy it. Nash has said quite a few times that money is one of his top priorities in signing a contract, i.e. he's not signing the vet minimum, and that he couldn't imagine himself in a Lakers uniform. The Lakeshow doesn't have the cap room. I'd be VERY surprised if he did a 180 and signed on with LA; and a sign and trade seems unlikely with the lack of assets outside of Kobe, Gasol and Bynum, none of which I'd think LA is willing to part with.

Right now, I think Toronto has the inside track. 3 years, $36 million is right up his alley, it's his home country, and he already has a job with Canada's Olympic team.

And the Hornets have already said they're going to match the offer to Eric Gordon.
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

I don't buy it. Nash has said quite a few times that money is one of his top priorities in signing a contract, i.e. he's not signing the vet minimum, and that he couldn't imagine himself in a Lakers uniform. The Lakeshow doesn't have the cap room. I'd be VERY surprised if he did a 180 and signed on with LA; and a sign and trade seems unlikely with the lack of assets outside of Kobe, Gasol and Bynum, none of which I'd think LA is willing to part with.

Right now, I think Toronto has the inside track. 3 years, $36 million is right up his alley, it's his home country, and he already has a job with Canada's Olympic team.

I'm right there with you. Although the key to that happening would be a sign and trade that the suns would have to agree to, with the Lakers using the trade exemption they got for Odom. I guess he could make $9 million under that exemption. Or something like that.

I just see Nash as a Laker hater and can't imagine him going there. But I never expected Malone or GP to go, either.
How the hell did Steve Nash get in the Laker mix
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
How the hell did Steve Nash get in the Laker mix

Name the last big time FA / player on the move who wasn't thrown into the Laker rumor mill.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
95% of these reports are crap.
Share 49ersWebzone