LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 298 users in the forums

Team USA Basketball--London Gold Medal Olympic Champions

UsA sloppy at times, a lot had to do with the USA not accustomed to FIBA rules.

Definitely lots and lots of inconsistencies from the refs.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Damn, why you guys hating on the team's performance so much? Didn't watch it but a 22-point win over our best competitor looks pretty good to me.

What am I missing?

Dunno. Defensively they look great. The only problem is that they're really small, with Tyson Chandler being the only big that's in the rotation right now. It'd be nice if Kevin Love got involved, but apparently the coaching staff doesn't like him because he's so goddamn awful on defense and to make matters worse, he's completely oblivious to that fact. But they're just killing people with their ball pressure on the perimeter.

IMO, Spain's the only team that can beat them due to their size.

Spain was supposed to be the only gold competition. Looks promising, we lack a little size, but probably won't need it this time. I hope.

Marc Gasol didn't play, so they were without their biggest guy. The game would have definitely gone different if he played, but I don't thing the outcome would have been any different. When the 2 teams go to their benches, the US is putting another NBA all-star team out there. Spain just can't hang with that.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

The refs have sucked. Badly.

I hate the "dribble immediately" rule. It slows the game down in the open court. Helpful for those slow Euros. That is a major difference and is probably somewhat difficult for the NBA guys to get used to.
Originally posted by sacniner:

I hate the "dribble immediately" rule. It slows the game down in the open court. Helpful for those slow Euros. That is a major difference and is probably somewhat difficult for the NBA guys to get used to.

It's weird that the FIBA rules are different from common rules in the US leagues. USA created the sport and world rules should use the NBA as its reference

It would be like the Olympics adding American football and tweaking the rules so there is only 3 downs instead of 4 downs.

It's weird that the FIBA rules are different from common rules in the US leagues. USA created the sport and world rules should use the NBA as its reference

It would be like the Olympics adding American football and tweaking the rules so there is only 3 downs instead of 4 downs.

FIBA actually calls it like the rules are written. The NBA allows a stretching of the rules for sensationalism. It's clear as day when you watch any NBA game that extra steps are being taken.

Although in the game against Spain, the refs did actually get a few of the calls wrong. Not all of them, but there were a few times when they slowed it down and there was no violation. I think they're looking for a chance to call violations on them when they aren't there just to prove a point.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

FIBA actually calls it like the rules are written. The NBA allows a stretching of the rules for sensationalism. It's clear as day when you watch any NBA game that extra steps are being taken.

Although in the game against Spain, the refs did actually get a few of the calls wrong. Not all of them, but there were a few times when they slowed it down and there was no violation. I think they're looking for a chance to call violations on them when they aren't there just to prove a point.

I see, the NBA is more lenient. I wonder if college basketball is as consistent in comparison to the FIBA.

On Side note, I think the Spain game was a good wake up call as far as the style of ref-ing they will see. I was impressed that USA crushed them even though USA was so sloppy
Anthony Davis had a nasty block where he snatched/palmed out of the air
Anthony Davis had a nasty block where he snatched/palmed out of the air

He's an unbelievable defensive player. Those long arms and quick hands are amazing. It seems he is always making a play on the ball. Steals, blocked shots, altered shots. At Kentucky and on the dream team too.
They got revenge for the swimming team
I see, the NBA is more lenient. I wonder if college basketball is as consistent in comparison to the FIBA.

On Side note, I think the Spain game was a good wake up call as far as the style of ref-ing they will see. I was impressed that USA crushed them even though USA was so sloppy

The NBA is more lenient on certain things, which at times makes the game better IMO, but there are some differences also. For example, in FIBA you can tip the ball in while it's in the cylinder. I guess it's all personal preference, but I like the NBA game better.

Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
They got revenge for the swimming team

Lol, that pissed me off.

The NBA is more lenient on certain things, which at times makes the game better IMO, but there are some differences also. For example, in FIBA you can tip the ball in while it's in the cylinder. I guess it's all personal preference, but I like the NBA game better.
I find the NBA literally unwatchable. I haven't watched a single NBA game literally in years.

But I LOVE Olympic B Ball. I'll watch any of these two teams play.
Originally posted by RogueStout:
I find the NBA literally unwatchable. I haven't watched a single NBA game literally in years.

But I LOVE Olympic B Ball. I'll watch any of these two teams play.

Well, everyone has their preference. I love NBA ball (no homo). You've missed out on some GREAT games.
Where can I find the television schedule for Team USA?
Originally posted by RogueStout:
Where can I find the television schedule for Team USA?

Google?
Share 49ersWebzone