LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 291 users in the forums

Alex Smith's Uncle the new Arkansas HC

• Jcool
  • Veteran
CoachesBTN ‏ @CoachesBTN

John L. Smith was 22-26 in his last 4 years as a HC at Mich St. He was 12-20 in conference play. Here's his profile:

http://coachesbythenumbers.com/coach-profile/?coach=John+L+Smith
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
FootballScoop Staff ‏ @footballscoop

Am told by sources close to the program that Smith's contract is for less than one year. Wow

Logic of bringing in someone familiar w staff & players makes sense (esp. b/c he has head coaching experience); but this is head scratcher

Sources close to the program have confirmed to us that several of the Arkansas coaches did not know of JL Smith hire b4 media broke story

Logic of JLS hire is same as Garrick McGee, allows coordinators to continue to run their offense / defense and make long term hire in Dec.
Surprising choice. I would have thought they would take someone from the South with a strong track record.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Surprising choice. I would have thought they would take someone from the South with a strong track record.

Petrino was Smiths OC at Louisville & took over when Smith left for Michigan St. 8 of 9 Arkansas assistants have worked with Smith at some point.
[ Edited by Jcool on Apr 23, 2012 at 12:44 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
The program will now flounder for seven years before becoming average.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Petrino was Smiths OC at Louisville & took over when Smith left for Michigan St. 8 of 9 Arkansas assistants have worked with Smith at some point.

That makes sense then. Couldnt figure out why Smith would be considered.
Originally posted by susweel:

• crzy
  • Hall of Fame

such a dick

I never heard of a 1 year deal before. Strange. Usually coaches get something a bit longer to turn a program around or build something. 1 year? Really. LOL.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I never heard of a 1 year deal before. Strange. Usually coaches get something a bit longer to turn a program around or build something. 1 year? Really. LOL.

Well the one year deal is in place because they don't want to get financially invested in Smith and have the option of looking for a better candidate next year at the end of season. At this point any good candidate has been taken so this actually makes total sense. This position also works for Smith as he is back getting exposure at a big program, instead of being stuck at Weber State like he was last year.
Share 49ersWebzone