There are 232 users in the forums

Mayweather vs Cotto and Canelo vs Mosley (May 5th HBO PPV)

• Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Early reports indicate that the Live Gate for this fight did 12M and the PPV buys may exceed 2M. If true, Floyd would make 60-70M for this fight. Again, speculation this early in the game. I think, it will do around 11M gate and 1.85 PPV buys when the final numbers come out.
Originally posted by Amir:
Early reports indicate that the Live Gate for this fight did 12M and the PPV buys may exceed 2M. If true, Floyd would make 60-70M for this fight. Again, speculation this early in the game. I think, it will do around 11M gate and 1.85 PPV buys when the final numbers come out.

Amir help me out here, when you refer to gate does that at the mgm grand, again excuse my ignorance ? wow 60 - 70 million for money mayweather ... "Good Lord thats alot of money" , how much do you think cottos final # will be, i believe he was making 8 mill for the fight, correct me if im wrong
Originally posted by 9ersSince85:

Amir help me out here, when you refer to gate does that at the mgm grand, again excuse my ignorance ? wow 60 - 70 million for money mayweather ... "Good Lord thats alot of money" , how much do you think cottos final # will be, i believe he was making 8 mill for the fight, correct me if im wrong

Maybe TO should hit up Floyd for a loan.....
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame

There are different revenue streams for a fight
  • PPV (self explanatory)
  • Live Gate (number of people at the event. so for this fight, Golden Boy Promotions predict it was 16,047 attendance bringing in around $12M)
  • Closed Circuit (MGM Grand and affiliated hotel in Vegas showed the fight in their ballrooms or theatres so the fans could watch for a price. They predict around 9,000 people)
  • Theaters
  • Etc

Floyd was guaranteed 32M for this fight. Cotto was guaranteed 8M for this fight. That was NOT including percentages for the PPV buys. So the more buys it had, the more money they make. Canelo got 1.2M guaranteed and Mosley got 650K guaranteed. Not sure if they got any percentages from the PPV buys

Again, this is all early projections, not the final numbers.
[ Edited by Amir on May 9, 2012 at 11:36 AM ]

• PPV (self explanatory)
  • Live Gate (number of people at the event. so for this fight, Golden Boy Promotions predict it was 16,047 attendance bringing in around $12M)
  • Closed Circuit (MGM Grand and affiliated hotel in Vegas showed the fight in their ballrooms or theatres so the fans could watch for a price. They predict around 9,000 people)
  • Theaters
  • Etc

Floyd was guaranteed 32M for this fight. Cotto was guaranteed 8M for this fight. That was NOT including percentages for the PPV buys. So the more buys it had, the more money they make. Canelo got 1.2M guaranteed and Mosley got 650K guaranteed. Not sure if they got any percentages from the PPV buys.

That gets worked into the contract. They divide the amounts based on the fighter with the biggest draw.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Niner_Demon:

• PPV (self explanatory)
  • Theaters
  • Etc

Floyd was guaranteed 32M for this fight. Cotto was guaranteed 8M for this fight. That was NOT including percentages for the PPV buys. So the more buys it had, the more money they make. Canelo got 1.2M guaranteed and Mosley got 650K guaranteed. Not sure if they got any percentages from the PPV buys.

That gets worked into the contract. They divide the amounts based on the fighter with the biggest draw.

Yup, EVERYTHING is in the contract. So Floyd, being the bigger draw, will get more percentages of the PPV than Cotto as he should.

• PPV (self explanatory)
  • Theaters
  • Etc

Floyd was guaranteed 32M for this fight. Cotto was guaranteed 8M for this fight. That was NOT including percentages for the PPV buys. So the more buys it had, the more money they make. Canelo got 1.2M guaranteed and Mosley got 650K guaranteed. Not sure if they got any percentages from the PPV buys

Again, this is all early projections, not the final numbers.

thanks ... fully understand now
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
From an interview with De La Hoya:

On whether or not Mayweather wants to fight Pacquiao:

"Oh, he does. He does. Absolutely. Look, Golden Boy wants the fight. Pacquiao wants the fight. Mayweather wants the fight. Who doesn't want the fight? Arum. Right? Come on. Give us a call at ----------. That's the Golden Boy office. Ego."

On his belief that it is Arum who does not want to make Mayweather-Pacquiao:

"Arum is a great promoter, and for many years, he promoted the best fights ever. Of course he was going to get in the way of making this big fight happen. But it's also ego. You have to take into account the fear that Arum has of Pacquiao losing. By the way, if he loses, so what? He loses, no big deal. He's still Pacquiao.

"But I'm sure that Bob Arum is thinking, 'Well, I had better face Pacquiao with Bradley. I better face him with my own guys, I had better face him with Marquez again. And then, maybe, in Pacquiao's last fight, I'll face Mayweather.' I don't know if that has to do with it. I just think that Mayweather will expose Pacqauiao.

"I'm not saying that it would be the end of his career. It would be one loss, to Mayweather. So what? But, you know, this is Bob Arum's last fighter that is going to make him a lot of money and that is going to generate big numbers in pay per view. Why is he going to expose him and risk all of that comes with Pacquiao?"

On whether or not Mayweather-Pacquiao should be a 50-50 split:

"Look, negotiations have been going on behind closed doors. We know the truth. But it is what it is. I can't speak on the purse split. That's up to Mayweather. We just promote him and he's his own boss. Mayweather understands the business. "I understand the business. He knows that we work great together. He loves working with us, and we love working with him. We love creating big events and Mayweather loves big events. So I'm sure that we'll continue working with him for a very long time."
Damn, I underestimated Floyd. I honestly wasn't all that hyped about this fight as opposed to the Ortiz fight. I figured it'd do 1.4-1.5 mil buys tops.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
Damn, I underestimated Floyd. I honestly wasn't all that hyped about this fight as opposed to the Ortiz fight. I figured it'd do 1.4-1.5 mil buys tops.

Still early projections silky and those are from Richard Schaefer. He tends to overhype everything. I think this fight does over 1.5M easily. Question is, can it get to 1.7 and WOWZERS if it gets to 2M and over.

I really dont get the 60/40 split thing. 50/50 sounds right to me. If this last fight generated 70 million for Floyd, a PacMan fight could double it, 100m minumum. Neither of them need the money, so what's the issue. Pure pride? If/when he beats PedMan he can walk off into the sunset as a true GOAT.

yeah wtf.

That PPV was stacked with all food groups doe.

Mexican, PR, Bleck, American, .......just not filipino
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I really dont get the 60/40 split thing. 50/50 sounds right to me. If this last fight generated 70 million for Floyd, a PacMan fight could double it, 100m minumum. Neither of them need the money, so what's the issue. Pure pride? If/when he beats PedMan he can walk off into the sunset as a true GOAT.

both are scared to lose, and with Ployd making a CRAZY amount of dough for a surefire win , .......I don't see this fight happening unless Pac does all of the PBF stipulations.

I was hoping Floyd would go somewhat broke to get the Pac fight started, but that is not the case.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

yeah wtf.

You have the #1 PPV king in Floyd (black audience and haters) and the #3 PPV king in Cotto (PR audience). Then you have the up and coming rising Mexican star on Cinco de Mayo fighting a well respected fighter in Mosley (more black audience). This fight, with these 4 boxers and on Cinco De Mayo was gonna easily get to 1.5M.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

yeah wtf.

Yeah tru dat.
Share 49ersWebzone