There are 142 users in the forums

Mayweather vs Cotto and Canelo vs Mosley (May 5th HBO PPV)

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Amir:
LULZ at anyone that thinks Mayweather and Pac are past their prime.

Im 35 and Im past my prime.

26-30 is the prime for athletes.
i think they are past their prime.. they both looked vulnerable in their latest fights.. pac more than mayweather
Originally posted by danimal:
LULZ at anyone that thinks Mayweather and Pac are past their prime.

Touche. They are mid 30's bro. There is absolutely nothing laughable about understanding how merciless Father time is. How old are you?

I have watched every Pac fight in it's entirety for nearly 10 years. He was at his absolute best 2008-2010. If you want to tell me Mayweather is not past his prime I will leave it at that, but nobody can tell me Pac has not seen his best days

Pac's last 3 fights from 2010 on were against Margarito, Mosely and JMM. He fought Margarito at 150 pound limit and weighed in at 144. Despite that, he dominated and f**ked up Margarito. Against Mosely, he won a unanimous decision and even knocked him down in the 3rd i believe. He also said that he had leg cramps before and during the fight, yet won easily. Against JMM, that all comes down to style. JMM's counte rpunching has ALWAYS presented Pacquio with problems. Pac/JMM II was in 2008 and you could dispute if he really won that fight. Style makes fights and JMM's style has always given Manny problems. That's the main reason why I think Manny would lose to Floyd. Floyd is the ultimate counter puncher but stronger, bigger and faster than JMM.

My point being, if you think that they're not as good as they were 2 years ago, that's fine. But they are hardly past their prime.

That is what past your prime means. When you are no longer as good as you once were. It does not mean you are bad.

Its all relative, Pac and Mayweather in their prime was f**king astounding. They still are really really good now.
Amir c'mon they're both past prime.

Are they still great? Yes.

I think the Floyd that fought Ricky Hatton would have lit up the likes of Victor Ortiz 30 seconds into the first round
Originally posted by 9ersSince85:
That Saturday Night when/if Manny/Floyd fight would be like NONE OTHER.

wouldn't disagree with you there ... It def will be the biggest night in boxing in decades and for many moons to come

The biggest night in boxing (PPV buys wise) was De La Hoya vs Mayweather on May 5, 2007. Don't know where you got decades from???

You probably don't remember but the hype for that fight was CRAY. Tickets sold out in 3 hours after they went on sale in Jan 2007. That fight, because it was so big, started the 24/7 Series on HBO.

oh forgive my ignorance, biggest night of boxing in half a decade ..... and counting lol
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:

I think the Floyd that fought Ricky Hatton would have lit up the likes of Victor Ortiz 30 seconds into the first round

Naw. Hatton's chin was shot by then. Juan Lazcano nearly put him away if it wasn't for some odd ref intervention.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by danimal:
That is what past your prime means. When you are no longer as good as you once were. It does not mean you are bad.

Its all relative, Pac and Mayweather in their prime was f**king astounding. They still are really really good now.

Sorry I wrote that in a wrong way.

I was saying that Pac struggled against JMM in 2008 (his prime days) just like he struggled in last years bout. that's all about Style. Pac beat Margarito just as convincing as he beat Cotto in 2009 (Prime days) and Margarito was much bigger. Pac also beat Mosley last year very convincingly and knocked him down int the 3rd. I don't see any decline.

As far as Money, he still beats people the same way he always has. Again, I haven't seen any decline from him.

Either way, it doesn't matter. If that fight happens, everyone and their mama will be watching it.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame

Floyd is and always has been a technician. He's always taken his time slowly beating the crap out of the opponent. So when you lit up, what do you mean? knocked him out in the first? That's not Floyd.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 9ersSince85:
oh forgive my ignorance, biggest night of boxing in half a decade ..... and counting lol

What do YOU define as a "big night of boxing?"

Floyd is and always has been a technician. He's always taken his time slowly beating the crap out of the opponent. So when you lit up, what do you mean? knocked him out in the first? That's not Floyd.

Lulz I didn't mean get an early KO, my bad, I meant the younger Floyd would land some hard counter-punches in the first round instead of simply lead rights

What do YOU define as a "big night of boxing?"

to me A big night in the sport of boxing is when the Match is so big, that it draws the non boxing fan to order or scramble to find a place to watch. Only fighters that can do that are now are PBF and Pac. Other than die hards like yourself nobodys watching boxing unless pac or may are involed and there aint alot of you left here in the states... with all due respect its the truth bro just face it.

Your right i def remember DLH vs PBF. you brought facts to the table that are undeniable, so Factually speaking its been 5 years + since the biggest night of boxing

I will agree that PBF vs Pac will be def be like none other and surpass the DLH/PBF PPV sales ...i may have jump the shark by saying "decades" and i apoligized for my ignorance, But Big nights in the sport of boxing are few and far between and thats also undeniable from the facts that youve presented
First off, I HATE FMJr.'s attitude, false accusations towards Pacquiao, etc.

With that said, he dominated Cotto in that fight, except for 2-3 rounds where Cotto had some decent offense, PBF fought smart, didn't panic when backed up against the ropes and avoided combos.

When I compare Mayweather Jr.'s fight with Cotto vs. Pac-man's fight vs. Cotto, Manny dominated so much more where Cotto was backpedaling most of the fight. So, I'd like to think that Pacquiao would win vs. FMJr. But on the flip side, Manny had several close fights with Marquez while Floyd dominated that fight. In the end, you have an offensive-minded boxer vs. a smart counter-puncher. Hope this match up finally happens later this year or next!
Originally posted by mcbaes72:

With that said, he dominated Cotto in that fight, except for 2-3 rounds where Cotto had some decent offense, PBF fought smart, didn't panic when backed up against the ropes and avoided combos.

When I compare Mayweather Jr.'s fight with Cotto vs. Pac-man's fight vs. Cotto, Manny dominated so much more where Cotto was backpedaling most of the fight. So, I'd like to think that Pacquiao would win vs. FMJr. But on the flip side, Manny had several close fights with Marquez while Floyd dominated that fight. In the end, you have an offensive-minded boxer vs. a smart counter-puncher. Hope this match up finally happens later this year or next!

Styles make fights. Can't compare someone's bout with a fighter with another bout.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SF69ers:

Styles make fights. Can't compare someone's bout with a fighter with another bout.

THIS....again
Originally posted by SF69ers:

THIS....again

And one more time just for kicks.
Share 49ersWebzone