There are 332 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by DatNyjerSireez:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Last time we'll see Zito, Lincy, maybe even scoots and Blanco.

Vogey

So a team with desperate SP need is going to let Zito, Lincecum, AND Vogelsong leave? Bumgarner, Cain, Petit, Gaudin, Kickham would be such a bad rotation. Maybe the worst 3-4-5 in baseball.

Kickham has no chance. He has done nothing. At least Petit and Gaudin made a case for themselves to be 4-5 guys.
Interesting. Sabean just can never admit mistakes.

If he had the choice to do it over again, Giants GM Brian Sabean says he would still have signed Barry Zito to his massive seven-year, $126MM contract, Andrew Baggarly of Comcast Sports Net Bay Area tweets. That's likely merely a case of a GM expressing confidence in and goodwill toward his player, since Zito has essentially been a back-of-the-rotation starter since the contract was signed, never posting an ERA better than his 4.03 mark in 2009. Zito has totaled just 5.9 fWAR over the life of the contract (which expires at the end of the season), making him one of the most overpaid players in baseball history. Here are more notes on the Giants.

Sabean is bearish on the free agent market, both for pitching and hitting, Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle tweets. He will instead prioritize retaining his own players. The Giants will, however, be looking for another starting pitcher, even if they keep Tim Lincecum.Sabean says the window of opportunity that led to the Giants winning the 2012 World Series is now shut, tweets John Shea of the Chronicle. "We've got to create a new window," Sabean says.The Giants aren't likely to be top bidders for international players like Cuban first baseman Jose Abreu or Japanese pitcher Masahiro Tanaka, tweets Baggarly. Sabean has scouted Abreu in the Dominican Republic, but Shea writes that the Giants didn't think highly of Abreu's swing or his defense.
That whole post is f**ked up.

-Doesn't regret a contract that tied his hands financially for 7 years?
-Won't pursue top international players? (which means no Tanaka)
-Will likely overpay our own players and have practically the same team heading into next season?
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:

-Will likely overpay our own players and have practically the same team heading into next season?

I agree completely. I guarantee he overpays for Pence and possiblyTimmy. Pence had a nice year but he is not without risk in my opinion. I just dont consider him a great player. Good yes but not great.
I don't consider Sabean to be a great GM.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I agree completely. I guarantee he overpays for Pence and possiblyTimmy. Pence had a nice year but he is not without risk in my opinion. I just dont consider him a great player. Good yes but not great.

I would love to have him back in the 4-year, $45-50 million range, but there's no way that happens. Sabean will probably throw 15 mil per year his way.

I just really want Tanaka. He sounds like the real deal and he's young. He'd look really good as the No. 3 pitcher behind Cain and Bum.

I would love to have him back in the 4-year, $45-50 million range, but there's no way that happens. Sabean will probably throw 15 mil per year his way.

I just really want Tanaka. He sounds like the real deal and he's young. He'd look really good as the No. 3 pitcher behind Cain and Bum.

Sabean will pay him north of 15 mil.
Sabean and Bochy's press conference with Baggs

http://www.csnbayarea.com/giants/sabean-bochy-give-state-franchise-press-conference

I wish Baggs had asked him about the budget and how much he sees that going up next year given what the Dodgers have done and will continue to do
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

Sabean will pay him north of 15 mil.

I think Sabean will give him 4/60. Maybe more. Is he worth that? No but the Giants have put them in a position where they almost have no choice to go to that level. BUT.. I would not give him Ethier money.

I think Sabean will give him 4/60. Maybe more. Is he worth that? No but the Giants have put them in a position where they almost have no choice to go to that level. BUT.. I would not give him Ethier money.

I'd be okay with that as long as we're still able to find an upgrade in LF and make a push for some other starting pitcher who we can slot behind Bum and Cain. I don't see anyone out there in the FA market that stands out and we've seen two Japanese pitchers come over and pitch very well the past few years, which is why I really want Tanaka. But knowing Sabean, we'll probably throw 15 at Pence, 5 at Javy, 13 at Timmy and have our big FA signing be Bronson Arroyo.

And I'd like another late-inning reliever. Then I'd be satisfied
[ Edited by OregonDuckNiner on Sep 27, 2013 at 6:29 PM ]
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Hunter Pence winnig the Willie Mac was cool.
Originally posted by Muggins:

Honestly dont know who else could have been in the running this year.
i was at the game but i was so blacked out that we left hella early.
Originally posted by Muggins:

Ya very cool. He got hot at the end, if we had been in the playoff race it would have been great. 26 HRs. Resign him!
Share 49ersWebzone