LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 188 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Not of any significance, but I was just thinking that if we retained Wilson, he would be our hardest thrower right now.

Any of our current arms hitting 95 or above? I can only think of Casilla.
Originally posted by DatNyjerSireez:
Not of any significance, but I was just thinking that if we retained Wilson, he would be our hardest thrower right now.

Casilla can get to 95 but doesn't consistently; Machi (when he throws a fastball, which isn't often enough IMO) is next at around 93-94.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Casilla can get to 95 but doesn't consistently; Machi (when he throws a fastball, which isn't often enough IMO) is next at around 93-94.

I wish we had the Cards young pitching. Wacha, Miller, Martinez...... pretty amazing arms.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I wish we had the Cards young pitching. Wacha, Miller, Martinez...... pretty amazing arms.

I know I've mentioned this before but it's just funny how things work out. The Cards take Wacha 19th overall last year just before we pick and he's already blowing people away in the majors. The guy we draft just after him at #20 (Stratton) struggled by comparison in low A and is still another 2-3 years away in all likelihood. I know I'm whining, who knows if we would've taken Wacha anyway and I'm sure Stratton will be fine, but we were THAT close to having another absolute stud as a starter.

Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Good news: Heath Hembree has looked pretty damn good.

Still concerned about his velocity since his fastball was pretty consistently at 93-95 and touched 96-98 on occasion at Fresno this year. Haven't seen him close to the upper-end since joining the big club, so either a.) the PCL radar guns were WAY off, b.) he's deliberately not throwing hard to focus on control or c.) his arm is tiring.

I agree. Brian Wilson was hitting 94-95 last night after TJ surgery and Hembree was hitting 91. Not sure why but I expected him to be mid 90s as a minimum

Its probably a combo of him being tired from pitching beyond his normal season, and taking something off to keep the ball around the zone.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Good news: Heath Hembree has looked pretty damn good.

Still concerned about his velocity since his fastball was pretty consistently at 93-95 and touched 96-98 on occasion at Fresno this year. Haven't seen him close to the upper-end since joining the big club, so either a.) the PCL radar guns were WAY off, b.) he's deliberately not throwing hard to focus on control or c.) his arm is tiring.

I agree. Brian Wilson was hitting 94-95 last night after TJ surgery and Hembree was hitting 91. Not sure why but I expected him to be mid 90s as a minimum

Its probably a combo of him being tired from pitching beyond his normal season, and taking something off to keep the ball around the zone.

I think its more the tired arm. I think he would have let it air out a couple of times when ahead 0-2 in the count and hit mid to high 90s if he had it in him.
Zito's.............last................start.............
Woo! Let's get Zito that win!
Bringing in Kontos? C'mon Bochy.
f**king Abreu pissin me off

Zito ends his Giants career with a Win. Good to see

Zito ends his Giants career with a Win. Good to see

He walks away with 2 WS rings and a $7M buyout. Not too shabby. Glad to see the end of his tenure.
It is kinda sad to see him go though... More downs than ups, but he did ball out during the playoffs last year. Not saying he earned the contract last year, but it's sad to see any player go after six years with the team.
watch this team picks up his option, lmao!!!!
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
It is kinda sad to see him go though... More downs than ups, but he did ball out during the playoffs last year. Not saying he earned the contract last year, but it's sad to see any player go after six years with the team.

This was his 7th year.

Outside 2012 it was a miserable 7 years of being held hostage by that contract. Its time to part ways.
Share 49ersWebzone