There are 226 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

D
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
That may have started to change in 2008. They got Buster Posey and Brandon Crawford in that draft and Brandon Belt the next year ('09). Throw in the homegrown Sandoval and that's 4/5 of your infield that was developed through the system and has already won a championship together while all in their mid-20's. Not sure how many teams can make that claim.

And even though Gary Brown has faded, Jarrett Parker set a HR record in Richmond (tough place to hit), Adam Duvall did the same last year in San Jose and Chuckie Jones is a 6'3", 230 pound 21 year-old toolsy OF who could break through next year...so the story of the 2010 draft isn't entirely over yet. Susac (2011 draft) was putting up really good power numbers in Richmond before the injury, is now healthy and scheduled to play in the AFL. I think Susac will develop into a 20 HR/75 RBI guy over time if he can stay healthy. And of course his development will allow the team to move Posey from behind the plate which will only strengthen the lineup.

Of course the top overall hitting prospect IMO in their system (Williamson) was selected last year and Christian Arroyo picked a few months ago had a breakout season in the AZL. Even Ryder Jones put up good numbers in Arizona, though not quite at the level of Arroyo.

Overall the history isn't good, but it's not as bad as perceived and it looks to be getting better.

Duvall has put up some nice offensive numbers, but he also makes a lot of errors.
I wasn't necessarily trying to give anyone credit (since IMO that's irrelevant), nor was I saying Crawford was in the class of Posey or Belt for that matter, was just establishing the fact that they've developed hitting prospects over the last 5 years or so that are now producing in the majors.

Part of me thinks it has something to do with the parks we choose to affiliate with. San Jose, Augusta and Richmond particularly are notorious for being pitchers parks, and if a guy can get through that gauntlet, they have AT&T to look forward to. As a hitter, losing out on HRs in your home park that you KNOW you've squared up, year after year, that's got to mess with your head. Especially when you see other teams/affiliates essentially play in band boxes where they can put up video game numbers and that's the case from lower-to-upper minors all the way through to the major league park.

That's just my take though.

I do think we'll see 1 power hitter emerge from the Williamson/Duvall/Parker/Dominguez/Jones crowd and I really like Arroyo as an all-around hitter. But park factors are something to consider up and down our system.
Originally posted by SoCal9er:
D
That may have started to change in 2008. They got Buster Posey and Brandon Crawford in that draft and Brandon Belt the next year ('09). Throw in the homegrown Sandoval and that's 4/5 of your infield that was developed through the system and has already won a championship together while all in their mid-20's. Not sure how many teams can make that claim.

And even though Gary Brown has faded, Jarrett Parker set a HR record in Richmond (tough place to hit), Adam Duvall did the same last year in San Jose and Chuckie Jones is a 6'3", 230 pound 21 year-old toolsy OF who could break through next year...so the story of the 2010 draft isn't entirely over yet. Susac (2011 draft) was putting up really good power numbers in Richmond before the injury, is now healthy and scheduled to play in the AFL. I think Susac will develop into a 20 HR/75 RBI guy over time if he can stay healthy. And of course his development will allow the team to move Posey from behind the plate which will only strengthen the lineup.

Of course the top overall hitting prospect IMO in their system (Williamson) was selected last year and Christian Arroyo picked a few months ago had a breakout season in the AZL. Even Ryder Jones put up good numbers in Arizona, though not quite at the level of Arroyo.

Overall the history isn't good, but it's not as bad as perceived and it looks to be getting better.

Duvall has put up some nice offensive numbers, but he also makes a lot of errors.

He's gotten better, but yah he's definitely clanky at 3rd. I always thought they should try him in LF, sort of a RH version of Jason Kubel.
BTW, Nate Schierholtz is an example of a guy who we drafted/developed, put up pretty good numbers in the minors and played ok for us too when he was healthy, but has really flourished in the friendly confines of Wrigley Field. He's having an even better year than Pence with nearly 200 less ABs. Makes you wonder just how good Posey, Panda, Belt and even Crawford might do if they played somewhere else.
Game time ya bishes. I am not happy about our record, but I'm still watching everyday and faithful. Go G'S.
Blanco two hops his throw to the cutoff man so they score. Nice blanco, way to throw it in hard. Damn
BTW, Nate Schierholtz is an example of a guy who we drafted/developed, put up pretty good numbers in the minors and played ok for us too when he was healthy, but has really flourished in the friendly confines of Wrigley Field. He's having an even better year than Pence with nearly 200 less ABs. Makes you wonder just how good Posey, Panda, Belt and even Crawford might do if they played somewhere else.

If Posey played for the Brewers hed be hitting 35 HR a year. He's lost so many HR this year at AT&T. I can think of about 5 different times when he crushed a ball, and it died on the track.

Im not going to give the Giants hitters a ton of sympathy for AT&T though, because Pence and Sandoval went how long without a HR this year? It seems like both of them went almost 2 months without one, home or away. Posey hasnt even hit one in a month.

Part of the problem is playing half your games in a very pitcher friendly park, but another big part is not being in good counts. The Giants always get themselves into bad counts, and then have to try to stay alive. HR's come when youre ahead of the count and can sit on something. I wish they would add a couple more patient hitters into the lineup. We have too many free swingers.
Man on 2nd and 3rd with no outs, 3-0 count to Pablo and he swings. Fly out no runs, but never fear, Hector with the two out double. Ya, thats why he plays. A backup hitting catcher is important for us so we can afford to give Posey days off and let him play 1st.
Lol Arizona announcer just said, "the thing about the big Posey extension is what it will look like because he's really an average catcher at best." L wtf
Pence HR!

• Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Lol Arizona announcer just said, "the thing about the big Posey extension is what it will look like because he's really an average catcher at best." L wtf

who said that
Originally posted by Garcia:

who said that

There main announcer, not the color guy.

whateves.....
lol @ the kid wearing that Sacramento Kings hat.

I cannot even remember the last time I saw someone represent the Sacramento Kings in Sacramento.
posey, posey, posey.

and pence
Share 49ersWebzone