LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 305 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Great performance today in a big 3-game series for Augusta's Kendry Flores. 8 innings, 1 ER, only 5 hits allowed, no walks and 15 Ks! He leads all South Atlantic League qualified starters in K's (134), WHIP by a wide margin (0.94 before his start today), is 2nd in FIP (.282) and is now 3rd in ERA (.265).

Statistically, he's been the best overall starter on Augusta's staff (which includes top prospects Chris Stratton and Martin Agosta) and at 21 is the second youngest starter (only 2 months older than Joan Gregorio). Definitely someone to keep an eye on.

I wish everyone on the major league roster stayed the same, but all of our top pitching prospects magically developed 2 years ahead of schedule. If only...

I should've also noted that Flores shut down a pretty good Lexington team which has some big names on it...Raul Mondesi (yes, the son of RM Sr., went 1-5), Bubba Starling (5th player taken overall in 2011, Flores struck him out 3 times today) and Hunter Dozier (taken 8th overall this year, Flores struck him out twice).

The most interesting question(s) about some of these prospects is, who will be used as trade chips and what could they get in return? To me, that's as important as having them make our major league roster. Some of these guys might never start for us, but if they can net us a solid LF or a long-term solution at 3rd, they would've served their purpose.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Aug 21, 2013 at 12:33 PM ]
Zito, you suck.
T Minus 6 weeks and counting until Barry Zito never again wears a Giants uniform.
you have to credit Zito, he consistently blows (no homo, I think)
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
T Minus 6 weeks and counting until Barry Zito never again wears a Giants uniform.

Would make more sense to just release him now and open up that 40-man roster spot.

Would make more sense to just release him now and open up that 40-man roster spot.

If they released him now would that affect his contact? Can they just give him the remaining amount for this year plus 7M for next year and say see ya? I dont know if that is possible or not.

If they released him now would that affect his contact? Can they just give him the remaining amount for this year plus 7M for next year and say see ya? I dont know if that is possible or not.

I believe releasing a guy doesn't impact the contract language in any way (they'd still be obligated to pay him for the remainder of this year and by declining his option, they give him the $7M too). I think it just means he goes away, which is what we all want to see happen.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Sweep the Pirates....please?

I believe releasing a guy doesn't impact the contract language in any way (they'd still be obligated to pay him for the remainder of this year and by declining his option, they give him the $7M too). I think it just means he goes away, which is what we all want to see happen.

Maybe it is a reward for last season. Keep him around and not have the embarrassment of being cut. That is all I can think of
Originally posted by jrg:

DREAM ON

• jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jrg:

DREAM ON

good song

Maybe it is a reward for last season. Keep him around and not have the embarrassment of being cut. That is all I can think of

Could be, but it's also become a waste of a roster space now. That spot could be used to see what a Sept-call up like Heath Hembree could do (very good 2nd half in Fresno) or a reaaaaaaaaaal longshot like AA OF Javier Herrera. Truthfully though, anyone else at this point is a better use of that roster spot than Zito.
Oh.. one other thing. Kickham sucks too.

lolz....hard to argue otherwise. I still think he could be good down the road, but I'm probably in the minority there.

lolz....hard to argue otherwise. I still think he could be good down the road, but I'm probably in the minority there.

I just think the Giants have SO many young pitchers with bigger upside. Too bad that most of them are 2+ years away from being ready.
Share 49ersWebzone