There are 212 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
And Belt should get starts everyday at 1B, but clearly that makes too much sense.

I think Belt may have played his way out of San Francisco. He's been given a shot. He played extremely well down the stretch last year. After a promising start this year, like Brandon Crawford, he's tailed way off. If Pill responds and the team starts winning again, it's going to be very hard for Brandon to get off the bench...
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Garcia:
Yep, Frenchy already has more PA's than Belt since he got here and of course it will continue to decrease with Pill up.

No one in the world thinks it maybe a good idea to have Belt learn LF in a lost season? I'm just not following what's going on here.

ive been saying that for weeks. If you give Pill ABs or Posey at 1st, put Belt in LF.

Or maybe Belt just isn't that good.

Guaranteed to be better than Frenchy, Torres and Tanaka.

I'd give Bonds a week of batting practice and he would be better than those guys... at age 49
Originally posted by billbird2111:
And Belt should get starts everyday at 1B, but clearly that makes too much sense.

I think Belt may have played his way out of San Francisco. He's been given a shot. He played extremely well down the stretch last year. After a promising start this year, like Brandon Crawford, he's tailed way off. If Pill responds and the team starts winning again, it's going to be very hard for Brandon to get off the bench...

I seriously doubt that Belt is going to lose his job to Brett Pill. They may unload him but it wont be because of Pill.
Yep, Frenchy already has more PA's than Belt since he got here and of course it will continue to decrease with Pill up.

No one in the world thinks it maybe a good idea to have Belt learn LF in a lost season? I'm just not following what's going on here.

ive been saying that for weeks. If you give Pill ABs or Posey at 1st, put Belt in LF.

I don't know about that. Belt has exactly 2 hits and 8 K's in the last 7 games (Reds and Cubs series). As bad as Frenchy is, he has 4 hits and only 4 K's in that same period, and Tanaka is back in Fresno so he doesn't count anymore.

Belt is in a major funk right now, and really has been for most of July. That's pretty clear.
Originally posted by boast:
Kryicheck should start in LF. why not? the season is over anyway.

my thoughts exactly. this team needs to really responds to what the dodgers are doing in the offseason or the dodgers are gonna own this division for quite some time.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:

my thoughts exactly. this team needs to really responds to what the dodgers are doing in the offseason or the dodgers are gonna own this division for quite some time.

I think the Dodgers ARE going to own the division for the next 3-4 years anyway. Too much money. Too much talent. Too many stars. I love my Giants but I think the team is in big trouble until for the next 2 years minimum.

I don't know about that. Belt has exactly 2 hits and 8 K's in the last 7 games (Reds and Cubs series). As bad as Frenchy is, he has 4 hits and only 4 K's in that same period, and Tanaka is back in Fresno so he doesn't count anymore.

Belt is in a major funk right now, and really has been for most of July. That's pretty clear.

That's fine but you have to let your young players work through their funks. Especially when the season is basically over.

You don't just platoon a guy who's in the top three or four in most statistical categories on your team because he's slumping.
[ Edited by itlynstalyn on Jul 30, 2013 at 1:38 PM ]
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I seriously doubt that Belt is going to lose his job to Brett Pill. They may unload him but it wont be because of Pill.

IMO, they'll hold onto Belt until Susac is ready, which is likely 2015. IMO if Belt doesn't show more consistency by next year, they'll ship him out, give Buster more time at 1st and have him split the catching duties with Susac. If Susac delivers in his role, a full-time move to first for Posey could come sooner rather than later.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:

I think the Dodgers ARE going to own the division for the next 3-4 years anyway. Too much money. Too much talent. Too many stars. I love my Giants but I think the team is in big trouble until for the next 2 years minimum.

oh the Dodgers can go f**k themselves. i hope they have a major implosion in the post season if they make that far.
  • Garce
  • Veteran

lol this is plain not true. the Giants realize they have rushed both Brandons and they will get pleanty of time to develop.

IMO, they'll hold onto Belt until Susac is ready, which is likely 2015. IMO if Belt doesn't show more consistency by next year, they'll ship him out, give Buster more time at 1st and have him split the catching duties with Susac. If Susac delivers in his role, a full-time move to first for Posey could come sooner rather than later.

I think that makes a lot of sense. That is why I did not want to throw in Susac in some deal

That's fine but you have to let your young players work through their funks. Especially when the season is basically over.

You don't just platoon a guy who's in the top three or four in most statistical categories on your team because he's slumping.

Most managers would agree, but Belt seems to be a little different animal. When he gets in a funk, he tends to stay in a funk for long periods of time....and it gets ugly to watch, like this month. IMO, it doesn't hurt to let him sit awhile. I'm not advocating getting rid of him just yet, but his inconsistencies are maddening.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jul 30, 2013 at 1:44 PM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran

I will remember and save this quote.

Dodger Fan
-NinerJohn

I will remember and save this quote.

Dodger Fan
-NinerJohn

If by 2 years, John means this year and 2014, I actually agree. Next year might not be as ugly as this year, but it won't be pretty. But I think 2015 could be a pivotal year for the Giants, with a ton of money to spend (at least that's the forecast) and some young talent likely ready to make their first contributions.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jul 30, 2013 at 1:47 PM ]

Most managers would agree, but Belt seems to be a little different animal. When he gets in a funk, he tends to stay in a funk for long periods of time....and it gets ugly to watch, like this month. IMO, it doesn't hurt to let him sit awhile. I'm not advocating getting rid of him just yet, but his inconsistencies are maddening.

Completely agree, but they're not going to the playoffs so there's no reason to platoon him (if that's what this ends up being).
Share 49ersWebzone