2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by boast:

Gonna fap to that

The f**king man! All Hail Buster!
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I agree that Posey is the most indispensable player in baseball . Can you imagine how bad the Giants would be without him?

i can't and WON'T imagine this team without the MVP. ever!

Although I would still trade Posey, Lincecum, and Panda for Bryce Harper, RYan Zimmerman, and Strasburg. That one goes way back for those of you new on here.

Posey has proven to be the ultimate difference-maker and he hasn't even hit his prime yet. I wouldn't trade Posey straight-up for anyone, and I do mean anyone. Not Trout, not Harper, not Harvey, not Strasburg not Machado....not anyone of those guys. IMO, if we continue to build this team around strong pitching and Buster Posey, we'll win another 1-2 rings in the next 5 years.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I agree that Posey is the most indispensable player in baseball . Can you imagine how bad the Giants would be without him?

Although I would still trade Posey, Lincecum, and Panda for Bryce Harper, RYan Zimmerman, and Strasburg. That one goes way back for those of you new on here.

Posey has proven to be the ultimate difference-maker and he hasn't even hit his prime yet. I wouldn't trade Posey straight-up for anyone, and I do mean anyone. Not Trout, not Harper, not Harvey, not Strasburg not Machado....not anyone of those guys. IMO, if we continue to build this team around strong pitching and Buster Posey, we'll win another 1-2 rings in the next 5 years.

I like the way you think!

I probably wouldnt deal him straight up for anyone either. Mike Trout would be the one guy that would be tempting though. However, I still stand behind that deal I threw out 3 years ago for fun. Dumping fat boy and Timmy along with the MVP for the Washington trio would make the Giants much better. Washington would never do it obviously and it was always a fun hypothetical.

As for another 1-2 rings in the next 5 years... I would settle for ONE more in Buster's career with the Giants.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Jul 17, 2013 at 11:51 AM ]
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

And I'm not even saying Buster is more talented than those guys, because in most cases, he's not. Those guys (and others) might have more pure talent/athleticism, might put up more impressive numbers and be on better overall teams, but when they all get to the post-season, I'll put my money on the team Buster Posey is playing on every time.

And I'm not even saying Buster is more talented than those guys, because in most cases, he's not. Those guys (and others) might have more pure talent/athleticism, might put up more impressive numbers and be on better overall teams, but when they all get to the post-season, I'll put my money on the team Buster Posey is playing on every time.

I hear ya. Plus Buster's position is almost as valuable as you can get. You get a quality catcher who can hit and lead a team, you have the start of something big. So glad we extended him long term.

I hear ya. Plus Buster's position is almost as valuable as you can get. You get a quality catcher who can hit and lead a team, you have the start of something big. So glad we extended him long term.

My god Rubber. i think you are in love.

I probably wouldnt deal him straight up for anyone either. Mike Trout would be the one guy that would be tempting though. However, I still stand behind that deal I threw out 3 years ago for fun. Dumping fat boy and Timmy along with the MVP for the Washington trio would make the Giants much better. Washington would never do it obviously and it was always a fun hypothetical.

As for another 1-2 rings in the next 5 years... I would settle for ONE more in Buster's career with the Giants.

We just have to re-build the pitching staff and have enough hitting to win the division in the next few years and we could see it happen.

- 1 quality starter (#2/#3 type)
- 1 average starter (#4/#5 guy)
- bring back Vogey for one more year
- re-sign Pence
- sign a quality LFer

Pagan - CF
Scutaro - 2nd
Posey - C
Panda - 3rd
Pence - RF
Free agent - LF
Belt - 1st
Crawford - SS

#1 - MadBum
#2 - Cain
#3 - Free agent/trade #1
#4 - Free agent/trade #2
#5 - Vogey

#6/long-relief - Gaudin

[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jul 17, 2013 at 12:09 PM ]

We just have to re-build the pitching staff and have enough hitting to win the division in the next few years and we could see it happen.

- 1 quality starter (#2/#3 type)
- 1 average starter (#4/#5 guy)
- bring back Vogey for one more year
- re-sign Pence
- sign a quality LFer

Pagan - CF
Scutaro - 2nd
Posey - C
Panda - 3rd
Pence - RF
Free agent - LF
Belt - 1st
Crawford - SS

#1 - MadBum
#2 - Cain
#3 - Free agent/trade #1
#4 - Free agent/trade #2
#5 - Vogey

#6/long-relief - Gaudin

I just fired Sabean and hired you Ghost. Go get those guys.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
I think Marlon Byrd would be a nice fit in LF that wouldnt cost very much.

In my dreams I'd like to see Alex Rios or Carlos Gomez in LF at the deadline.

It seems though we are content with Francouer/Torres
[ Edited by Garcia on Jul 17, 2013 at 12:15 PM ]

If they're going to stay viable, they're going to have to spend a little more now given the Dodgers crazy/non-existent budget. That's just a fact of life in the NL West now...it's an arms race!
If they're going to stay viable, they're going to have to spend a little more now given the Dodgers crazy/non-existent budget. That's just a fact of life in the NL West now...it's an arms race!

Sabean needs to be smart though since they still have a limited budget. Signing Pagan to 4 years , Scutaro to 3 years, and Affeldt to 3 years were all NOT smart. In each case they were given too many years. I would do my best to move all of them if possible although its probably impossible now without eating money.

Sabean needs to be smart though since they still have a limited budget. Signing Pagan to 4 years , Scutaro to 3 years, and Affeldt to 3 years were all NOT smart. In each case they were given too many years. I would do my best to move all of them if possible although its probably impossible now without eating money.

They each definitely got more years than necessary, but I also think those guys can still contribute to a championship next year. Beyond 2014 though, Skoots and Affeldt will likely be dead weight.

this! And they better not give me no small market b******t. We sell that place out like crazy, it is or almost is about to be paid off, Zito's money is coming off the books, and we just won two titles. They have the cash!

Yea, all of them were given too many years and 2 of them were overpaid IMO.

I didn't want Pagan because we had Blanco and Gary Browns waiting in the wings (before he was labeled a bust)
I didn't Affeldt because we had lopez and Mijares (sp?) as lefties in the pen.
I wanted Scutaro and I didn't mind that he was overpaid OR given an extra year. We didn't have anyone else who could step in.

So I agree with you that Sabes needs to be more fiscal reponsible. I just hope our pitching in the system can develop.
Share 49ersWebzone