LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 132 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
It's Nth degree, not 10th degree. And Any more back and forth between you guys will end up in warnings. So please, stop.

I think you should just give us both 25% warnings. Calling me an a*****e. Not nice.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Jul 15, 2013 at 5:48 PM ]
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Don't want Lincecum back for anything more than 6-7 mil/yr. That way if he ends up in the bullpen, which I'm sure he will, he'll be just an overpaid bullpen arm. And my stance won't change even if he wins every start for the rest of the year.

And I want to get as far from Zito as humanly possible.

These are two pitchers I simply do not trust under multi-year deals.

I understand what you're sayonh but lincy will get a 12+ million contract from someone due to his reputation and his no hitter

You're right, I just hope it's not from us. I think his best days are in the rearview, but wtf do I know.

I agree. There is no way I would get locked into a large multi year deal for Lincecum. I also do believe someone like Seattle will offer him a 10+ million dollar deal with the hope that a change of scenery can change things for him.
Lincecum has seemingly turned the corner and his BABIP has been pretty high this year. If he continues to get better and keep hitters off-balance with his slider, I think he's at least worth a qualifying offer. He leaves and we get a pick, win/win.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Lincecum has seemingly turned the corner and his BABIP has been pretty high this year. If he continues to get better and keep hitters off-balance with his slider, I think he's at least worth a qualifying offer. He leaves and we get a pick, win/win.

I dont know. The qualifying offer could be 14M. That is too much for Lincecum given his track record the past 2 years. A lot will depend on his 2nd half but right now I wouldnt.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
I'm so disappointed in blackburns performance so far. His k to walks ratio is phenomenal but his era was in the mid 4 s.

Has neone here seen him live to give an analysis on his struggles?

Ghost would be the one I could think of that has.

He's a strike-thrower who doesn't have overpowering stuff, but he dominated in his first month at high A with great control and the ability to mix his pitches well. Unfortunately, once teams started to get familiar with his pitching style, they started pounding him (his May/June numbers were awful). He's had two really good starts recently, but it's been against one of the weaker offensive teams in the league (Visalia). The good thing is he's young for the league and it wouldn't be terrible to see him repeat the Cal League which is what I expect to happen.

Bottom line, I think he'll be fine in the long-run because he's making the right adjustments and he really understand the art of pitching, but he's still 3-4 years away (IMO) as he learns how to get out better quality hitters with his below-average stuff.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
He's a strike-thrower who doesn't have overpowering stuff, but he dominated in his first month at high A with great control and the ability to mix his pitches well. Unfortunately, once teams started to get familiar with his pitching style, they started pounding him (his May/June numbers were awful). He's had two really good starts recently, but it's been against one of the weaker offensive teams in the league (Visalia). The good thing is he's young for the league and it wouldn't be terrible to see him repeat the Cal League which is what I expect to happen.

Bottom line, I think he'll be fine in the long-run because he's making the right adjustments and he really understand the art of pitching, but he's still 3-4 years away (IMO) as he learns how to get out better quality hitters with his below-average stuff.

I'm curious how you're you so familiar with our farm system?
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

I'm curious how you're you so familiar with our farm system?

Season ticket holder in San Jose so I keep an eye on the kids coming up and when the players here move on through the system. Just an interest of mine but I'm in no way connected to the organization or a professional in any way.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

I dont know. The qualifying offer could be 14M. That is too much for Lincecum given his track record the past 2 years. A lot will depend on his 2nd half but right now I wouldnt.

If he keeps it up, then it's worth it to make to offer. Don't know if you've seen the free agent pitchers for 2014 but there's not much to choose from for a reasonable one year deal.
Looking at the Tigers top 5 back on page 2999, although I would hold firm on no trading Romo to Tigers unless Nick Catellanos is in the trade package, if it's just Lincecum and Lopez, I would be very pleased if we could the Tigers #3 Danry Vasquez and Tigers #4 Jonathan Crawford. That would be quite a hall for two expiring contracts and it appears those two prospects would have significantly more value than a first round compensation pick in next years draft.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
I think Sabean will offer the OQ.

But I'm not interested in keeping Timmy on a multi year deal. I'm content with the fact we got Timmy's best years. I'd rather someone else pay for his decline years.

Originally posted by sfgiantdave:
Looking at the Tigers top 5 back on page 2999, although I would hold firm on no trading Romo to Tigers unless Nick Catellanos is in the trade package, if it's just Lincecum and Lopez, I would be very pleased if we could the Tigers #3 Danry Vasquez and Tigers #4 Jonathan Crawford. That would be quite a hall for two expiring contracts and it appears those two prospects would have significantly more value than a first round compensation pick in next years draft.

It looks like #4 Jonathan Crawford can't be traded this year since he was a 2013 draft pick. Needless to say, I do believe the Tigers have enough pieces to make a trade which would make it worth while for Lincecum and Lopez even if they don't offer their #1 and #2.
[ Edited by sfgiantdave on Jul 15, 2013 at 8:28 PM ]
As for Davis himself suggesting 61 is the record, Votto had the best quip: "Maybe he's just being selfish, saying that if he beats the record he'll get to wear a crown or something."

[ Edited by itlynstalyn on Jul 15, 2013 at 8:22 PM ]
This idiot a's fan wrote this on facebook:

That's how the A's do it baby!!! Cespedes!!! Where were them Giants at in this?! Lol

I guess someone won the HR derby or something? He's talking about the G's winning two out of three championships is a fluke.

I know h8ters gon hate but damn, be educated......
Yeah that's pretty dumb, not like they won the WS.
why isn't Belt in the derby?
Share 49ersWebzone