LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 207 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by Niners99:
I agree, but theres no way Detroit trades a top 20 prospect for a couple of RP.

Also, trading Romo for Avisail Garcia would be idiotic. We could do MUCH better than that.

I just threw that name out there because thats the only know I can remember from what Larry Kruger said.

Apparently they have 5 top prospects they are willing to deal for bullpen help.

Look I'm with Ninerjohn, I'm not desperate to trade anyone, outside of Bumgarner and Posey I would listen to what other teams have to offer for our other players if a team gets desperate and overpays then the trigger should be pulled. If teams are just low balling then hold onto our players and just DFA players like Zito and Torres, Francouer etc.

With that said, I would try to find a way to shut Matt Cain down for the season. I think all those innings pitched in previous years have caught up to him this year, so I would try find a way to give Cain an extended layoff and hope he comes in fresh for the 2014 season.
[ Edited by sfgiantdave on Jul 15, 2013 at 3:03 PM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfgiantdave:
Look I'm with Ninerjohn, I'm not desperate to trade anyone, outside of Bumgarner and Posey I would listen to what other teams have to offer for our other players if a team gets desperate and overpays then the trigger should be pulled. If teams are just low balling then hold onto our players and just DFA players like Zito and Torres, Francouer etc.

With that said, I would try to find a way to shut Matt Cain down for the season. I think all those innings pitched in previous years have caught up to him this year, so I would try find a way to give Cain an extended layoff and hope he comes in fresh for the 2014 season.

I've stated this before, but it seems like Detroit is willing to give up 1 or more top blue chip prospects.

but trading for prospects doesnt seem like the G's MO.... wondering if they should change that up or not.

I've stated this before, but it seems like Detroit is willing to give up 1 or more top blue chip prospects.

but trading for prospects doesnt seem like the G's MO.... wondering if they should change that up or not.

Detroit can't contend for a WS title without getting help in the bullpen, I think Detroit is ripe for the picking it just comes down to how desperate they will get. Once they get desperate enough then we should work out a trade with them.

If Detroit doesn't get desperate enough I'm more than happy to have Romo back as our closer next year and give Lincecum a qualifying offer and pick up an extra draft pick for next years draft should he end up signing elsewhere.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
All star break. This team needs it.

A recap of the first half- feel free to add to it.

a. Scutaro can still hit, but his defense is s**t.
b. Vogey's injury hurt
c. Pagan's injury hurt
d. Pablo's injury hurt, and his waste hurts
e. Timmy was horrible on the road
f. Zito is the worst on the road
g. Cain was not Cain for most of the first half
h. Belt is still inconsistent
i. Crawford has been a pleasant surprise
j. We are still hurting in LF
k. Pence has been solid
l. Posey is the f**king man
m. Affeldt hates us all which explains why he sucks
n. Romo is solid
o. the pen sucks this year
p. Rosario is a pleasant surprise
q. Kontos is warmed up dookie
r. Quiroz is not as good at the plate as Hector
s. Hector is not as good as Quiroz behind the plate
t. Posey is f**king good
u. Blanco has been solid
v. Our farm system is depleted outside Crick
w. Timmy threw a no-no
x. Posey is f**king good
y. Boch has made more bone head moves this year than the last 3 years combined
z. We need a set up man in the pen

don't forget that Tanaka is the franchise

For sure!

Detroit can't contend for a WS title without getting help in the bullpen, I think Detroit is ripe for the picking it just comes down to how desperate they will get. Once they get desperate enough then we should work out a trade with them.

If Detroit doesn't get desperate enough I'm more than happy to have Romo back as our closer next year and give Lincecum a qualifying offer and pick up an extra draft pick for next years draft should he end up signing elsewhere.

I'm in this same line of thinking. If they want to give the Giants Castellanos for Romo and maybe another bullpen arm, then you do it because you desperately need LF help.

I just never put too much stock in closers, although it is a great luxury to have a consistent one when you're winning.
  • Garce
  • Veteran

sayin'

Detroit, like the Giants, has a lack of minor league talent. ( maybe even worse). They arent going to trade Castellanos for a RP and I'm not sure they have other impact bats that I would want in return for Romo.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
All star break. This team needs it.

A recap of the first half- feel free to add to it.

a. Scutaro can still hit, but his defense is s**t.
b. Vogey's injury hurt
c. Pagan's injury hurt
d. Pablo's injury hurt, and his waste hurts
e. Timmy was horrible on the road
f. Zito is the worst on the road
g. Cain was not Cain for most of the first half
h. Belt is still inconsistent
i. Crawford has been a pleasant surprise
j. We are still hurting in LF
k. Pence has been solid
l. Posey is the f**king man
m. Affeldt hates us all which explains why he sucks
n. Romo is solid
o. the pen sucks this year
p. Rosario is a pleasant surprise
q. Kontos is warmed up dookie
r. Quiroz is not as good at the plate as Hector
s. Hector is not as good as Quiroz behind the plate
t. Posey is f**king good
u. Blanco has been solid
v. Our farm system is depleted outside Crick
w. Timmy threw a no-no
x. Posey is f**king good
y. Boch has made more bone head moves this year than the last 3 years combined
z. We need a set up man in the pen

aa. - gaudin has been solid
p.s. - posey is f*ckin good
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Detroit, like the Giants, has a lack of minor league talent. ( maybe even worse). They arent going to trade Castellanos for a RP and I'm not sure they have other impact bats that I would want in return for Romo.

You say this like you know.... you dont know. Their are reports they are willing to deal there top 5 prospects in turn for bullpen help, these are per sources from Larry Kruger, where are your sources?

Like I thought before, I suspected Detroit would be desperate for bullpen help, and they are. The rest of their team is amazing this is the only thing standing from them and a championship - I bet they would be willing to deal 1-2 of those 5. If you disagree I would like to hear some proof on why because not doing so wouldnt make sense for them.
[ Edited by Garcia on Jul 15, 2013 at 3:48 PM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Detroit Top 5

5. Bruce Rondon SP

If you're not familiar with Rondon's arsenal, he features a fastball that ranges from 99-102. Seriously. 102. If you don't believe me, check out his pitch f/x from yesterday, July 8, or his player card on Brooks Baseball. His fastball average for July is 101.8. That is not slow. Reports in the minor leagues have discussed plus movement on said fastball. In the majors, I haven't seen it yet. But, once he settles in, the movement may return. He also features a 90 MPH slider, which flashes plus (how couldn't it? he throws 102) and a 92 MPH change. Seriously. A 92 MPH change up. That pitch has flashed plus, too.

4. Jonathon Crawford SP/RP

As far as Jonathon's repertoire goes, his fastball sits mostly in the 91-94 range, yet can touch 96 or 97. He is known to maintain his velocity deep into games. His slider is his best pitch. No doubt about it. It's got two plane, tight, sharp break, and depending who you're talking to, is either a plus, or even plus plus on the scouting scale. He will throw it at any time, in any count, and typically uses it as his out pitch. His change up is a work in progress, and I'm sure that the Tigers will attempt to develop that pitch if they intend on making him a starter. He has trouble controlling it, but the pitch has the potential to become major league average.

3. Danry Vazquez

He's wirey at 6'3 170, and is already relegated to a corner spot in the OF. But oh man, that swing is so, so sweet. He keeps the bat flat through the hitting zone for a really long time, especially for a teenager. Danry has also got a nice approach at the plate, evidenced by the 7.5% walk rate and only a 14% K rate (which is awesome).

2. Avisail Garcia

Garcia is legitimately a 5 tool talent. He has put on legendary batting practice displays, shown some in game power as well, squares the ball up and hits for average, is a plus runner (I'm not debating this again), a plus defender in a corner OF spot, and has a cannon for an arm. He can impact the game without hitting.

It's evident at this point that Garcia is too good for the minors. He's hitting .463/.478/.657 in AAA so far. I think you'll see him in AAA for an extended period of time, probably for another 6 weeks of AB. Avi needs to play every day to hone his skills. The 'problem', if you want to call it that, is that AAA pitchers are not good enough to feast on his weaknesses, and he's able to mash their mistakes. The only way that Garcia is probably going to improve at this point is by taking his lumps in the majors, before ultimately adjusting and having success.

1. Nick Castellanos

As far as Castellanos' ceiling goes, I think it's hard to imagine. At his ceiling and prime, something line .300/.375/.525 is not out of the realm of possibility. He could amass over 60 extra base hits no problem. I am not a big fan of player comps, but his numbers could look similar to someone like Billy Butler, who is a damn good hitter. I think that he will play the outfield for a couple more seasons, and hopefully, switch back to 3B, like what Chase Headley of San Diego did a couple years ago. At 3B, there is not as much pressure for the bat to play, like there is in the OF, and if Castellanos could put up a low to mid 800's OPS while playing average D at 3B, that is an impact player.

source
[ Edited by Garcia on Jul 15, 2013 at 3:57 PM ]

You say this like you know.... you dont know. Their are reports they are willing to deal there top 5 prospects in turn for bullpen help, these are per sources from Larry Kruger, where are your sources?

Like I thought before, I suspected Detroit would be desperate for bullpen help, and they are. The rest of their team is amazing this is the only thing standing from them and a championship - I bet they would be willing to deal 1-2 of those 5. If you disagree I would like to hear some proof on why because not doing so wouldnt make sense for them.

LOL. I know about a zillion times more that you do I can promise you that. But so does my dog. They arent going to trade Nick Catellanos for Sergio Romo. Period. End of story. You dont trade a top 20 propsect in all of baseball for a closer unless they are Mariano Rivera in their prime. They wouldnt do that for Papelbon or anyone.

I never said they wouldnt trade Rondon or one of their lesser guys. I just dont happen to think they are that great.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Jul 15, 2013 at 4:14 PM ]

LOL. I know about a zillion times more that you do I can promise you that. But so does my dog. They arent going to trade Nick Catellanos for Sergio Romo. Period. End of story.

lol BURN!
  • Garce
  • Veteran
LOL. I know about a zillion times more that you do I can promise you that. But so does my dog. They arent going to trade Nick Catellanos for Sergio Romo. Period. End of story. You dont trade a top 20 propsect in all of baseball for a closer unless they are Mariano Rivera in their prime. They wouldnt do that for Papelbon or anyone.

I never said they wouldnt trade Rondon or one of their lesser guys. I just dont happen to think they are that great.

If I had a nickel for every time you started a post with, "LOL"

If I had a nickel for every time you started a post with, "LOL"

If I had a nickle for everytime you made a stupid post I could retire. Now, go report me. You are good at that.
Originally posted by Niners99:
I agree, but theres no way Detroit trades a top 20 prospect for a couple of RP.

Also, trading Romo for Avisail Garcia would be idiotic. We could do MUCH better than that.

I just threw that name out there because thats the only know I can remember from what Larry Kruger said.

Apparently they have 5 top prospects they are willing to deal for bullpen help.

Never thought I'd say this, but I agree with shutting down Cain IF it's clear by say mid-August that we're out of the race.
Share 49ersWebzone