There are 277 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Garcia:
If he does do that, why would we trade him? If he doesn't, who would want him and what could we actually get back of value for him?

Meant Villalona not Belt.

Oh, that's a different story. I'd try and trade Villalona anyway for quality starting pitching, regardless of what Belt does. Though Villalona would have to be part of a package as he alone wouldn't command much.

Villalona is going to be worth far more to us than anything wed get for him.

We are desperate for talented hitting prospects, so giving them up isnt a good idea. Also, Villalona is still young, but the huge loss of development time set him back so far that nobody is going to take the risk on him for more than a mediocre type return.

Ive noticed nobody has mentioned Adam Duvall down in AA. He put up a 30/100 season last year in high A, and has been producing decent power in AA despite missed time. He could eventually replace Sandoval at 3B.
Originally posted by Niners99:
If he does do that, why would we trade him? If he doesn't, who would want him and what could we actually get back of value for him?

Meant Villalona not Belt.

Oh, that's a different story. I'd try and trade Villalona anyway for quality starting pitching, regardless of what Belt does. Though Villalona would have to be part of a package as he alone wouldn't command much.

Villalona is going to be worth far more to us than anything wed get for him.

We are desperate for talented hitting prospects, so giving them up isnt a good idea. Also, Villalona is still young, but the huge loss of development time set him back so far that nobody is going to take the risk on him for more than a mediocre type return.

Ive noticed nobody has mentioned Adam Duvall down in AA. He put up a 30/100 season last year in high A, and has been producing decent power in AA despite missed time. He could eventually replace Sandoval at 3B.

Villalona has incredible power, there's no doubt about it...but it will take him years to fix the hole in his swing, and I'm just not sure he's capable of approaching hitting any other way. If he can fix what's broken, he could be an amazing offensive threat (and he's actually ok defensively too), but that's a huge "if" IMO.

Agree about Duvall's hitting, but watching him play 3rd is almost embarrassing. He's doing a little better this year, but it was tough watching him defensively in San Jose. I generally sat in section G (3rd base lower box seats) last year and was maybe 20-25 yards away because I wanted to really get a close look at him as a prospect. Unfortunately, 3rd just just doesn't come naturally to him. He locks up pretty quickly when a ball is hit directly at him, and doesn't have soft hands at all. He's a good athlete and can get to a lot of balls to the right, left or hit slowly in front of him...but shots hit directly at him are an adventure. I'd say LF is a better option for him, but that's just from my vantage point.

They've also tried Duvall at 1st for a few games in Richmond, so that's something to keep an eye on too.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jul 2, 2013 at 2:25 PM ]
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
hacum Garcia wants to trade errrybody?
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boast:

weak farm system... looking ahead to the future.
7.2.13 #SFGiants lineup: Blanco cf, Scutaro 2b, Posey c, Sandoval 3b, Pence rf, Belt 1b, Torres lf, Crawford ss, Lincecum p
Originally posted by vrabbit:
7.2.13 #SFGiants lineup: Blanco cf, Scutaro 2b, Posey c, Sandoval 3b, Pence rf, Belt 1b, Torres lf, Crawford ss, Lincecum p

Panda is definitely playing poorly as of late, I think it may be time to switch he and Pence until he gets hot again.

Who are you trading them for though? Nobody wants weak prospects. We arent going to be able to trade a bunch of our non-top 100 guys for anything good. You start over by drafting better.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:

Who are you trading them for though? Nobody wants weak prospects. We arent going to be able to trade a bunch of our non-top 100 guys for anything good. You start over by drafting better.

He would have to continue to develop well and like GOFD said, package with something for preferably SP or good SP Prospects
nevermind
[ Edited by vrabbit on Jul 2, 2013 at 4:24 PM ]
Originally posted by vrabbit:
nevermind

Timmy
[ Edited by VaBeachNiner on Jul 2, 2013 at 4:26 PM ]

lol losing already, argh...
Bailey is gonna carve through us tonight on national television... great
We look totally overmatched right now. Hate to say it, but I wouldn't be surprised if we got no-hit tonight.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
We look totally overmatched right now. Hate to say it, but I wouldn't be surprised if we got no-hit tonight.

He was amazing in game 3 in the NLDS last year. They easily should have won that game if not for Scott Rolen's error.

He was amazing in game 3 in the NLDS last year. They easily should have won that game if not for Scott Rolen's error.

Yup, definitely doesn't look good for us tonight.
Share 49ersWebzone