LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 157 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by SFrush:
I would expect Houston to want Crick for Norris.

Good to hear we're not on Gallardo's no trade list.

They may want that but they would never get that. Norris is a good middle to back end guy with a good contract but not worth your top prospect thats for sure.

Absolutely. That would be a horrific trade and it would be totally unnecessary. Sure, Houston is going to want a top prospect back for Norris, but nobody is going to give them one so they'll settle for 2nd tier prospects. For us, that would be an Adelberto Mejia, Angel Villalona, Ty Blach or maybe even a Joe Panik. I also think Gary Brown could be in that mix.
Not a tough choice. Pass on Gallardo, dont trade Crick, and put a deal together for Norris without dealing Crick, Statton, or Blackburn.

That would be ideal if their wasn't going to be much competition for Norris. But it's quite the contrary.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Not a tough choice. Pass on Gallardo, dont trade Crick, and put a deal together for Norris without dealing Crick, Statton, or Blackburn.

That would be ideal if their wasn't going to be much competition for Norris. But it's quite the contrary.

The problem is we have like 4 holes to fill.

OF Help, SP and 2 Bullpen guys.

Thats a tough assignment for any GM with minimal assets in the farm system and mid-season.
I think we could fill two... which ones would we pick?

I'd say, OF (Alex Rios anyone?) and SP that way we can move Lince to the bullpen.
But if this were to happen we would have to give up at least one of those guys I imagine, I'm not sure I'm willing to do that.

Any older guys that we can get on the cheap that still be can productive?
[ Edited by Garcia on Jun 28, 2013 at 12:26 PM ]
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:

Gallardo yes please

I'm with you. Best available pitcher that's cost controlled.

I'm also hoping the Dbacks or Rockies don't get him.
Originally posted by Garcia:

The problem is we have like 4 holes to fill.

OF Help, SP and 2 Bullpen guys.

Thats a tough assignment for any GM with minimal assets in the farm system and mid-season.
I think we could fill two... which ones would we pick?

I'd say, OF (Alex Rios anyone?) and SP that way we can move Lince to the bullpen.
But if this were to happen we would have to give up at least one of those guys I imagine, I'm not sure I'm willing to do that.

Any older guys that we can get on the cheap that still be can productive?

what the hell would Rios cost? ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

They may want that but they would never get that. Norris is a good middle to back end guy with a good contract but not worth your top prospect thats for sure.

Absolutely. That would be a horrific trade and it would be totally unnecessary. Sure, Houston is going to want a top prospect back for Norris, but nobody is going to give them one so they'll settle for 2nd tier prospects. For us, that would be an Adelberto Mejia, Angel Villalona, Ty Blach or maybe even a Joe Panik. I also think Gary Brown could be in that mix.

Houston doesn't have to settle for anything. If they feel they aren't being offered enough they can keep Norris and deal him next year.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Jon Paul Morosi just said on the rundown Gallardo is on our list.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by vrabbit:

Calm the f**k down. Jesus Christ.

If we are going to give up top prospects I want a proven guy who is under contract, he is one of those people. He is under contract the next two years. But if you read my post, I am not necessarily ready to unload our top young guys. I'm not saying this is what we should do but IF WE DO this is what I would want.

he has a costly contract so maybe that give us some leeway as far as what we give up.
[ Edited by Garcia on Jun 28, 2013 at 12:58 PM ]
Originally posted by Hopper:

Houston doesn't have to settle for anything. If they feel they aren't being offered enough they can keep Norris and deal him next year.

Very true...I just don't think they'll get a top prospect for Norris. I think they'll be able to pry away decent quantity (2-3 quality prospects), but not high quality/top-tier guys.

And yes, they can hold on to him and HOPE he pitches as well next year, or they can get the best deal for him now when his value as at the highest. I think they'll do the latter.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jun 28, 2013 at 1:21 PM ]

Very true...I just don't think they'll get a top prospect for Norris. I think they'll be able to pry away decent quantity (2-3 quality prospects), but not high quality/top-tier guys.

And yes, they can hold on to him and HOPE he pitches as well next year, or they can get the best deal for him now when his value as at the highest. I think they'll do the latter.

Agreed. It makes the most sense to deal him now when there are a few teams with pitching needs. Maybe they can get someone to overpay. Houston will want a couple of guys back that have nice upsides. Not going to get a premier prospect though.

Agreed. It makes the most sense to deal him now when there are a few teams with pitching needs. Maybe they can get someone to overpay. Houston will want a couple of guys back that have nice upsides. Not going to get a premier prospect though.

Exactly. On a contending team (which is where he'll be traded to), Norris is a #3 at best and simply doesn't warrant a REAL top prospect. Sure, a team might give away someone that is "perceived" to be a top prospect but that their own internal scouting/assessment says otherwise, but I'd be floored if they actually got someone of high value for Norris.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran

I agree. I just think they have a little more leverage than you think.
[ Edited by Hopper on Jun 28, 2013 at 1:53 PM ]
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by vrabbit:

Calm the f**k down. Jesus Christ.

If we are going to give up top prospects I want a proven guy who is under contract, he is one of those people. He is under contract the next two years. But if you read my post, I am not necessarily ready to unload our top young guys. I'm not saying this is what we should do but IF WE DO this is what I would want.

he has a costly contract so maybe that give us some leeway as far as what we give up.

Let's do the Kawakami trade from like 4 years ago. Rios for Lincecum straight up. Done and Done.

I agree. I just think they have a little more leverage than you think.

I totally recognize their leverage and the market dynamics. More importantly, one can never underestimate the stupidity of baseball GMs, I'll grant you that.
6.28.13 #SFGiants lineup: Blanco CF Scutaro 2B Posey C Sandoval 3B Pence RF Belt 1B Torres LF Crawford SS Zito P
Share 49ersWebzone