LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
Gallardo or cliff lee, don't want scrubby nolasco

you're looking to trade basically all our top prospects for one of those guys

Yep. Just see the big names and say I WANT.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
Gallardo or cliff lee, don't want scrubby nolasco

you're looking to trade basically all our top prospects for one of those guys

Yep. Just see the big names and say I WANT.

i been screaming for Stanton since the season started, but even i can be a bit realistic here.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
If you look at WAR from a perspective of end-all-be-all stat then you're bound to think it's flawed because that's not what it is. It just provides perspective to how much value the player holds over a readily-available replacement-level player (bench or minors). First base, catcher and short are all important defensive positions on the diamond and WAR takes that into account accordingly.

Like I said before, Belt is a productive first baseman for sure but not by far the best or the worst and of course needs to improve.

I just think that some people tend to get too carried away with Sabermetrics and things like WAR. Until Belt learns to hit with more consistency and power there is no way I'd put him in the top half of first baseman or say that he is a real productive player. He has his streaks where he looks like that player but just isnt consistent enough YET.

Sorry.. but putting 1B as an important defensive position like SS or C is just downright silly. I'm not saying that it isnt great to have a good defensive first baseman but 1B is a positon where you need a bat that can produce runs.

This is more of a debate on WAR than it is about Belt. Hell, they have Scutaro as high as Robinson Cano. REALLY?

Traditional baseball minds don't like to include sabermetrics, case and point. Just different point of views in terms of whether or not a player is productive.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
If the price is reasonable from Houston Bud Norris is the best choice. Proven pitcher, from the Bay Area, team controlled, can miss bats and a fly ball pitcher which is good at ATT.

Gallardo.. best pitcher but will cost more than the Giants have to give up
Garza - will want big $$ and a FA after this year
Nolasco - making too much money for how good he is and a FA after this year

Norris.. Made just 3M this year and may make 5-6 next year in arbitration .

I'd rather pay more money than give up higher quality prospects. I dont understand your hard on for bud norris. dude is a 4th starter.
Originally posted by Garcia:
maybe take a look at Jake Arrieta.

someone with some upside.

LOL Jake Arrieta. I guess his career 5.5 ERA or his 7.2 ERA this year doesnt bother you. The Orioles are desperate for pitching yet he cant break into their rotation. How would he be an improvement over Chad Gaudin even?

He would come cheap, has a live arm and has upside / potential.

Ideal candidate for the deadline. In this park and with our coaching he could blossom in a change of scenery.

Jake Arrieta would be a great addition.....to the Fresno Grizzlies rotation. I would MUCH rather have Gaudin over crappy Arrieta.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
Jake Arrieta would be a great addition.....to the Fresno Grizzlies rotation. I would MUCH rather have Gaudin over crappy Arrieta.

It would a low-risk high reward move. Nothing more.
If the price is reasonable from Houston Bud Norris is the best choice. Proven pitcher, from the Bay Area, team controlled, can miss bats and a fly ball pitcher which is good at ATT.

I'd rather pay more money than give up higher quality prospects. I dont understand your hard on for bud norris. dude is a 4th starter.

Best reasonably priced SP on the market. He wouldnt cost a top prospect, hes good, hes young, hes cheap, and hes under team control for 2 more years.

You dont get why we like Bud Norris, yet think Jake Arrieta is a good idea?
  • Garce
  • Veteran

Best reasonably priced SP on the market. He wouldnt cost a top prospect, hes good, hes young, hes cheap, and hes under team control for 2 more years.

You dont get why we like Bud Norris, yet think Jake Arrieta is a good idea?

Jake Arrieta wouldnt cost nearly as much as Norris, he's younger, he has more arm talent and has a higher ceiling if he pans out. Could be a solid #3 if he finds his potential.

Bud Norris isnt high risk. I hate to break it to you, but outside our top 3 pitching prospects, we dont have many valuable guys. Bud Norris for almost anyone else would be a low risk move, with MUCH higher upside. Jake Arrieta's upside is veteran spot starter. We need a SP that can help us right NOW, not a project for Righetti.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Jake Arrieta? am I missing something?

• Garce
  • Veteran

Bud Norris isnt high risk. I hate to break it to you, but outside our top 3 pitching prospects, we dont have many valuable guys. Bud Norris for almost anyone else would be a low risk move, with MUCH higher upside. Jake Arrieta's upside is veteran spot starter. We need a SP that can help us right NOW, not a project for Righetti.

I'm curious how this will turn out.

BTW I'd rather get Garza
[ Edited by Garcia on Jun 25, 2013 at 4:40 PM ]
Originally posted by Hopper:

No. Garcia on the other hand ........................

LOL There you go.. tainting the thread again. Bud Norris >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jake f**king Arrieta. The Giants dont need a #1 or #2. They have Cain and Bumgarner. They need a dependable starter who can fit their park and the middle to back end of the rotation.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hopper:

No. Garcia on the other hand ........................

Okay, allow me to clarify. Jake Arrieta was just a suggestion.

I'd rather take a chance on him than Bud Norris.

But above both those guys I think Garza would be the ideal fit.
Jake Arrieta wouldnt cost nearly as much as Norris, he's younger, he has more arm talent and has a higher ceiling if he pans out. Could be a solid #3 if he finds his potential.

And he has more talent because he throws harder? Is that what you are trying to get at? Because if thats it there are probably 50 guys in the minors that throw harder.
Share 49ersWebzone