LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Freeman everyday, even in the offseason.
If you look at WAR from a perspective of end-all-be-all stat then you're bound to think it's flawed because that's not what it is. It just provides perspective to how much value the player holds over a readily-available replacement-level player (bench or minors). First base, catcher and short are all important defensive positions on the diamond and WAR takes that into account accordingly.

Like I said before, Belt is a productive first baseman for sure but not by far the best or the worst and of course needs to improve.
http://deadspin.com/get-a-load-of-this-f**king-giants-fan-574413525

here is another dude that cares about WAR
[ Edited by ads_2006 on Jun 25, 2013 at 2:12 PM ]
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
If you look at WAR from a perspective of end-all-be-all stat then you're bound to think it's flawed because that's not what it is. It just provides perspective to how much value the player holds over a readily-available replacement-level player (bench or minors). First base, catcher and short are all important defensive positions on the diamond and WAR takes that into account accordingly.

Like I said before, Belt is a productive first baseman for sure but not by far the best or the worst and of course needs to improve.

I just think that some people tend to get too carried away with Sabermetrics and things like WAR. Until Belt learns to hit with more consistency and power there is no way I'd put him in the top half of first baseman or say that he is a real productive player. He has his streaks where he looks like that player but just isnt consistent enough YET.

Sorry.. but putting 1B as an important defensive position like SS or C is just downright silly. I'm not saying that it isnt great to have a good defensive first baseman but 1B is a positon where you need a bat that can produce runs.

This is more of a debate on WAR than it is about Belt. Hell, they have Scutaro as high as Robinson Cano. REALLY?
If we get Nolasco or another SP, what do you think happens to the rotation once Vogey returns?

Vogey to pen? Timmy to pen?
Originally posted by SacRock14:
If we get Nolasco or another SP, what do you think happens to the rotation once Vogey returns?

I would think that if Vogey came back pitching well that they would move Timmy to the pen.
  • Garce
  • Veteran

f**k Ricky Nolasco.

Id rather get Garza.
[ Edited by Garcia on Jun 25, 2013 at 3:02 PM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran
maybe take a look at Jake Arrieta.

someone with some upside.
Originally posted by Garcia:

LOL Jake Arrieta. I guess his career 5.5 ERA or his 7.2 ERA this year doesnt bother you. The Orioles are desperate for pitching yet he cant break into their rotation. How would he be an improvement over Chad Gaudin even?

f**k Ricky Nolasco.

Id rather get Garza.

Yea me no want nolasco either

• Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

LOL Jake Arrieta. I guess his career 5.5 ERA or his 7.2 ERA this year doesnt bother you. The Orioles are desperate for pitching yet he cant break into their rotation. How would he be an improvement over Chad Gaudin even?

He would come cheap, has a live arm and has upside / potential.

Ideal candidate for the deadline. In this park and with our coaching he could blossom in a change of scenery.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
I think most of us fans would agree, we would be more pissed to lose Hembree than Gary Brown at this point.

Gary Brown has been on fire in AAA over the last few weeks. If we lose him, I'd rather get someone cost-controlled and not a rental.

Gallardo or cliff lee, don't want scrubby nolasco
If the price is reasonable from Houston Bud Norris is the best choice. Proven pitcher, from the Bay Area, team controlled, can miss bats and a fly ball pitcher which is good at ATT.

Gallardo.. best pitcher but will cost more than the Giants have to give up
Garza - will want big $$ and a FA after this year
Nolasco - making too much money for how good he is and a FA after this year

Norris.. Made just 3M this year and may make 5-6 next year in arbitration .
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
Gallardo or cliff lee, don't want scrubby nolasco

you're looking to trade basically all our top prospects for one of those guys
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

He would come cheap, has a live arm and has upside / potential.

Ideal candidate for the deadline. In this park and with our coaching he could blossom in a change of scenery.

Like I said.. Chad Gaudin is a better pitcher than Jake Arrieta. I'm not sure you can find 5 pitchers in all of baseball with worse stats than his over the past 2 years. Unless you like ERAs over 7 and whips of 1.8
Share 49ersWebzone