2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

• teeohh
  • Veteran
Come on vog
Two terrible starts in a row for Vogey.
vogey....
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
We really need to find a 1st baseman, I knew belt's spring training was a mirage

Way to overreact. Have some patience.

He got sick and lost 11 lbs. Give him a chance to get back into it.

I'm impatient, his 1st 2 yrs showed me he can hit the minors and exhibition games but not majors league pitching consistently. My patience runs thin especially on a team that needs every bat possible and that's not exactly a juggernaut. Knew he got sick but didn't know he lost 11 lbs, it's early but I won't be surprised if we end up looking for help at 1st
I know we tend to forget about it due to the rotation being so strong the last few years, but the Giants total disregard for a backup plan at SP is naive and borderline irresponsible.

We have nothing beyond our big league 5 man rotation. Surkamp is looking like a bust who cant even stay healthy, and the only other guy theyve tried is crappy Yusmeiro Petit.

If Vogelsongs magical 2nd career in the bigs starts to fade, or Lincecum needs to abandon being a starter, were going to be in trouble.
I know we tend to forget about it due to the rotation being so strong the last few years, but the Giants total disregard for a backup plan at SP is naive and borderline irresponsible.

We have nothing beyond our big league 5 man rotation. Surkamp is looking like a bust who cant even stay healthy, and the only other guy theyve tried is crappy Yusmeiro Petit.

If Vogelsongs magical 2nd career in the bigs starts to fade, or Lincecum needs to abandon being a starter, were going to be in trouble.

Cough zack wheeler cough
We really need to find a 1st baseman, I knew belt's spring training was a mirage

Way to overreact. Have some patience.

He got sick and lost 11 lbs. Give him a chance to get back into it.

I'm impatient, his 1st 2 yrs showed me he can hit the minors and exhibition games but not majors league pitching consistently. My patience runs thin especially on a team that needs every bat possible and that's not exactly a juggernaut. Knew he got sick but didn't know he lost 11 lbs, it's early but I won't be surprised if we end up looking for help at 1st

Nobody remembers that he spent only 1 season in pro ball before he made the ball club. He was drafted, and then went from low A to AAA in one year. Hes only been getting everyday AB's for about a half season now. He has 3 years of pro experience, and half of that was as a benchie/platoon guy. He has a ton of potential, just wait and see what he can do with everyday playing time.
lol pitching implosion

Cough zack wheeler cough

Yeah, having Wheeler to replace Lincecum wouldve been great. Good thing the FO was planning ahead.

With talented young arms like Blackburn, Crick, Stratton and possibly Marlowe, Kickham, Mejia and Escobar a few years away, we're projected to be in good shape in the long run. But you're right, in the short term, if Vogey and Timmy continue to struggle, we're screwed. That said, it's early and I can see both rebounding and having solid years.

Also, the reality of winning 3 titles in a short period of time isn't in our favor. Guys break-down, the pressure gets to others, the breaks stop going our way, the front office makes the wrong moves (or fails to make the right ones)....it's just the cyclical nature of sports. But long-term, I think we're in pretty good shape.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 11, 2013 at 1:05 PM ]

Oh s**t Pablo!!!
Cubs gonna Cub
Nice inning, got back in the game...wonder if we coulda scored 3 on that Pablo double though...

Vogey needs a shutdown inning.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
I can dig it
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

With talented young arms like Blackburn, Crick, Stratton and possibly Marlowe, Kickham, Mejia and Escobar a few years away, we're projected to be in good shape in the long run. But you're right, in the short term, if Vogey and Timmy continue to struggle, we're screwed. That said, it's early and I can see both rebounding and having solid years.

Also, the reality of winning 3 titles in a short period of time isn't in our favor. Guys break-down, the pressure gets to others, the breaks stop going our way, the front office makes the wrong moves (or fails to make the right ones)....it's just the cyclical nature of sports. But long-term, I think we're in pretty good shape.

Crick, Stratton, and Blackburn are all 3 years away. The rest of those names are longshots to be anything more than an average 4-5 or bullpen arm.

The Giants seem to putting all their eggs in the "everyone stay healthy and good" basket.
Share 49ersWebzone