LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 279 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by Muggins:
Originally posted by BayArea:
I was really hoping that the 9ers would match the Giants with a championship this year. As much as I love the Giants and as many games of theirs I see every year I would trade their two trophies for a 9ers trophy.

Trippin doot.

Yeah no the Niners will get theirs in the near future, enjoy the great baseball while we have it

Ya, no need to trade any WS trophy. Be happy the Niners already have 5 trophies......and counting.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Villalona looking like he'll be starting in SJ, just optioned there this morning.

he's still 22.

I think 2 years he's in the bigs.

God damn.

I know people say our Farm system is weak. But I don't necessarily agree. Yes, we don't really have any super star prospects...but look at our roster, they are all already in the bigs winning championships.

i think we have some nice pieces of young talent that can come up in the next few years and help keep us rolling, dynasty style.

going from the murder trial to the big leagues in 2 years is incredibly unlikely. He wasnt even showing much promise before the legal trouble. Id say a Sept. callup in 2015 is more realistic, if he makes it.

The murder trial has nothing to do with the time it takes him to reach the majors. He's been in pro-ball since he was 16 years old. If he's going straight to Fresno, and he murders it down there ( ), he'll get a call up at some point regardless of what has happened in his past.

The murder trial that totally interrupted his baseball development has nothing to do with it? He was gone for quite a while, and im guessing being accused of murder by the legal system doesnt exactly help you focus on your swing.

Hes not going to Fresno. Hes starting back where he left off in A ball. Hes never showed any signs of being a legit prospect since we first signed him. I dont get where people got this idea that he was almost ready. He was looking like an early bust before the murder trial. Hes been out dealing with that for what, 3 years? He isnt going to just step back into baseball and be on the fast track to the bigs. He last played regularly in the minors in 2009.

I hope he can overcome all the troubles and make it someday, but outside being a 16 year old manchild worthy of a lottery ticket signing bonus, hes been very underwhelming.

Have to agree. Saying that the murder had nothing to do with the amount of time it will take him to make the majors is ridiculous. Of course it set him back.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Have to agree. Saying that the murder had nothing to do with the amount of time it will take him to make the majors is ridiculous. Of course it set him back.

Tell that to Ray Lewis. Lol
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

Tell that to Ray Lewis. Lol

Get him on the WZ and I will tell him off. LOL I have no problem telling it like it is... like saying your golf game sucks.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Mar 8, 2013 at 7:40 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Villalona looking like he'll be starting in SJ, just optioned there this morning.

he's still 22.

I think 2 years he's in the bigs.

God damn.

I know people say our Farm system is weak. But I don't necessarily agree. Yes, we don't really have any super star prospects...but look at our roster, they are all already in the bigs winning championships.

i think we have some nice pieces of young talent that can come up in the next few years and help keep us rolling, dynasty style.

going from the murder trial to the big leagues in 2 years is incredibly unlikely. He wasnt even showing much promise before the legal trouble. Id say a Sept. callup in 2015 is more realistic, if he makes it.

The murder trial has nothing to do with the time it takes him to reach the majors. He's been in pro-ball since he was 16 years old. If he's going straight to Fresno, and he murders it down there ( ), he'll get a call up at some point regardless of what has happened in his past.

The murder trial that totally interrupted his baseball development has nothing to do with it? He was gone for quite a while, and im guessing being accused of murder by the legal system doesnt exactly help you focus on your swing.

Hes not going to Fresno. Hes starting back where he left off in A ball. Hes never showed any signs of being a legit prospect since we first signed him. I dont get where people got this idea that he was almost ready. He was looking like an early bust before the murder trial. Hes been out dealing with that for what, 3 years? He isnt going to just step back into baseball and be on the fast track to the bigs. He last played regularly in the minors in 2009.

I hope he can overcome all the troubles and make it someday, but outside being a 16 year old manchild worthy of a lottery ticket signing bonus, hes been very underwhelming.

In general, I think your constant and overall negativity is difficult to digest and often times smacks more of bitterness and anger more so than cold, factual analysis.

But in this case, I think you're spot on.

How's that for a back-handed compliment?

Around Giants fans, im "too negative". Around other fans, im "a homer".

Im all for being confident in my team, but people tend to go overboard.

Btw, what exactly would I be "bitter" and "angry" about?

I have no idea. I'm saying that's how you come across most of the time so it's an observation not a statement of fact.
I was really hoping that the 9ers would match the Giants with a championship this year. As much as I love the Giants and as many games of theirs I see every year I would trade their two trophies for a 9ers trophy.

Seriously? Hard to believe you love the Giants THAT much if you would trade BOTH of their WS titles for one SB trophy. I can only figure that you must be really young and never enjoyed the many SB wins. I wouldn't trade even one of the Giants WS wins for a Niner SB. I went through too many years of suffering with the Giants to ever do that.

That's not my claim. I was saying that it's something in his past and that he can now move forward and possibly reach his potential, and it's not out of the realm of possibilities for that to happen within two years. Of course not being in ball hindered his career, but that's the past and from here on out he has an opportunity. I just think it's silly to write off a 22 year old this early. Chances are he won't make it, maybe ever, but I'm not one to sit here and make definitive statements on the kid's future.
I dont think anyone is totally writing off the kid. You are right that it would be silly to do that at his age. However, the time away from the game is going to make it very difficult to suddenly figure it out and get to the majors in 2 years. He has a lot of catching up to do.

That's not my claim. I was saying that it's something in his past and that he can now move forward and possibly reach his potential, and it's not out of the realm of possibilities for that to happen within two years. Of course not being in ball hindered his career, but that's the past and from here on out he has an opportunity. I just think it's silly to write off a 22 year old this early. Chances are he won't make it, maybe ever, but I'm not one to sit here and make definitive statements on the kid's future.
I dont think anyone is totally writing off the kid. You are right that it would be silly to do that at his age. However, the time away from the game is going to make it very difficult to suddenly figure it out and get to the majors in 2 years. He has a lot of catching up to do.

Right. I was just responding to the overzealous idea that he would be in the bigs in 2 years.

Nobody is counting him out, considering hes only 22, but it would take a miracle for him to be contributing at the Major League level that soon after all hes been through. He was already developing very slowly, so missing the last 3 seasons to personal matters was a big deal. With Sandoval and Belt blocking the 2 positions he plays (doubtful he ever plays 3rd in the majors though), theres no rush anyways. I think a cup of coffee in Sept. 2015 would be best case scenario.

Seriously? Hard to believe you love the Giants THAT much if you would trade BOTH of their WS titles for one SB trophy. I can only figure that you must be really young and never enjoyed the many SB wins. I wouldn't trade even one of the Giants WS wins for a Niner SB. I went through too many years of suffering with the Giants to ever do that.

I wasnt old enough to enjoy the 49ers 5 SB titles, but I still wouldnt trade the Giants 2 WS titles for a 6th Lombardi. Somehow seeing the Giants win the WS seems so much rarer and more special. The World Series might be the hardest championship to win among the major team sports. Its such a long season, and so many things have to go right on top of being good. Only 4 teams end up making the playoffs, and you have to beat the very best in a series 3 straight times.

I have a feeling were going to see the 49ers win at least 1 more here in the next few years anyways. Were set up to make a legit run at a SB for years to come, whereas its hard to say when the Giants will get that chance again.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Angel Villalona will be the next Mo Vaugh.

HOF'er

IMO

Not sure if posted but

A bullet dodged: At the time Melky Cabrera was suspended, he and SFG were into talks about extension worth something in range of $75m-$85m.

Wow!
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Buster Posey story on the front of

http://espn.go.com/mlb/
Hopefully belt can carry over this spring training into the regular season. Dudes on fire.
Pablo looking good for Venezuela, overall other than romo's blown save the giants are looking good at the WBC
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Pablo looking good for Venezuela, overall other than romo's blown save the giants are looking good at the WBC

And Vogey starting tonight
Share 49ersWebzone