LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 326 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
It's a damn shame Sandoval can't be dedicated enough to get in shape

Well, since he is also playing in the WBC, he should come in *reasonable* shape this season.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by vrabbit:
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
F.C. Barcelona has MILLIONS invested in Lionel Messi but there is no way in hell that THEY determine whether he participates in a World Cup for Argentina.

yes. but as a soccer player you don't have a limited number of minutes, and risk a 1-2 year injury if you exceed it. also the world cup takes place during the soccer season so the players are in game shape.

these guys are out there to win before they are fully worked up and then if they work up too soon it could cause problems in sugust september and october. what happens if one of these aces pitches into the world series, and end up well over 300 innings.

and as they said. there is actually no world competition that is as "important" as the world cup(horrible grammer so what, you want to fight about it?)

As a soccer player you DO have a limited number of minutes, especially the top clubs (where the best players play) when they get to the point in the season where they're playing twice a week. A midfielder running (on average) on a 50-mile radius for 90 minutes does have limitation. The world cup doesn't take place DURING the regular season, it takes place in the offseason, really.

I just find it funny that most people in the US give more value to their club being World Champions than to their country actually beating the rest of the World.

Then these tournaments come around and Japan actually earns the title of World Champions. Winning the WBC would mean nothing to you guys?

Theres no meaning behind the WBC. No history, and the teams arent truly the "best" each country has to offer. Besides, a small tournament doesnt dictate who has the best team. A real baseball season takes 7 months.

The WS Champion is a team of players that went through 6 months of baseball against the best players in the world trying their hardest, and then a 7th month against the best of the best. The WBC is little more than an exhibition.

you bring up the same point as Jason, and how is the WBC supposed to get any meaning? By continue to throw half-ass teams out there? By your reasoning, the soccer Wold Cup doesn't dictate who has the best team either because a soccer season is about 9 months long.

You need to differentiate COUNTRIES competing to see which one is best from FRANCHISES competing to see which one is best. You can't compare the two.

Major League Baseball is a collection of the best baseball players in the world. If you dont play in the Majors, you probably arent that good. The team that wins it all from that league is the "World Champions".

It has nothing to do with countries. Clearly the US and Dominican Republic produce the best baseball players in the world. We already know which countries are the "best". Soccer had the World Cup because almost every country plays the game at a fanatical level, so theres way more competition. The question isnt "which country is the best?", its "Which team of the best baseball players in the world is the best."

the bolded means absolutely nothing when Japan keeps winning these WBC's, and y'all can complain about US rosters if you'd like but I recall DR having some pretty loaded rosters previously. Again, I invite you to separate competition between franchises from competition between nations. "The questions isn't which country is best?" That's a silly statement. You're going to sit there and dismiss the talent from different countries and throw blanket statements such as "Clearly the US and Dominican Republic produce the best baseball players in the world."? Then there's no need to carry on with this conversation if we're gonna be so short-sighted about it.
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:

Well, since he is also playing in the WBC, he should come in *reasonable* shape this season.

he may be in baseball shape, but that's not where Fred was going with his post
Our Giants have been hijacked by soccer talk.

Exactly, dude Is still so round. He's so damn lucky he's young and it won't catch up to him but he won't be young forever. I was hoping with the success he had in the post season last year he would come in looking like he did in 2011. But I'm not surprise bein young that he thinks that since he dominated and won ws MVP he can come in overweight and play at a high level. Just imagine if he was in shape with the talent he has. Bochy already stated he's not happy with his weight, I would figure having millions and being able to hire the best trainers in the world would make it easier than the average person but guess not. By the way I knew him playing in Venezuela was a bad idea only because he would be in heaven eating his countries' dishes. All I'm saying is have some pride, the organization that's paying you millions wants you in shape and sees you as a vital asset

Exactly, dude Is still so round. He's so damn lucky he's young and it won't catch up to him but he won't be young forever. I was hoping with the success he had in the post season last year he would come in looking like he did in 2011. But I'm not surprise bein young that he thinks that since he dominated and won ws MVP he can come in overweight and play at a high level. Just imagine if he was in shape with the talent he has. Bochy already stated he's not happy with his weight, I would figure having millions and being able to hire the best trainers in the world would make it easier than the average person but guess not. By the way I knew him playing in Venezuela was a bad idea only because he would be in heaven eating his countries' dishes. All I'm saying is have some pride, the organization that's paying you millions wants you in shape and sees you as a vital asset

He may be my favorite player, but it is frustrating as hell to know he could be such a dominant player if he got his s**t straight but instead he settles for being who he is, which is still pretty good, but not maximizing your potential is utterly stupid. It does bug me.

He may be my favorite player, but it is frustrating as hell to know he could be such a dominant player if he got his s**t straight but instead he settles for being who he is, which is still pretty good, but not maximizing your potential is utterly stupid. It does bug me.

I won't complain as long as he plays at a high level. It's worked out pretty well for Prince for the last six years. If we're talking longevity, then yeah he needs to buck the f**k up.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

I won't complain as long as he plays at a high level. It's worked out pretty well for Prince for the last six years. If we're talking longevity, then yeah he needs to buck the f**k up.

it doesn't bother you that Pablo could have more speed around the bases? He's already such agile guy, speed around the basis would be a major plus. On top of that, the added weight plays a big factor on his defense, you can't be a Prince Fielder playing 3rd base.

it doesn't bother you that Pablo could have more speed around the bases? He's already such agile guy, speed around the basis would be a major plus. On top of that, the added weight plays a big factor on his defense, you can't be a Prince Fielder playing 3rd base.

Also what happens if he stays big as he ages and belt flops? I don't see posey staying at catcher forever and if Pablo doesn't shape up where do we put him?
F.C. Barcelona has MILLIONS invested in Lionel Messi but there is no way in hell that THEY determine whether he participates in a World Cup for Argentina.

yes. but as a soccer player you don't have a limited number of minutes, and risk a 1-2 year injury if you exceed it. also the world cup takes place during the soccer season so the players are in game shape.

these guys are out there to win before they are fully worked up and then if they work up too soon it could cause problems in sugust september and october. what happens if one of these aces pitches into the world series, and end up well over 300 innings.

and as they said. there is actually no world competition that is as "important" as the world cup(horrible grammer so what, you want to fight about it?)

As a soccer player you DO have a limited number of minutes, especially the top clubs (where the best players play) when they get to the point in the season where they're playing twice a week. A midfielder running (on average) on a 50-mile radius for 90 minutes does have limitation. The world cup doesn't take place DURING the regular season, it takes place in the offseason, really.

I just find it funny that most people in the US give more value to their club being World Champions than to their country actually beating the rest of the World.

Then these tournaments come around and Japan actually earns the title of World Champions. Winning the WBC would mean nothing to you guys?

Theres no meaning behind the WBC. No history, and the teams arent truly the "best" each country has to offer. Besides, a small tournament doesnt dictate who has the best team. A real baseball season takes 7 months.

The WS Champion is a team of players that went through 6 months of baseball against the best players in the world trying their hardest, and then a 7th month against the best of the best. The WBC is little more than an exhibition.

you bring up the same point as Jason, and how is the WBC supposed to get any meaning? By continue to throw half-ass teams out there? By your reasoning, the soccer Wold Cup doesn't dictate who has the best team either because a soccer season is about 9 months long.

You need to differentiate COUNTRIES competing to see which one is best from FRANCHISES competing to see which one is best. You can't compare the two.

Major League Baseball is a collection of the best baseball players in the world. If you dont play in the Majors, you probably arent that good. The team that wins it all from that league is the "World Champions".

It has nothing to do with countries. Clearly the US and Dominican Republic produce the best baseball players in the world. We already know which countries are the "best". Soccer had the World Cup because almost every country plays the game at a fanatical level, so theres way more competition. The question isnt "which country is the best?", its "Which team of the best baseball players in the world is the best."

the bolded means absolutely nothing when Japan keeps winning these WBC's, and y'all can complain about US rosters if you'd like but I recall DR having some pretty loaded rosters previously. Again, I invite you to separate competition between franchises from competition between nations. "The questions isn't which country is best?" That's a silly statement. You're going to sit there and dismiss the talent from different countries and throw blanket statements such as "Clearly the US and Dominican Republic produce the best baseball players in the world."? Then there's no need to carry on with this conversation if we're gonna be so short-sighted about it.

How many all-star caliber Japanese players are in the big leagues right now? Less than 5. Winning the WBC doesnt mean you produce the best players. Japan does well for the same reason Japanese pitchers start their big league careers well. They have unorthodox deliveries that throw off hitters' timing if you havent faced them much before.

How many all-star caliber Japanese players are in the big leagues right now? Less than 5. Winning the WBC doesnt mean you produce the best players. Japan does well for the same reason Japanese pitchers start their big league careers well. They have unorthodox deliveries that throw off hitters' timing if you havent faced them much before.

Again, I invite you to separate competition between franchises from competition between nations.

No, I'd rather he hit more homeruns than be able to go first to third on a deep single. Speed hasn't ever been my concern with him. Also, when he was his fattest in 2010 he was still an above-average defender according to UZR.
There is a damn WBC thread
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
There is a damn WBC thread

Ban them all Rubber. Then you and I can talk Giants baseball. LOL

Again, I invite you to separate competition between franchises from competition between nations.

Why? Why do things have to be about country vs. country? Its called the "World Series" because the best players in the world make up the population of the league.
Share 49ersWebzone