LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

I just find it funny that most people in the US give more value to their club being World Champions than to their country actually beating the rest of the World.

Then these tournaments come around and Japan actually earns the title of World Champions. Winning the WBC would mean nothing to you guys?
Originally posted by vrabbit:
I just find it funny that most people in the US give more value to their club being World Champions than to their country actually beating the rest of the World.

Then these tournaments come around and Japan actually earns the title of World Champions. Winning the WBC would mean nothing to you guys?

No because it doesn't seem like they ever really care to be honest. If it was really a dream team of baseball, then I'd put more weight toward it. The team does actually look competitive with the roster this year so it'll be interesting to see what happens.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

No because it doesn't seem like they ever really care to be honest. If it was really a dream team of baseball, then I'd put more weight toward it. The team does actually look competitive with the roster this year so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

the players don't care? It would seem to me that they do. Just out of curiosity, post me what you think would be your dream team.

Personally I dislike the power MLB franchises have over whether players can participate in the WBC. Felix and Johan not pitching for Venezuela is a damn shame.
the players don't care? It would seem to me that they do. Just out of curiosity, post me what you think would be your dream team.

Personally I dislike the power MLB franchises have over whether players can participate in the WBC. Felix and Johan not pitching for Venezuela is a damn shame.

When a club has that much money invested in them and it is guarantees you are damn right they deserve that much say. Then the players are not ready and loose, it is the making of a catastrophic season.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:

When a club has that much money invested in them and it is guarantees you are damn right they deserve that much say. Then the players are not ready and loose, it is the making of a catastrophic season.

F.C. Barcelona has MILLIONS invested in Lionel Messi but there is no way in hell that THEY determine whether he participates in a World Cup for Argentina.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame

this.

the WBC doesn't have the legitimacy of something like soccer's Wold Cup yet.
Originally posted by boast:

this.

the WBC doesn't have the legitimacy of something like soccer's World Cup yet.

That's quite an understatement my friend.

Off the top of my head, american players...

OF-Trout
OF- McCutchen
1B- Fielder
OF - Matt Kemp
3B- Freese
C- Posey
SS-Tulowitski
2B- Kinsler

P- Cain, Strasburg, Halladay, Verlander (no particular order)

Im sure I am missing some obvious choices...but even the team I just posted would absolutely dominate.
Originally posted by notsoempty86:

Off the top of my head, american players...

OF-Trout
OF- McCutchen
1B- Fielder
OF - Matt Kemp
3B- Freese
C- Posey
SS-Tulowitski
2B- Kinsler

P- Cain, Strasburg, Halladay, Verlander (no particular order)

Im sure I am missing some obvious choices...but even the team I just posted would absolutely dominate.

I would do it a little differently:

SS - Ian Desmond - (kid can do everything)
2nd - Dustin Pedroia - (one of the best #2 hitters in the game)
CF - Mike Trout - (nuff said)
1st - Prince Fielder - (my clean up guy)
RF - Matt Kemp - (again, nuff said)
LF - Josh Hamilton - (still dangerous with the bat)
3rd - David Wright - (excellent all-around game)
C - Buster Posey - (with this lineup, our best player bats 8th)

Bench: McCutcheon - OF/PH/PR, Mauer - C/PH, Ian Kinsler - 2nd/PH, Chase Headley - 3rd/PH, Jimmy Rollins, SS/PH, Billy Hamilton, SS/OF/PR
SP: Verlander - RH, Kershaw - LH, Cain - RH, David Price - LH, Roy Halliday - RH
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Feb 18, 2013 at 3:02 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Bench: McCutcheon - OF/PH/PR, Mauer - C/PH, Ian Kinsler - 2nd/PH, Chase Headley - 3rd/PH, Jimmy Rollins, SS/PH, Billy Hamilton, SS/OF/PR
SP: Verlander - RH, Kershaw - LH, Cain - RH, David Price - LH, Roy Halliday - RH

A healthy Tulo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

When he's on the field and healthy, there's no better SS in the world.

Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

A healthy Tulo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

When he's on the field and healthy, there's no better SS in the world.

Ghost and I have pretty much the same view but I agree with the Tulo comment, but he'd have to be healthy. I'd also debate putting Braun in over Hamilton.
[ Edited by itlynstalyn on Feb 18, 2013 at 6:24 PM ]
Do not care about the WBC at all. If they ever had all the best players going maybe. I would just get rid of the thing.
Well.. I will put my all American team out there. You cant get better than this.

1 Mike Trout CF
2) Dustin Pedroia 2b
3) Matt Kemp RF
4) Prince Fielder 1b
5) Mike Stanton LF
6) Evan Longoria 3B
7) Troy Tulowiski SS
8) Buster Posey C

5 starters:
1) Justin Verlander
2) Clayton Kershaw
3) Stephen Strasburg
4) David Price
5) Matt Cain

Closer
Craig Kimbrell

Bench
OF Josh Hamilton Andrew McCutchen
3B David Wright
SS Ian Desmond
2B Ian Kinsler
1B Joey Votto
C Joe Mauer Matt Wieters
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Well.. I will put my all American team out there. You cant get better than this.

1 Mike Trout CF
2) Dustin Pedroia 2b
3) Matt Kemp RF
4) Prince Fielder 1b
5) Mike Stanton LF
6) Evan Longoria 3B
7) Troy Tulowiski SS
8) Buster Posey C

5 starters:
1) Justin Verlander
2) Clayton Kershaw
3) Stephen Strasburg