LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 226 users in the forums

2013 San Francisco Giants Thread

Originally posted by pdizo916:
THIS THREAD IS DEAD.

What would you like to discuss? Baseball is non existent to me until after Sunday.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RogerCraig:
We definitely need a power hitting stud muffin. Don't see anything in the minors , so either by FA or trade. A left fielder who can frighten opposing pitchers Gregor Blanco oder Andrés Torres just doesn't do it.

A solution would be:

1B Pablo
3B Arias
LF Belt

Late innings you move Belt to first and sub Pablo with Blanco/Torres.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
THIS THREAD IS DEAD.

What would you like to discuss? Baseball is non existent to me until after Sunday.

THIS!
Originally posted by DaManRathman:
THIS THREAD IS DEAD.

THIS!

Agreed.

This is the first time I've even clicked on this thread in like 3 weeks.
Originally posted by Garcia:
We definitely need a power hitting stud muffin. Don't see anything in the minors , so either by FA or trade. A left fielder who can frighten opposing pitchers Gregor Blanco oder Andrés Torres just doesn't do it.

A solution would be:

1B Pablo
3B Arias
LF Belt

Belt is a GG caliber first baseman, I just don't see the point in it. Arias isn't that big of an upgrade over Torres/Blanco in LF. If Kiesch gets healthy he may fight for a spot on the team, but I think he'd be the only position player to do so.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Belt is a GG caliber first baseman, I just don't see the point in it. Arias isn't that big of an upgrade over Torres/Blanco in LF. If Kiesch gets healthy he may fight for a spot on the team, but I think he'd be the only position player to do so.

Roger Kieschnick RF. Bats like crazy in minors. Can't keep it up with the big guys. Needs a long hard look? How about Pegs - Francisco? We need some heavy hitters tan pronto como sea posible.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Roger Kieschnick RF. Bats like crazy in minors. Can't keep it up with the big guys. Needs a long hard look? How about Pegs - Francisco? We need some heavy hitters tan pronto como sea posible.

I hope Peguero takes the starting spot..... got a gut feeling about him.
We definitely need a power hitting stud muffin. Don't see anything in the minors , so either by FA or trade. A left fielder who can frighten opposing pitchers Gregor Blanco oder Andr�s Torres just doesn't do it.

A solution would be:

1B Pablo
3B Arias
LF Belt

This idea needs to be put to rest. Brandon Belt is an awful OF. Hes a GG caliber 1B. He wants to play 1B, and we brought him up to play 1B. Pablo tried playing 1B last year and pulled his hammy stretching for a ball. Arias isnt an everyday type player.

To shuffle two guys who play above average defense at their current and natural positions, to positions theyd be defensive liabilities, just to upgrade Blanco to Arias in the lineup? Is that even an upgrade? Terrible idea, will never happen.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by DaManRathman:
THIS THREAD IS DEAD.

THIS!

Agreed.

This is the first time I've even clicked on this thread in like 3 weeks.

I try to stop in a read it every day on the chance someone is posting real news, only to find someone is proposing we trade Eli Whiteside for Ryan Braun or something stupid like that. (and yes I know Eli isnt there)
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
This idea needs to be put to rest. Brandon Belt is an awful OF. Hes a GG caliber 1B. He wants to play 1B, and we brought him up to play 1B. Pablo tried playing 1B last year and pulled his hammy stretching for a ball. Arias isnt an everyday type player.

To shuffle two guys who play above average defense at their current and natural positions, to positions theyd be defensive liabilities, just to upgrade Blanco to Arias in the lineup? Is that even an upgrade? Terrible idea, will never happen.

Im not an advocate of that idea, FYI. MrRogerCraig said we need an left fielder with some pop. All I said was what we could do with the current players we have.
Is Arias an upgrade? You could argue yes if you look at our winning record last year with Arias in the lineup. Just saying. Stupid as it was.

That being said.
I hope Peguero comes out and has a strong spring - I'd like to see him grab the starting spot.

Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

Not sure how you say that Kieschnick cant keep up with the big guys when he has never played in the majors. His biggest problem has been health as he has had back problems the past 2 years. If not for the injuries I would say he is a better prospect than Peguero. I wasnt impressed all that much with Peguero other than his speed.

Sabean could have gone after Michael Morse, Hairston, or Gomes but he must like Torres/Blanco for some unknown reason.
Originally posted by Niners99:
We definitely need a power hitting stud muffin. Don't see anything in the minors , so either by FA or trade. A left fielder who can frighten opposing pitchers Gregor Blanco oder Andr�s Torres just doesn't do it.

A solution would be:

1B Pablo
3B Arias
LF Belt

Yep. Belt is our first baseman. He might play a few games in LF when Posey goes to first but that is it.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Not sure how you say that Kieschnick cant keep up with the big guys when he has never played in the majors. His biggest problem has been health as he has had back problems the past 2 years. If not for the injuries I would say he is a better prospect than Peguero. I wasnt impressed all that much with Peguero other than his speed.

Sabean could have gone after Michael Morse, Hairston, or Gomes but he must like Torres/Blanco for some unknown reason.

Would you rather trade some top prospects for morse.... have s**tty outfielders in Gomes and Hairston... who are average in every category
or two players who are excellent at defense, speed/baserunning and ok at everything else?

I'll take the plus defense/speed over average players in Hairston/Gomes.

Would you rather trade some top prospects for morse.... have s**tty outfielders in Gomes and Hairston... who are average in every category
or two players who are excellent at defense, speed/baserunning and ok at everything else?

I'll take the plus defense/speed over average players in Hairston/Gomes.

The Giants need to have some punch in their lineup. So, yes. I would have preferred Gomes or Hairston in a platoon with Blanco rather than Torres. As for Morse, I dont think Seattle had to give up that much for him. John Jaso and a prospect? He would have really made our lineup a strong one.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
The Giants need to have some punch in their lineup. So, yes. I would have preferred Gomes or Hairston in a platoon with Blanco rather than Torres. As for Morse, I dont think Seattle had to give up that much for him. John Jaso and a prospect? He would have really made our lineup a strong one.

But this team is not based on power hitting.

I do agree with you.
But you look at how this team was built... speed, defense, and timely hitting.... it fits what Sabean is trying to do.

It really sucks what happened with Melky. I wish he was still with us. Damn shame. I think we will miss him.

I have brought this up before... I think you have to factor in expected growth of young players, Belt and Crawford... hopefully you get some more power from Belt.
Also the addition of Hunter Pence - he is a 20+ HR guy. Thats going to be a big boost I think most people over look. You have power from RF, 1B, C, and 3B and speed in LF/CF, solid defense and decent hitter at short, sound player at 2nd.....

Thats a pretty complete offense and defense IMO.
Hopefully with guys like Peguero, GBrown - they can come up and contribute and add some depth.
Share 49ersWebzone