There are 221 users in the forums

Tiger Woods Thread

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Rascal:
@ Ninerjohn, just thought you might enjoy this clip. Bottomline, I don't know what the answer is for Tiger, but I do agree with one of the tweets, ever since he fired Butch Harmon he just hasn't been the same. He needs to go back to Butch in my opinion. But, to the subject of the clip, I really have serious doubt that he can do it especially not with his current mental game. Although Stephen A is not a golf expert, but in my opinion he is spot on.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9498680

I agree with what they say. I have posted in here that I dont think Tiger will break Jack's record. However, that does not mean that he is simply an OK or simply good player like you described him. Tiger Woods is still a great golfer, #1 in the world, and capable of winning any tournament he enters. Think about it.. Phil is considered by most to be one of the top 10 golfers of all time yet he has just 5 Majors. Tiger would need to win 5 MORE at an age when most golfers are lucky to win 1.

Tiger has as much physical ability right now that anyone, can still hit the ball a country mile, is as good of an iron player as there is, and has the drive. What he also has, however, is the pressure he puts on himself in the majors and that is holding him back. There is no game in the world where the mind and the pressure can affect your game like golf. He somehow needs to get the fun back in playing golf and not focus on the chase to Jacks record.

Double post.
[ Edited by Rascal on Jul 23, 2013 at 9:49 AM ]
@ Ninerjohn, just thought you might enjoy this clip. Bottomline, I don't know what the answer is for Tiger, but I do agree with one of the tweets, ever since he fired Butch Harmon he just hasn't been the same. He needs to go back to Butch in my opinion. But, to the subject of the clip, I really have serious doubt that he can do it especially not with his current mental game. Although Stephen A is not a golf expert, but in my opinion he is spot on.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9498680

I agree with what they say. I have posted in here that I dont think Tiger will break Jack's record. However, that does not mean that he is simply an OK or simply good player like you described him. Tiger Woods is still a great golfer, #1 in the world, and capable of winning any tournament he enters. Think about it.. Phil is considered by most to be one of the top 10 golfers of all time yet he has just 5 Majors. Tiger would need to win 5 MORE at an age when most golfers are lucky to win 1.

Tiger has as much physical ability right now that anyone, can still hit the ball a country mile, is as good of an iron player as there is, and has the drive. What he also has, however, is the pressure he puts on himself in the majors and that is holding him back. There is no game in the world where the mind and the pressure can affect your game like golf. He somehow needs to get the fun back in playing golf and not focus on the chase to Jacks record.

I think what Stephen A said was, to be considered a "great" player you got to win the majors which was what I said before. Right now, his game is just not together. That 3 wood shot into the bunker on the 17th was just plain bad. Frankly, if he didn't slip so much, there was a very good chance he could have beaten Jack's record as he was more than young enough to get it done. Even now, he is still not all that old, if he was at the top of his game it would still be possible, but the problem is he just isn't at that level. 5 years now, I repeat 5 years he hasn't won a major and Phil has won 2 in that period. Pressure he put on himself is one thing, but I think is more than that. So, like I said, he is still a good player. He can hit the ball a fair distance, but the problem is a tonne of people can too these days, not just longer but more accurate than Tiger. Needless to say, being scared to touch the driver doesn't help. His iron game is no longer a huge deal, is just not accurate enough. This is key as shown in the British Open. He just couldn't get the ball near enough to the flag, thus putting additional pressure on his putting. Is really hard to get birdies when you play like that.

First of all you dont have to be a great player to win a major. Todd Hamilton, Paul Lawrie, Stewart Cink, and Ben Curtis are 4 that come to mind that won the British Open. Certainly never considered great. You do have to play very well over 4 days and have things go your way.

Again,. the fact that you will only label the #1 player in the world as just good is simply ridiculous to me. Maybe your definition of great is that he has to be completely dominant and win 1-2 majors a year. Golf isnt like tennis. There are way too many very good players and way too many obstacles to keep someone from achieving that level. Tiger was perhaps the greatest (or 2nd) of all time during his best years. Now, he is a great golfer that has come back to the pack but still the #1 player in the world. If he isnt great I dont know who is.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
First of all you dont have to be a great player to win a major. Todd Hamilton, Paul Lawrie, Stewart Cink, and Ben Curtis are 4 that come to mind that won the British Open. Certainly never considered great. You do have to play very well over 4 days and have things go your way.

Again,. the fact that you will only label the #1 player in the world as just good is simply ridiculous to me. Maybe your definition of great is that he has to be completely dominant and win 1-2 majors a year. Golf isnt like tennis. There are way too many very good players and way too many obstacles to keep someone from achieving that level. Tiger was perhaps the greatest (or 2nd) of all time during his best years. Now, he is a great golfer that has come back to the pack but still the #1 player in the world. If he isnt great I dont know who is.

While I agree you don't have to be a "great" player to win a major, but to be considered a "great" player you have to be able to win majors on a relatively consistent basis. The difference between the two is you are not a "one hit wonder". All those players you named are all just one time major winners.

I am not talking about 2 majors a year, let's not go that far. May be one major a year or let's say two or even three years tops. You said it yourself, there are just too many good players out there together with many young guns coming up the ranks. in other words if you can't win the majors you are essentially falling back to be amongst the pack. Tiger has slipped a lot ever since his performance started dropping off. Jack's last major was 1986 Masters and he was 46. Tiger's last major was 2008 US Open and he was only 32 at that point. Even if you factor in a slight drop-off, given his physical shape, supposedly he could have made a good go at it. But, sorry to say it just didn't materialise.

I am with Stephen A, I will wait until he wins his 15th major first before I analyse his game again. As it stands right now, his game ain't the worst, but it ain't great neither.
Tiger on fire right now. Nine under through 13, on his round. Not overall score.
[ Edited by SportsFan on Aug 2, 2013 at 12:57 PM ]
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Tiger on fire right now. Nine under through 13, on his round. Not overall score.

His putting has been out of this world so far today
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

But Rascal doesnt think he is great anymore.
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

But Rascal doesnt think he is great anymore.

No he's obviously just a "decent" golfer
Kyle Williams: Tiger is ballin.

no wonder Tiger didn't shoot 59
  • Jiks
Needs to go back to Butch Harmon
[ Edited by sincalfaithful on Aug 2, 2013 at 6:58 PM ]

• Jiks
I have a feeling dudes gonna flop. I hope not, but just a feeling.
  • Jiks
^^^^Well one hole one birdie.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

yeah f**king right

He only flops in majors.
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:

He only flops in majors.

this..haven't you read the past couple pages? Tiger is just an average golfer
Share 49ersWebzone