LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

Your Golden State Warriors. - Some Hope for the Future!

Come at me, bro

• ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Come at me, bro

lmao

thats actually a pretty cool picture

Am I the only one that doesn't care about the season starting as much as I did before cause football is here?
Originally posted by dcsham:
Originally posted by crzy:
Two factors are needed to build a winning squad: competence and luck. And we could go back and forth arguing over which of these two factors plays a larger role in a teams' success.

But my point is, once you actually acquire that elusive impact franchise player......it's almost impossible to retain him. That guy wants to either play in a sexy market or play with his friends on a superteam.

There's a palpable lack of parity.

And maybe that's just the nature of the sport. Maybe it's impossible to have competitive balance in a league where a single transcendent player can turn you from the worst team in the league to the best team in the league.

But then, what's the point if you're a fan of a mid-market team.

Is the ultimate goal, for me as a fan of the Warriors, to hope that one day this organization will have competent enough management and enough luck to somehow land a transcendent player............and then have a window of only four years to find other elusive pieces to complement this player....and then pray that the guy doesn't leave anyway for Los Angeles or to pair up with some other superstar player in some sexy market.

I know that the NBA will never be the NFL.

But the NBA as it's currently constituted is flawed. And they have no intention to do anything about it. The NBA prefers a league without parity because superteams are easier to sell to the casual fans or the bandwagon fans.

The distribution of talent in this league is too thin for there to be 30 teams.

Easy solution for the league if they want parity...hard salary cap. The penalty/luxury cap BS doesn't mean shat.

Partial solution for the Warriors....you are right...better management, better evaluation of talent. Get the f**k out of Oakland, build the arena on the waterfront in SF, change your name back to the San Francisco Warriors (like it was originally when they came to the bay) to bring back "The City" identity. This will make the market more "sexy" as you say, and players will actually consider this as a destination to play in.

That, AND do away with the stupid lottery nonsense. The reason the NFL has such parity is it is easy to climb out of the cellar because of the way the league is set up. You suck one year, you are rewarded with a high draft pick and a last place schedule. In the NBA (although unlikely), the worst team in the league one year could end up with the 4th pick, and the hardest schedule in the league.

I love the NBA, but there is a reason it is a distant third as far as my favorite sports.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
bring these jerseys back when we move to SF!

[ Edited by ImaMod on Aug 24, 2012 at 12:26 PM ]
Come at me, bro

Damn, doot had turrible acne back in HS

Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Come at me, bro

Damn, doot had turrible acne back in HS

Ah damn...is he wearing Adonal's #??
im in stockton so the gay ass kings are on tv mostly but hopefully by the time the queens move we can have a good product to watch. only good thing about basketball season is that its at the same time as hockey for the most part so theres something good to watch while i read about my warriors losing by a point or two every night lol. this year looks promising because they actually look like they have a great team on paper but we'll see. im always cautiously optimistic with these guys
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
That, AND do away with the stupid lottery nonsense. The reason the NFL has such parity is it is easy to climb out of the cellar because of the way the league is set up. You suck one year, you are rewarded with a high draft pick and a last place schedule. In the NBA (although unlikely), the worst team in the league one year could end up with the 4th pick, and the hardest schedule in the league.

I love the NBA, but there is a reason it is a distant third as far as my favorite sports.
Yeah, the NBA Lottery is an absolute joke that gives the appearance of being a sham used to benefit the team(s) THE LEAGUE has decided to assist. Until there is some transparency on who "wins" the Lottery, it will always be that way. Ever since the first one with Ewing where there was clearly one card stuck to the wall of the transparent drum that turned out to be, "SURPRISE!", the Knicks! SMH.
They had to move it behind closed doors as a result.
In a fair league, it would be up to competence and luck. IN the NBA, there seems to be a larger factor at play.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by socal9er42:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:

Yeah, the NBA Lottery is an absolute joke that gives the appearance of being a sham used to benefit the team(s) THE LEAGUE has decided to assist. Until there is some transparency on who "wins" the Lottery, it will always be that way. Ever since the first one with Ewing where there was clearly one card stuck to the wall of the transparent drum that turned out to be, "SURPRISE!", the Knicks! SMH.
They had to move it behind closed doors as a result.
In a fair league, it would be up to competence and luck. IN the NBA, there seems to be a larger factor at play.

Its simple..the worst team should have the highest pick. Bobcats were one of the worst teams ever, and they don't get the no. 1 pick. Its stupid.

Imagine if the there was a lottery in the NFL and the Rams won the 1st pick, the Vikings won the 2nd pick, and the Colts won the 3rd. Lol thank God we don't have a lottery in the NFL
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Yeah but tanking is already going on for just the opportunity to maybe, possibly get the #1 pick

If there was no lottery, tanking would be completely blatant.

I don't have any problem with the lottery.

The Warriors failures aren't due to bad luck in the lottery. The Warriors always manage to finish with too many regular season victories to get a sufficiently high pick and draft an impact player. Even if you eliminated the lottery, the Warriors would still get between the 6th and 14th picks every year in the past decade.

I also think people who claim the lottery is rigged are being silly.

The NBA is structurally flawed. It favors four or five teams in big market cities who manage to attract a proportionally unfair amount of talent.

But the NBA is not rigged. The lottery is not rigged.

Ya, part of the reason that the lottery was instituted in the first place was because the tanking was REALLY bad before they put it in place.
Originally posted by crzy:
Yeah but tanking is already going on for just the opportunity to maybe, possibly get the #1 pick

If there was no lottery, tanking would be completely blatant.

I don't have any problem with the lottery.

The Warriors failures aren't due to bad luck in the lottery. The Warriors always manage to finish with too many regular season victories to get a sufficiently high pick and draft an impact player. Even if you eliminated the lottery, the Warriors would still get between the 6th and 14th picks every year in the past decade.

I also think people who claim the lottery is rigged are being silly.

The NBA is structurally flawed. It favors four or five teams in big market cities who manage to attract a proportionally unfair amount of talent.

But the NBA is not rigged. The lottery is not rigged.

I agree completely. Although, I am not some guy who believes in ridiculous conspiracy theories. In this case, if anything ever came out that this had gone on it could be the death of the league. Somehow, I doubt Stern would take that risk.

As for your second point, I do think the NBA loves the fact that Miami, LA, Boston, NY are the teams that can attract the big names. Hell. they would hate to see a Portland-Indy matchup in the finals because the ratings would tank. The NBA has to put a hard cap in place and other measures to stop 2 or 3 star players from dictating where they can go together and form a super team.
Why not limit the lottery to half as many squads, then? If (realistically) 7 through 11 are really playing until the last few games of the season, sniffing the post-season, (attempting to win that 8th seed), why not eliminate half of the teams currently eligible for the lottery?
[ Edited by IWASATTHECATCH on Aug 27, 2012 at 6:00 PM ]
whats point of having lottery when all the good superstars eventually go to big market teams?
It would be soooooooooooooooooooo easy to prove it's not rigged - film the entire process, then show the film to a pool of reporters (say 10-15). I'm sure it's too "boring" for most TV viewers, but it would be easy enough to explain the process to a small group, that duplicates of already drawn #'s are ignored, etc.

Sorry, the first one gave every appearance of being rigged. They than moved it behind closed doors, fail to do anything to alleviate concerns, and weird things happen too frequently.

I do agree that something is needed to stop the teams from "tanking", but there are far better ways than what the NBA has chosen.
Share 49ersWebzone