LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 142 users in the forums

2011-12 Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Originally posted by LA9erFan:
You guys who are saying this is impossible are missing the point. Can someone like the Hornets get something better than Gasol in return for CP3? Of course. Can they get something better than Gasol in return for CP3 from a team that CP3 wants to go to? That's a different ball game. Hoov...he's not going to end up in Boston because he's already said that he won't sign an extension there. Why trade Rondo to rent CP3 for a year and then lose him.

Reports are that he wants to go to the Knicks, Lakers, or Magic (to team up with Howard). Can you think of a better offer than Gasol for CP3 from those teams, assuming that Howard's not involved? Maybe Amare, although playing with Melo & Amare is reportedly why CP3 wants to go there in the first place.

4ML makes the best point regarding why CP3 won't be traded to the Lakers...at least not yet. It's the ownership deal. The Lakers are gonna go into the season with a relatively similar roster to last year.

We're also about to sign Jason Kapono. (whoopty-doo)

I get what you are saying, but now that there are teams like BOS, HOU, DAL willing to trade for him without an extension, then this becomes a moot point. Paul is not going to be able to dictate where he is traded to now that the one big hurdle has been removed. A deal with BOS centered around Rondo is better value than a deal with LAL and a 31 year old Pau. Now in regards to Howard, I don't know where he would agree to resign. I do know that there are far better deals out there to be had. For instance, I think Lopez and 2 1sts is a much better deal, and I think there is a good chance he would resign with NJ due to the Williams factor. LAC are another team that could meet his LA desires, compensate ORL with good young talent along with cap relief and still have the $ to sign Paul outright in the offseason. Maybe if this was a couple years ago I would concede that a deal centered around Bynum for Howard would be a good starting point. But the fact is that Bynum has proven to have fragile knees at a young age, and is just downright overrated in, IMO. The luster has worn off. I think there is a much higher chance that Howard would sign an extension with other teams, thus making it much easier for ORL to make a better deal with other teams not named the Lakers.
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Dec 6, 2011 at 9:37 AM ]
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
I get what you are saying, but now that there are teams like BOS, HOU, DAL willing to trade for him without an extension, then this becomes a moot point. Paul is not going to be able to dictate where he is traded to, because the one big hurdle has now been removed. A deal with BOS centered around Rondo is better value than a deal with LAL and a 31 year old Pau. Now in regards to Howard, I don't know where he would agree to resign. I do know that there are far better deals out there to be had. For instance, I think Lopez and 2 1sts is a much better deal, and I think there is a good chance he would resign with NJ due to the Williams factor. LAC are another team that could meet his LA desires, compensate ORL with good young talent along with cap relief and still have the $ to sign Paul outright in the offseason. Maybe if this was a couple years ago I would concede that a deal centered around Bynum for Howard would be a good starting point. But the fact is that Bynum has proven to have fragile knees at a young age, and is just downright overrated in, IMO. The luster has worn off. I think there is a much higher chance that Howard would sign an extension with other teams, thus making it much easier for ORL to make a better deal with other teams not named the Lakers.

Regarding CP3...where have you heard that the Celtics are willing to trade Rondo to for a one year rental on CP3? They'd be insane to do that. Regarding HOU and DAL, what would they offer that would be better than Gasol considering he'd just be a one year rental there as well? I just don't see a team being willing to give up something that's more valuable than Gasol for the right to have CP3 for one year.

On the topic of D12, again it's completely tied to where he wants to go. Is Lopez + 2 1st Rounders better than Bynum & Odom? I think both Bynum & Odom are considerably better players than Lopez (coming off of one of the worst rebounding/defensive seasons for a starter in NBA history) and those picks are likely to be mid-1st round picks...but if Howard doesn't want to go there, it doesn't matter.

The real wild card in this scenario are the Clippers. They have a ton of cap space, a ton of young talent, AND an incredible trading chip, because they have Minnesota's 1st Round pick this year and it isn't lottery protected. They can blow anyone else's offer out of the water for either CP3 or D12. But again...do they want to play for the Clippers? That's just about all that matters in this situation.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
One of the most fascinating things I'm looking forward to is the relationship between Kobe and Mike Brown. I believe Brown is a really good coach. He will fix the Lakers defensive issues. People will say that he was an uninspired hire and that he failed in Cleveland, but that's on the players (LeBron). As far as I'm concerned, all else equal, I think LA is the best team in the Western Conference.
From Jarrod Rudolph, RealGM Columnist. Take it for what it's worth, but the speculation is fun.

Sources have gone dark as talks of a LA Superpower gain steam. Says to me that wheels are turning and something is going to happen soon.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
From Jarrod Rudolph, RealGM Columnist. Take it for what it's worth, but the speculation is fun.

Sources have gone dark as talks of a LA Superpower gain steam. Says to me that wheels are turning and something is going to happen soon.

I hate the NBA!!
Regarding CP3...where have you heard that the Celtics are willing to trade Rondo to for a one year rental on CP3? They'd be insane to do that. Regarding HOU and DAL, what would they offer that would be better than Gasol considering he'd just be a one year rental there as well? I just don't see a team being willing to give up something that's more valuable than Gasol for the right to have CP3 for one year.

On the topic of D12, again it's completely tied to where he wants to go. Is Lopez + 2 1st Rounders better than Bynum & Odom? I think both Bynum & Odom are considerably better players than Lopez (coming off of one of the worst rebounding/defensive seasons for a starter in NBA history) and those picks are likely to be mid-1st round picks...but if Howard doesn't want to go there, it doesn't matter.

The real wild card in this scenario are the Clippers. They have a ton of cap space, a ton of young talent, AND an incredible trading chip, because they have Minnesota's 1st Round pick this year and it isn't lottery protected. They can blow anyone else's offer out of the water for either CP3 or D12. But again...do they want to play for the Clippers? That's just about all that matters in this situation.

It was from Broussard and Stein http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/217024/Celtics_Rockets_Mavericks_Prepared_To_Trade_For_Paul_Without_Assurance
I wouldn't say it is completely insane. BOS realizes they are aging and the window is almost closed. They have proven before that they are willing to gamble in order to win now. You put Paul on that squad and I believe they have as good a shot as any to win it all this year (minus the Kings of course ). Paul is at a different level than Rondo. Rondo's not bad, he's just not Paul. As far as HOU and DAL, not sure exactly what they could give up of comparable value. That is why I believe BOS is team that could get it done. If they are willing to offer Rondo and not expect an extension, then that makes them the frontrunner, IMO.

While I am not a huge fan of Lopez, I would rather have him and 2 1st rounder's in an insanely deep draft than Bynum and his glass knees. I really think that Howard would sign an extension just as long as Williams did, which is a good possibility.

I agree with you on the LAC. I just read they offered Jordan 5yr 40mil btw.
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Dec 6, 2011 at 10:38 AM ]
It was from Broussard and Stein http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/217024/Celtics_Rockets_Mavericks_Prepared_To_Trade_For_Paul_Without_Assurance
I wouldn't say it is completely insane. BOS realizes they are aging and the window is almost closed. They have proven before that they are willing to gamble in order to win now. You put Paul on that squad and I believe they have as good a shot as any to win it all this year (minus the Kings of course ). Paul is at a different level than Rondo. Rondo's not bad, he's just not Paul. As far as HOU and DAL, not sure exactly what they could give up of comparable value. That is why I believe BOS is team that could get it done. If they are willing to offer Rondo and not expect an extension, then that makes them the frontrunner, IMO.

While I am not a huge fan of Lopez, I would rather have him and 2 1st rounder's in an insanely deep draft than Bynum and his glass knees. I really think that Howard would sign an extension just as long as Williams did, which is a good possibility.

I agree with you on the LAC. I just read they offered Jordan 5yr 40mil btw.

If they're willing to do that, they'd be the frontrunner for sure. I think their championship window is closed with or without Paul, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they believe that. I think Paul's a better player, but I don't think it's a huge difference, and certainly not enough to justify having him for only one year. But again, they may feel differently.

Regarding Howard, from the people that I've talked to about this, they're adamant that the Lakers are far & away Howard's #1 choice. I don't know his feelings on New Jersey and Williams, but I know that he really, really wants to be a Laker.

I'm not saying that both, or even one are going to happen. (although I really think Howard ends up here) I'm just saying that the possibility of both CP3 & D12 being Lakers isn't nearly as unlikely as you guys were making it out to be.
If they're willing to do that, they'd be the frontrunner for sure. I think their championship window is closed with or without Paul, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they believe that. I think Paul's a better player, but I don't think it's a huge difference, and certainly not enough to justify having him for only one year. But again, they may feel differently.

Regarding Howard, from the people that I've talked to about this, they're adamant that the Lakers are far & away Howard's #1 choice. I don't know his feelings on New Jersey and Williams, but I know that he really, really wants to be a Laker.

I'm not saying that both, or even one are going to happen. (although I really think Howard ends up here) I'm just saying that the possibility of both CP3 & D12 being Lakers isn't nearly as unlikely as you guys were making it out to be.

Well of course not. They are the Lakers and get whatever they want . I'm just pointing out how ludicrous it is that this is even a possibility.
As much as I enjoy the idea of trading for Dwight/CP3, and I mean ENJOY (like butterflies in my stomach I'm giggling madly like a little school girl just thinking about it)...this is some horse s**t. The Heat started this desire of superstars teaming up and it's kind of sad. I miss the days of a superstar staying with one team their whole careers trying to will that team to a championship and being loyal to them (I say this as if this superstar teaming up nonsense has been going on for a decade+ now lol). I don't know who to be mad at. Owners, the superstars, the system. Even though it's my team thats benefiting from this, I still feel ashamed that this is what the NBA has come to. And it's not even the Lakers fault, Bron/Wade/Bosh started this and everyone else is just responding to it. It just isn't...fun to watch.

Do people not realize that the MAVERICKS won the championship last season? A team with just one bona fide superstar (who has been with the Mavs since day 1) and a bunch of great players that play well together and fulfill their roles perfectly. That's a real team that deserves it and just, makes me feel good to see them work hard and win. It can be done, you just need competent management and players who fit their roles and execute within the system.

This is especially frustrating because our 49ers are doing it the right way. We've gone through so much suffering and that has made this success we've had this season taste THAT much better. All of our stars (outside of Rogers) have been drafted with us and are part of the 49er culture. They're family. We've grown with these guys and seen all of their short lived successes and failures. Idk. I just wish the NBA wasn't turning into this superstar hoarding league. I hope the Blazers/Sixers win the championship (if not the Lakers of course) or something
[ Edited by GameOver on Dec 6, 2011 at 12:42 PM ]
Originally posted by GameOver:
As much as I enjoy the idea of trading for Dwight/CP3, and I mean ENJOY (like butterflies in my stomach I'm giggling madly like a little school girl just thinking about it)...this is some horse s**t. The Heat started this desire of superstars teaming up and it's kind of sad. I miss the days of a superstar staying with one team their whole careers trying to will that team to a championship and being loyal to them (I say this as if this superstar teaming up nonsense has been going on for a decade+ now lol). I don't know who to be mad at. Owners, the superstars, the system. Even though it's my team thats benefiting from this, I still feel ashamed that this is what the NBA has come to. And it's not even the Lakers fault, Bron/Wade/Bosh started this and everyone else is just responding to it. It just isn't...fun to watch.

Do people not realize that the MAVERICKS won the championship last season? A team with just one bona fide superstar (who has been with the Mavs since day 1) and a bunch of great players that play well together and fulfill their roles perfectly. That's a real team that deserves it and just, makes me feel good to see them work hard and win. It can be done, you just need competent management and players who fit their roles and execute within the system.

This is especially frustrating because our 49ers are doing it the right way. We've gone through so much suffering and that has made this success we've had this season taste THAT much better. All of our stars (outside of Rogers) have been drafted with us and are part of the 49er culture. They're family. We've grown with these guys and seen all of their short lived successes and failures. Idk. I just wish the NBA wasn't turning into this superstar hoarding league. I hope the Blazers/Sixers win the championship (if not the Lakers of course) or something

This only happens because of the ridiculous max salary restriction that's imposed on the league's best players. If LeBron could make the $50M a year that he deserves & Wade was making the $40M that he deserves, they would have never be on the same team together.

Originally posted by GameOver:

This only happens because of the ridiculous max salary restriction that's imposed on the league's best players. If LeBron could make the $50M a year that he deserves & Wade was making the $40M that he deserves, they would have never be on the same team together.

Debatable. It could just be my perception but I think in their case (Wade/Bron) they would have ditched the money to play with each other regardless. It might just be me, but I think we have a new age of superstars where they don't all want to just collect a paycheck. I see D12 in the same model as Wade/Bron and willing to take less to play with buddies. Not all of them are that type, but I think those three in particular are, which I cannot say that ANY superstar from the 90s/early 00s would have done in the prime of their careers.
http://www.nba.com/lakers/schedule/index.html

Let's Go!!!!
Clippers apparently just offered Gordon and Jordan for Paul.
And according to CBS, BOS offer was Rondo, 2 1st round picks and Green in a S&T for a non-extended Paul. 2 pretty good offers.
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Dec 6, 2011 at 4:46 PM ]
And according to CBS, BOS offer was Rondo, 2 1st round picks and Green in a S&T for a non-extended Paul. 2 pretty good offers.

I'd do that trade if I was NO and Paul wasn't about leave. That's a ridiculous trade.

I'd do that trade if I was NO and Paul wasn't about leave. That's a ridiculous trade.

Yeah. Sounds fishy.
Share 49ersWebzone