LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 288 users in the forums

Is there WAY TOO MUCH Penn State football scandal media coverage?

Is there WAY TOO MUCH Penn State football scandal media coverage?

Every channel I turn on all they talk about is Penn State. I flip the channels to try to get away from it but you can't. It's all the media talks about over and over and over. We get it now. All 300 Million people in the U.S. know there was an alleged scandal at Penn State. Now let the legal process take it's course and move forward. I watch ESPN and ESPN2 and all they talk about is Penn State, Penn State, Penn State. Show some football highlights... If you try to watch the news or CNN it's more Penn State, Penn State, Penn State.

Put this stuff on Court TV for those who want to watch it 24 / 7. Leave the rest of us alone. I've seen 1,000 stories on this now. I think that's enough...
Uh, it's kind of a big deal. Leave you alone? Nobody is making you watch.
Originally posted by pantstickle:

It doesn't deserve the # of stories it's gotten. Let the legal system work. If I watch ESPN I want to see sports. Put this crap on Court TV.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

It doesn't deserve the # of stories it's gotten. Let the legal system work. If I watch ESPN I want to see sports. Put this crap on Court TV.

bro are you f**king kidding me? biggest scandal in sports history and it involves young boys getting raped....
Originally posted by Knowledge:

bro are you f**king kidding me? biggest scandal in sports history and it involves young boys getting raped....

I know people personally who were sexually abused. They don't get any coverage. None.

Furthermore we got the point. We heard the story 1 million times. Now let the legal system work. And report back to us when it does. They aren't saying anything new. It's the same stuff over and over.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Nov 12, 2011 at 9:32 PM ]

I know people personally who were sexually abused. They don't get any coverage. None.

Furthermore we got the point. We heard the story 1 million times. Now let the legal system work. And report back to us when it does. They aren't saying anything new. It's the same stuff over and over.

The story has been constantly advancing, although it's definitely slowing now, which is why the coverage has decreased. Know why the people you know don't get coverage? It wasn't done at a major university by a guy with a big job and it wasn't covered up. Lots of people get murdered, too, but if a famous person does it, there's more coverage. Know why? Because they're famous.

And again, you don't HAVE to watch or read the articles and they don't have to cater to you, despite the entitlement.

The story has been constantly advancing, although it's definitely slowing now, which is why the coverage has decreased. Know why the people you know don't get coverage? It wasn't done at a major university by a guy with a big job and it wasn't covered up. Lots of people get murdered, too, but if a famous person does it, there's more coverage. Know why? Because they're famous.

And again, you don't HAVE to watch or read the articles and they don't have to cater to you, despite the entitlement.

If it's on 100 different cable channels 24 / 7 YOU DO HAVE TO WATCH if you watch TV.

What channel do you suggest I turn to to avoid it? I'm open to suggestions.

It's slowed massively. There is nothing new of big consequence. It's the same thing over and over and over. The media is trying to milk it big time for a big story. That's all it's about at this point. They could at least get to some court proceedings where they actually have something to report.
BTW I think a lot of people don't want to say there is too much media coverage because somehow that seems "anti victim." But that is a completely separate and different issue. Every reasonable person supports the alleged victim (s) if what is alleged to have happened actually happened. Separate from that is whether the media coverage has been apporpriate or is milking the story big time for all it's worth.

If it's on 100 different cable channels 24 / 7 YOU DO HAVE TO WATCH if you watch TV.

What channel do you suggest I turn to to avoid it? I'm open to suggestions.

It's slowed massively. There is nothing new of big consequence. It's the same thing over and over and over. The media is trying to milk it big time for a big story. That's all it's about at this point. They could at least get to some court proceedings where they actually have something to report.

Any channel that isn't a 24 hour news channel. Try watching a sitcom, a documentary, or any written show. OR, you can do a million other things that don't involve tv, because you're a human and you're capable of so much more than just watching ESPN and HLN. Yes, you're right, the media is milking a big story. Welcome to every big story that's ever happened.

Wanna know how much coverage I've seen and listened to? Not that much, because I found other things to do besides just sit there and stew angrily.
BTW I think a lot of people don't want to say there is too much media coverage because somehow that seems "anti victim." But that is a completely separate and different issue. Every reasonable person supports the alleged victim (s) if what is alleged to have happened actually happened. Separate from that is whether the media coverage has been apporpriate or is milking the story big time for all it's worth.

This. Don't want to retype.

This. Don't want to retype.

Why would you need to retype.

It's not anti-victim, it just shows a sense of entitlement.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
If you only want to watch 6 channels: MSNBC, ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPN News, CNN, Fox news (and the 24 hour news networks are still more interested in the presidential race then this btw) instead of the 300 others channels that are showing something else, well.... that's on you.
I cant believe you would even start another thread on the Penn St scandal. But, to answer your question....NO it isnt getting TOO much coverage. It is a huge story and people want to know how and why this happened. Just watch the cartoon network. Pretty sure there wont be coverage there.
Originally posted by Jcool:
If you only want to watch 6 channels: MSNBC, ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPN News, CNN, Fox news (and the 24 hour news networks are still more interested in the presidential race then this btw) instead of the 300 others channels that are showing something else, well.... that's on you.

If you want to get your news and sports those are pretty much the primary channels. I think it's been a bit overdone. And there is not much new in the story. Plus there are bigger national and international stories.
i thought u don't watch espn
Share 49ersWebzone