LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 213 users in the forums

2011 St. Louis Cardinals Thread

• Garce
  • Veteran
Giants were fortunate that Beltran and Holliday were hurt, they were both shutdown and really ineffective all series.

Then there's Allen Craig.

I think he is the Card's all around best hitter, IMO.

He had an ATROCIOUS series. Feel bad for the guy.
Originally posted by Garcia:
Giants were fortunate that Beltran and Holliday were hurt, they were both shutdown and really ineffective all series.

Then there's Allen Craig.

I think he is the Card's all around best hitter, IMO.

He had an ATROCIOUS series. Feel bad for the guy.

The Cards offense came into the series hitting just fine, and while they did have some flare ups of injuries, you have to credit our pitching as well. The Cards hitters were kept off balance most of the series, especially the last 3 games.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
The Cards offense came into the series hitting just fine, and while they did have some flare ups of injuries, you have to credit our pitching as well. The Cards hitters were kept off balance most of the series, especially the last 3 games.

20-1

20-1

And the 1 er was allowed by the pitcher who was most dominant.

Going into the playoffs I was worried about the shaky SP, the somewhat depleted bullpen that never really got that needed addition outside Mijares, and the inconsistent offense.

Up until game 5, the SP was still looking really poor, but I think Zito's gem in game 5 got the ball rolling with our well documented knack for the rotation to feed off eachothers performance. Its like now each next guy just keeps the 0's coming to continue the trend.

The bullpen has gone from weakness to strength. Right now Romo, Lopez, Affeldt, even Casilla, etc. are LOCKED IN. I no longer fear handing the ball to the pen. They have been on point.

And up until the last 3 games, the offense was worrisome. Remember games 1 and 2 of the 2010 WS, and how a normally "average" offense in a pitchers park became a confident, run scoring machine? We clicked into that mode the last couple nights, and if it continues into the next series, we could be looking at the same blueprint of how we beat the Rangers. punch them in the mouth right of the gate at home, and they might not recover.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Cardinals are built for the future. LOTS, and I mean LOTS of young, talented and electric arms in that organization.

Fun series, James. The ball was just bouncing the Giants way in the 2nd half of the series.

Yep, just the way it goes. As a Cardinals fan, I know how that is. Thats basically how we won our title last year.
  • jrg
  • Veteran

20-1

This. Just so sad. Offense just became non existent the last 3 games.
good fun series james, happy to have come out on top, I was really nervous, no way I expected us to dominate like that in the last 2 games
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by vrabbit:
good fun series james, happy to have come out on top, I was really nervous, no way I expected us to dominate like that in the last 2 games

Me either. But yeah, definitely a fun series.
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by vrabbit:

Me either. But yeah, definitely a fun series.

Regardless of what happens in the WS, this NLCS will be something we all remember. It was a great series, just not with the ending you wanted if you were a Cards fan.

Ill admit, most of the Cards annoy me, but im a big fan of Mike Matheny. class act, and a good Giant in his day. I almost feel bad for him for being in a red cap for both 2002 and 2012. Almost...
Regardless of what happens in the WS, this NLCS will be something we all remember. It was a great series, just not with the ending you wanted if you were a Cards fan.

Ill admit, most of the Cards annoy me, but im a big fan of Mike Matheny. class act, and a good Giant in his day. I almost feel bad for him for being in a red cap for both 2002 and 2012. Almost...

Cards are a class organization, St. Louis is a great baseball town. Cards will always be competitive, that's just the way it is. St. Louis is a s**tty football town. Lol, the rams have been in two s**tty football towns, LA and St. Louis. They actually started in Cleveland.

But I respect the Cards baseball team. Fans for the most part seem like good folks who know baseball, not like the jerks in Philly or Boston. So I will always be happy when the Cards do well except for against the Giants.

• jrg
  • Veteran
Ummmm we're defending champs til someone wins a title. You can put that back now.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dcsham:

Cards are a class organization, St. Louis is a great baseball town. Cards will always be competitive, that's just the way it is. St. Louis is a s**tty football town. Lol, the rams have been in two s**tty football towns, LA and St. Louis. They actually started in Cleveland.

But I respect the Cards baseball team. Fans for the most part seem like good folks who know baseball, not like the jerks in Philly or Boston. So I will always be happy when the Cards do well except for against the Giants.

Appreciate the comment. St. Louis is crazy regarding baseball. Its kinda hard to explain..just one of those "you have to be here to understand" kinda things. The following of the Cardinals for the size of the city is unbelievable. Always at the upper sections of the attendance and are nowhere near the size of places like NY, LA, SF, etc...The Rams are slowly but surely dying here. The SB years definitely helped, but even then they were still just fighting it out w/ the Blues (NHL). Regardless, you could combine the Rams and Blues fanbase and multiply it a few times and it won't come close to the Cardinals. But yeah, appreciate the comment man. Feel the same for the most part about Giants fans. The Cardinals, Giants, Dodgers (yeah..they are)..are the class of the NL.
Ummmm we're defending champs til someone wins a title. You can put that back now.

You can only defend a tile while your team is in contention. Good call Mods.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erReign:

You can only defend a tile while your team is in contention. Good call Mods.

Wrong. Cardinals are world champions until proven otherwise. Once the Tigers/Giants win you can claim it.

Also, welcome to thread.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
lol.
Share 49ersWebzone