There are 179 users in the forums

Bigger hype before turning pro (in recent years)

Bigger hype before turning pro (in recent years)

Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by TX9R:
I remember Jimmy Clausen being dubbed the LeBron of football when he was in 10th grade. ESPN had a special on him and everything. That didn't work out so well. He's the only other guy I can't think of that was hyped that early.

And Chris Simms too. Also, Ohio states own QB Terrell Pryor. He was hyped big time.

i think ESPN did a special on Kwame Brown too...........................................
Originally posted by crzy:
This isn't even close man.

Lebron was hyped since he was like 14.

Who the f**k knew who Andrew Luck was when he 14. When Luck was 14, even he didn't know he'd be this good.

There is nothing that will ever compare to the Lebron hype.

Tiger Woods was fairly hyped before turning pro. In fact, he's probably a close 2nd to LBJ as far as this question pertains.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
A.Luck can throw on the move though.
I'm not high on the guy, but he's done some crazy ass throws on the run.
VERY accurate.

Still though, my vote goes to Luck.

He can still get injured, be a bust, suck in the NFL etc.

LBJ took the garbage Cavs to the playoffs by himself.

You take out Lebron from the Cavs and what happens?

They don't make the playoffs ..not even close.

read em' and weep;

On the court, the 2010–11 season was a stark contrast from the previous two seasons. The Cavaliers were conference-worst 19–63. This season also saw the Cavs lose 26 games in a row, which set an NBA record and tied the 1976–77 Tampa Bay Buccaneers for the longest losing streak in any American professional team sport

lol @ ron. i didn't get that either

why would your vote go towards luck after all of that?
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
This, except the last sentence. At some point, a 13 year old will be on sports illustrated. Also, similar comparisons do happen in soccer often - Messi is probably the only one lived up to the hype in recent times - he was called the next Marodona at the age of 16. Neymar from Brazil is another player who has been hyped for last 3-4 years (he is 19 right now) as a player who will surpass the Brazilian Ronaldo. He is pretty damn good at 19.

from everything I've read and heard of Neymar, hes always dubbed the next Pele.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I don't know if you can say Luck, but IMO, Peyton Manning coming outta college was more hyped up than him. I remember fans who didn't even watch the draft or College football at the time ask me, so where do you think Peyton Manning will go. ESPN was all over Mannings nuts!!!
not a fair comparison.

You guys are factoring in what James did after he was drafted.

Luck doesn't have that luxury.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I don't know if you can say Luck, but IMO, Peyton Manning coming outta college was more hyped up than him. I remember fans who didn't even watch the draft or College football at the time ask me, so where do you think Peyton Manning will go. ESPN was all over Mannings nuts!!!

Interesting. I never watched football back then so I had no idea Manning had that much hype surrounding him coming out of college.
Luck doesn't self promote like Lebron so the hype will never be the same. I personally dislike Lebron a lot, the guy is the biggest douche in the universe. Lebron spends 10 minutes every morning looking for his championship rings before he remembers he has none. Not to mention that he doesn't have above an 8th grade education, yeah I don't think he hit the books much in HS.
Luck has earned they hype
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Luck has earned they hype

And LeBron didn't earn the hype?

• jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dobo:
The Luck hype is big but doesn't seem out of the ordinary for football. It seems every couple years there's a college player that all the talking heads think is worth tanking for.

The Lebron hype was sickening.

Lol Reggie Bush not to long ago
Given the choices, Lebron. Luck is not even pro yet. He may turn out great, or he may end up the victim of Tebowing.
Why isnt this thread locked yet?
Does anyone remember when Jimmy Clausen was at Oaks Christian and was on the cover of Cal High magazine and they were calling him the Lebron James of football. Oh and announcing your college choice at the steps of the college football hall of fame was very douchey
Originally posted by LB49ers:
Does anyone remember when Jimmy Clausen was at Oaks Christian and was on the cover of Cal High magazine and they were calling him the Lebron James of football. Oh and announcing your college choice at the steps of the college football hall of fame was very douchey

I remember watching him play at that army high school all star game.. what a bust
Share 49ersWebzone