LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 326 users in the forums

*** San Jose Sharks 2014 Off-Season Thread ***

• Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ads_2006:
I think I'm done.

Still into hockey, but I couldn't catch it anymore due to my work schedule.

But when playoffs roll around I'm still rooting for them, but won't think much of them

Good gtfo
Originally posted by diehardnyninerfan:
Originally posted by diehardnyninerfan:
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
sharks will win the cup over bruins this year, calling it now. its time for marleau and thornton

I wonder how many shark fans are going to give up being fans when they blow this lead. I really don't think it will happen but mark my words I am going to be lmao if it does.

And that would be number 4.Did I call it or what now.I got the second part right now just wondering how many of you guys are done.Same old sharks great regular season s**t in the playoffs

I don't care for hockey so I'm not a fan of any particular team although I do kind of follow the Sharks more than the other NHL teams because they're local but yeah, I feel sorry for the fans. Definitely among the most passionate fan bases I've come across. If I was into hockey, this team would've made me pull all my hair out the way they get the fans all hyped only to choke epically in the plays every single year. This team needs a damn killer instinct.
Originally posted by Garcia:
I think I'm done.

But when playoffs roll around I'm still rooting for them, but won't think much of them

Good gtfo

Seriously though.

I can't stand whining fans.

Yeah the 49ers didn't win the SB, they lost it. I'm not going to swear off the 49ers.

Win or lose, my team is my team.

If you can't enjoy the battles and struggles, and only enjoy wins, IMO you aren't really letting yourself enjoy the sport. Just wait for the newspaper the next day and read the score box. And this goes for any sport.

edit:

I also agree with you Garce on Joe Thornton. This team needs a new identity. That will never happen while Joe Thornton is on the team. He is going to be 35 years old, he won't have any trade value after this off-season.

I hate to use a Stars reference, but take a guy like Jamie Benn. Who would you want in playoffs more? The obvious answer is Jamie Benn, the dude plays angry, will f**k you up and score a clutch goal, even if he has to do it all by himself. Thats what Captains and star players do. Thats the standard. Or to use the Ducks, its Getzlaf. Or the Kings Kopitar (although Kopitar kills it with his D play, not so much with hits). Captains lead by setting a hell of an example for the team to follow. The rest of the team adopts the Captain's identity. In the NFL, teams adopt the coaches identity. In hockey, players adopt the Captain's identity.

Wheres Thornton's example? Stand still on the ice and turn the puck over?
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on May 1, 2014 at 4:58 PM ]
I think I'm done.

Good gtfo

Lol

I should quit my job/school to watch all the sharks games?
I think I'm done.

Good gtfo

Lol

You don't have DVR?
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I think I'm done.

Good gtfo

Lol

You don't have DVR?

nope too poor lol

and I agree with your assessment of Thornton, always the same thing. Hold onto the puck below the net and wait.

Hell, Dustin Brown (captain I believe) will at least get physical. Thornton doesnt even want to do that
ryan miller's a FA right?
Lol

Is this a serious question? Of course you should.

He is. Funny enough, Miller also has a reputation for failing in the clutch and not meeting expectations, so he'll fit right in.
I don't know how they fix it, but there has to be at least ONE major change. Has to be a shake-up. This can't keep happening. And this finally pushed everything over the edge for this team.

The team panicked. They fold under pressure all the time, not just in the post-season. How many times have we seen the Sharks blow massive in-game leads late in games in the season? Doubt creeps in instantaneously when a team doesn't just fold and go away after the Sharks are up. They don't have the killer instinct and they play as if they expect teams to give up when they're behind the Sharks. When they fight back, the Sharks looks surprised and unprepared and it's been like that for years.

It's time for the team to take an elimination mentality of beating a team while they're down on the ground. Pound them into the ground (or ice). Beat them into submission. Make them lose the WILL to even fight back against SJ. SJ gives every team it plays the hope that they can come back and beat them, while allowing themselves to question if they can hang onto whatever they've immediately accomplished.

Again, what do we do? I don't know. But we have to do something.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on May 1, 2014 at 9:02 PM ]

• Garce
  • Veteran
Seriously though.

Yeah the 49ers didn't win the SB, they lost it. I'm not going to swear off the 49ers.

If you can't enjoy the battles and struggles, and only enjoy wins, IMO you aren't really letting yourself enjoy the sport. Just wait for the newspaper the next day and read the score box. And this goes for any sport.

edit:

I also agree with you Garce on Joe Thornton. This team needs a new identity. That will never happen while Joe Thornton is on the team. He is going to be 35 years old, he won't have any trade value after this off-season.

I hate to use a Stars reference, but take a guy like Jamie Benn. Who would you want in playoffs more? The obvious answer is Jamie Benn, the dude plays angry, will f**k you up and score a clutch goal, even if he has to do it all by himself. Thats what Captains and star players do. Thats the standard. Or to use the Ducks, its Getzlaf. Or the Kings Kopitar (although Kopitar kills it with his D play, not so much with hits). Captains lead by setting a hell of an example for the team to follow. The rest of the team adopts the Captain's identity. In the NFL, teams adopt the coaches identity. In hockey, players adopt the Captain's identity.

I'm not sure the captain is on the team right now.

Maybe Burns, I thought Couture could be a captain at one point but dude has wilted in the last two playoff series v the kinds. I don't even want him on my team, let alone be the captain.

Joe Thornton's lack of aggressiveness is what ultimately will be his downfall. How many times have sharks fan said 'SHOOT, SHOOT' when he has the puck? He doesn't think like a goal scorer, he might as well be a OFD. I remember a play where I think Boyle had it on the wing.... waiting for someone to move to the net or something and Joe is standing still behind the net not doing anything... like wtf.
  • Garce
  • Veteran

I thought you were done?
I read that Doug Wilson wants McLellan and his staff going forward. Very interesting.
I think I'm done.

Good gtfo

Seriously though.

edit:

I love Kopi, but he is not a C, and has never been an extremely active leader. He just does what he does and is extremely consistent for the most part. Brown is the C but he has not filled this role well the last two seasons, although he was marvelous on the cup run. When it comes to the post season, its all about Williams for the Kings, and to a lesser extent Richards, and Carter. Doughty has also stepped up in the leadership dept as of late. At 24 he is becoming more of a man, and has accepted a leadership role finally.

Kopi will always be Kopi, he is my favorite player on the team, but he is not an extraordinary leader. A player like Kopi would certainly help a team like the sharks, or any team for that matter based on consistency, but he isaint the type that inspires an entire roster to elevate their game.

What the Sharks need is a couple of players that elevate their game at big moments and have ice in their veins.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
I read that Doug Wilson wants McLellan and his staff going forward. Very interesting.

Doug Wilson doesn't know he's getting married too
Share 49ersWebzone