LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

*** San Jose Sharks 2014 Off-Season Thread ***

• Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SportsFan:
"Torres neither leaps nor uses his elbow in delivering this hit. However, if he chooses to attempt a hit such as this, Torres must take a route that ensures he hits through the core of the body and does not make the head the principle point of contact."

That explains is perfect. And for Sarich's hit, he squared the guy up and drove through his body. Was the head hit as part of the contact, yes, but the upper torso was the target.

launched himself with intent, which is what torres didnt do.
i wondered why we never saw that hit from different angles.

idk if saddle dome only has one camera (CBC bias probably), but now a days you see 500 angles.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
"Torres neither leaps nor uses his elbow in delivering this hit. However, if he chooses to attempt a hit such as this, Torres must take a route that ensures he hits through the core of the body and does not make the head the principle point of contact."

That explains is perfect. And for Sarich's hit, he squared the guy up and drove through his body. Was the head hit as part of the contact, yes, but the upper torso was the target.

hit was in what? 07

would be a penalty/suspension/ career ban by todays standards

Please, coming from the guy who thought the hit on Roy (think that was his name) in the last round deserved an ejection from the game.

Torres hit is on a totally different playing field then Sarich's. Sarich's hit is clean. Torres was borderline for me, with me leaning to being slightly over.

Both end up being vicious hits because the player is looking / bent down. The big difference is Torres, as the NHL outlined, point of main contact was the head. Sarich was not. He squared up Patty and drove through him.

This is why I can't stand Shark fans. They whine and b***h about how dirty the Canucks were (and hated Torres for years), then when he is on their team they cry when he does this s**t. I found it very low for the coach and players to come out and say it was clean and put the blame on Stoll. Sharks organization and fans are hypocrits.
[ Edited by SportsFan on May 16, 2013 at 4:53 PM ]
Originally posted by Garcia:
torres is out tonight

Joe Pavelski – Logan Couture – Patrick Marleau

TJ Galiardi – Joe Thornton – Brent Burns

James Sheppard –Scott Gomez – Tommy Wingels

Andrew Desjardins –Tim Kennedy – Bracken Kearns

Matt Irwin – Dan Boyle

Marc-Edouard Vlasic – Justin Braun

Scott Hannan – Brad Stuart

Antti Niemi

Thomas Greiss

Scratched: Jason Demers , Matt Tennyson

Injured: Martin Havlat (lower body), Adam Burish (hand)

Are these seriously the official lines? I don't think coming out with the same group MINUS TORRES is a good idea AT ALL. We're asking for a loss with that. At best it seems like we'll have to win in a 1-0 game or OT...

hit was in what? 07

Please, coming from the guy who thought the hit on Roy (think that was his name) in the last round deserved an ejection from the game.

Torres hit is on a totally different playing field then Sarich's. Sarich's hit is clean. Torres was borderline for me, with me leaning to being slightly over.

Both end up being vicious hits because the player is looking / bent down. The big difference is Torres, as the NHL outlined, point of main contact was the head. Sarich was not. He squared up Patty and drove through him.

This is why I can't stand Shark fans. They whine and b***h about how dirty the Canucks were (and hated Torres for years), then when he is on their team they cry when he does this s**t. I found it very low for the coach and players to come out and say it was clean and put the blame on Stoll. Sharks organization and fans are hypocrits.

1) You talk about hypocrisy? Anyone can whine about what they think is "cheap". It's not as if we haven't seen certain other posters complain about something because it wasn't to their liking.... Why? Because it's a matter of OPINION. Sharks organization did nothing wrong trying to defend Torres in hopes of keep him from getting suspended. Who the F is going to say -- yeah, we agree, dirty hit. They were diplomatic in their support for their teammate. That's it.

2) Please don't lump all Sharks fans together. I haven't personally been involved in any of this hit discussion and many of the Sharks fans on this board haven't either. Again, regardless, there will always be fans of ANY team that have differing views or views you may deem incorrect. Don't let that feed a perception that leads to mass generalizations about the group.

3) I can see the hit from both sides. I do not believe it was "dirty" because I do not believe there was any malicious intent. If you watch guys like Corey Perry, you know what "malicious intent" is. I believe Torres intended to throw a hit, but not where it landed, and thus the penalty because it wound up being illegal, and that's all I can say about that.

I'll stop there.

hit was in what? 07

Although we'd agree that Torres might make initial contact with Stoll's shoulder," Shanahan says in the first instance, "that is a glancing blow. In fact, the head is the principal point of contact." I would argue thats the same thing with the sarich hit

And I believe the Canucks have developed the reputation of being a cheap team, we arent the only fans that think that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hoPiQUxPhc and the whole biting instance. Singling out sharks fans for that is asinine.

I don't understand if you are a flames fan or canucks fan or even a oilers fan. But its pretty clear you are an anti-sharks fan/ troll.

hit was in what? 07

Although we'd agree that Torres might make initial contact with Stoll's shoulder," Shanahan says in the first instance, "that is a glancing blow. In fact, the head is the principal point of contact." I would argue thats the same thing with the sarich hit

And I believe the Canucks have developed the reputation of being a cheap team, we arent the only fans that think that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hoPiQUxPhc and the whole biting instance. Singling out sharks fans for that is asinine.

I don't understand if you are a flames fan or canucks fan or even a oilers fan. But its pretty clear you are an anti-sharks fan/ troll.

I am an anti-Sharks fan. Just from history. They beat my teams out of the playoffs a few years in a row. So .. I root against them.
Leg, come on. You were upset for that hit on Roy last round. We argued over text about how that was not dirty. I am not saying this hit was dirty. But it is the same as I said about the hit on Roy (I think that is his name). It is a hit that is not necessary. Players have to learn to respect each other. The league can't legislate this stuff away (it will only ruin the game).

This is a play Torres didn't have to make. Yes he didn't leave his feet but you can clearly see that his shoulder, elbow makes contact with the head and he raises up through the check.

Okay...but if you're gonna reference the Roy hit on Stuart, his elbow came up through the hit and connected with Stu's head sending him to the ice. Why wasn't Roy suspended? I mean...the explanation...doesn't leave his feet or launch, but hits east to west, comes in high and hits through the head...the rationale used for the Torres suspension...wasn't applied. Why?

I am all for rules. I am all for protecting players. What I am not for is an uneven standard. Playoff games should be called the same way regular season games are, and every player judged by the same standard, douchebag or not.

I am no fan of Torres, as we've already discussed. But I have to ask...Torres hit Stoll, knocked him out of a game and gets suspended. Bieksa takes his stick to Havlat's groin and ruins him for the playoffs...and doesn't even draw a whistle, a fine after the fact or a suspension. Is that even application of the rules by Shanny? Hardly.

It is what it is, but it sucks.
And maybe SD can help out, but doesn't an undefined suspension avoid appeal process? Is that ok?
.. Am I the only one concerned that we continue to scratch Demers and are content to replace Torres and Havlat with Kennedy and Kearns?

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
.. Am I the only one concerned that we continue to scratch Demers and are content to replace Torres and Havlat with Kennedy and Kearns?

No you are not. I will +1 you on this one.
Yikes.
Sharks HAVE TO GET IN QUICKS FACE. FOR FRICKS SAKE, THE SHOT IS WORTHLESS IF NO ONE IS THERE.
Let's go, f**kers. Put one in on the PP.
whats this nbcHD crap?? is it gonna be like this from now on?
Share 49ersWebzone