There are 213 users in the forums

*** San Jose Sharks 2014 Off-Season Thread ***

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Holy crap we got 2 2nd round picks for Murray!! LOL what a steal!!

The dude is underrated around here in my opinion. But for the fact that his contract is up, that IS a bit of a steal. I will miss his monstrous hitting and ferocious fighting he brought to us. He was a great PK player and ate a lot of ice time. He was my favorite player on the team actually right now. Best of luck to him, going to a true cup contender this year.

So I'm guessing that means Demers should be getting more playing time (honestly I think they should start using him at winger like Burns).

its a great deal

we have young talent at D. his contract was up and he was not going to be in our plans any longer. Plus he is slow. Not good for us, since he is essentially our #4 d-man.

Will miss crankshaft, at least he went to a good team.
actually its only one 2nd round pick. The 2nd one wont happen FO SHO

Update: The picks are the Penguins' 2013 second-rounder and their 2014 second-rounder, conditional on Murray re-signing with Pittsburgh this summer.
Originally posted by Garcia:
Good move by Wilson, time to stock pile some picks.
Murray wasn't the greatest, but he wasn't terrible. He was movable IMO, good move.

Seems like Boyle to NYR is picking up steam. Flyers are interested.

Boyle would be an ideal trade bait... we get most likely a 1st rounder and we can an NHL player too, because of his cap hit. Hopefully we get a young guy who has potential but hasn't done much with his current team and needs a change of scenery to be successful. Thats really specific, but that's my ideal scenario if we trade Boyle.

Boyle has a huge contract and although he brings so much to this team in terms of puck-movement, veteran experience , poise, and scoring.. we need other pieces and with that contract we don't have the money to bring in the other players we could use. Abeltshauser seems to have a good chance to be the next puck-moving defenseman for SJ - he's a gifted skater and he's much bigger than Boyle. He signed a contract last spring and it's believed they wanted him to do one more year in the QMJHL like Vlasic did and then let him earn a spot on the 2013-14 roster.
eklund aka stupid ass, says we are looking into brian campbell

Originally posted by ads_2006:
eklund aka stupid ass, says we are looking into brian campbell

Seriously, again? That would make no sense. What would that accomplish? Bring in another big salary on defense but just decrease the age of the player?

I think it's obvious what we need. Better 3rd/4th liners that CAN and WILL SHOOT. Every line really needs someone who is good at getting in the eyes of the goaltender.
We don't need dmen, we need freaking scoring depth and or draft picks to restock on prospects.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
We don't need dmen, we need freaking scoring depth and or draft picks to restock on prospects.

Bingo. In the next couple of years, I'm interested in seeing who makes it up. Just looking at the prospect sites that talk about our up-and-comers, it seems like we have a small group of potential NHLers. A lot of guys "have a shot" but I hope to see something from our top prospects. According to Hockey's future, our top 5 on offense/defense in terms of "most likely to succeed" are:

Forwards:
1. Thomas Hertl
2. Freddie Hamilton
3. Matt Nieto
4. Travis Oleksuk
5. Cody Ferriero

Defensemen:
1. Matt Tennyson
2. Taylor Doherty
3. Dylan Demelo
4. Konrad Abeltshauser
5. Lee Moffie

Don't 100% agree on the rankings for these, but think most of these guys at least belong in the list.
WTF?!?!?!?!? NO GOAL? WHAT THE F!?? ARE YOU KIDDING ME??
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 25, 2013 at 9:24 PM ]
Glad that it wound up not mattering in the end, but wow.

Finally nice to see a good offensive showing by the Sharks. Whatever they did worked, what were the lines tonight? From what I could tell, it was...

Havlat-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Wingels
Sheppard-Pavelski-Galiardi
Burish-Desjardins-Gomez

Irwin-Boyle
Vlasic-Demers
Stuart-Braun
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 25, 2013 at 9:58 PM ]
Pavs centering the 3rd is the way it should be, we need to spread out the scoring badly. Great win but I need to see this damn effort night in and night out before I'm happy again with this team, just looking forward to more trades right now. They played like guys who don't want to get traded

Finally nice to see a good offensive showing by the Sharks. Whatever they did worked, what were the lines tonight? From what I could tell, it was...

Havlat-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Wingels
Burish-Desjardins-Gomez

Irwin-Boyle
Vlasic-Demers
Stuart-Braun

That's how I saw the lines as well. I was pleasantly surprised to see them shake things up like that. We needed to balance out the lines.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Looks like we are shopping Clowe.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Havlat-Thornton-Burns
Marleau-Couture-Wingels
Burish-Desjardins-Gomez

Irwin-Boyle
Vlasic-Demers
Stuart-Braun

That's how I saw the lines as well. I was pleasantly surprised to see them shake things up like that. We needed to balance out the lines.

I think the last time we spread it out by putting Pavs on the third line we saw it pay dividends huge. I'm so glad they're doing it again. Honestly, he does outstanding on the 3rd line. I can't recall but I think the last time I saw him on the third line he was with Wellwood and Mitchell. Sort of similar when you think about it. Mitchell vs. Galiardi as far as speed, Wellwood vs. Sheppard as far as puck handling and creating scoring chances.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Any chance the Sharks can get jerome iginla?

what do you think we would have to give up?

Boyle and Clowe ? LOL not gonna happen, but wishful thinking.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
"This is coming to crunch time," Wilson said, saying the bigger refresh comes now or in the summer. "The phone has been busy, and we'll take all calls."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog/_/name/custance_craig/id/9099613/nhl-potential-san-jose-sharks-roster-reset
Share 49ersWebzone