LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 214 users in the forums

SEC Thread

This year may be the biggest argument for a playoff yet.

It also exposes the bias of the voters/sports media.
Originally posted by aman49:

IMO Alabama and LSU are the two best teams in the land. Even if they had a playoff system, I would be surprised if LSU v. Alabama wasn't still the title game. However, I *do* think there should be a playoff system.
Originally posted by aman49:

No, it exposes the reputation of the SEC.
  • zero
  • Veteran
Richt payed his own staff out of pocket, and the NCAA hates that!!!!

ATHENS, Ga. -- Believing members of his football staff weren't being compensated satisfactorily, Georgia coach Mark Richt unknowingly violated NCAA rules by paying them out of his own pocket.

Richt's payments to several staffers were among a series of secondary NCAA violations uncovered by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution in a standard open records report released Tuesday.

According to the AJC report, Richt's actions broke NCAA rules on supplemental pay. But discipline was limited to letters of admonishment from the school to Richt and those he made payments to, as well as additional rules education, the report said.

The NCAA considered the issue closed Nov. 30, according to the AJC.

"The report stands on its own," athletic director Greg McGarity said Monday, the newspaper reported. "There's nothing to add. We're moving forward."

Georgia's investigation into the matter determined that Richt made several impermissible payments:

• To former recruiting assistant Charlie Cantor, $10,842 over an 11-month period through March 2011.

• To former linebackers coach John Jancek, $10,000 in 2009 after the previous university administration declined to give Jancek a raise when he turned down a coaching opportunity elsewhere.

• To director of player development John Eason, $6,150 in 2010 when his new administrative position called for a salary reduction after he stepped down from an assistant coaching position on Richt's staff.

Richt also paid a total of $15,227 when the school -- citing "difficult economic conditions being experienced by the University" -- refused bowl bonuses to 10 non-coach staff members: director of sports medicine Ron Courson, video coordinator Joe Tereshinski, strength coaches Keith Gray and Clay Walker, football operations manager Josh Brooks, high school liaison Ray Lamb and four administrative assistants.

He also paid a five-year longevity bonus of $15,337.50 due to tight ends coach Dave Johnson when he took a job at West Virginia in 2008 just short of his fifth anniversary coaching at UGA and $6,000 to fired defensive ends coach Jon Fabris in 2010 when Fabris was unable to find a job after his UGA severance package expired.

According to the AJC report, Georgia did not consider any of the payments to violate NCAA rules at the time because they were made with knowledge of the athletics administration.

• zero
  • Veteran
Roughly two weeks away from SEC media days....

The SEC has announced the lineup for SEC media days on July 17-19 in Hoover, Alabama. The schedule has Texas A&M, South Carolina, Missouri and Vanderbilt appearing on Tuesday, July 17. Then on Wednesday, July 18, Florida, Mississippi State, Arkansas, Kentucky, Auburn and LSU will be on the docket. The final day, Thursday, July 19, will feature Alabama, Tennessee, Ole Miss and Georgia.
  • zero
  • Veteran
Been working my ass off so I missed this but here are the 2012 Predictions from SEC Media days from 222 members of the media in attendance. Does it mean I'll be seeing my Bayou Bengals in Miami on January 7th, 2013? Who knows, but these guys usually aren't wrong.

link

Media members gathered in Hoover, Alabama for the Southeastern Conference Media Days this week and have released their preseason All-SEC Teams and their predicted order of finish.

The 222 media members predicted LSU as the conference champion for the upcoming 2012 season. The voters also selected the Tigers as the Western Division Champion and picked Georgia as the Eastern Division Champion.

Florida received 12 first place votes and was selected third in the Eastern Division.

Georgia QB and Plant alum Aaron Murray was voted preseason 2nd-Team All-SEC quarterback. Gators' kicker Caleb Sturgis earned 1st-Team All-SEC honors.

2012 SEC Preseason Predictions

SEC Champion(Total Points)1. LSU (129) 2. Alabama (65) 3. Georgia (14) 4. South Carolina (6) 5. Arkansas (4) 6. Auburn (2) T7. Florida (1) T7. Ole Miss (1)

Eastern Division(First Place Votes)1. Georgia (132) 2. South Carolina (72) 3. Florida (12) 4. Missouri (2) 5. Tennessee (4) 6. Vanderbilt 7. Kentucky

Western Division(First Place Votes)1. LSU (139) 2. Alabama (72) 3. Arkansas (6) 4. Auburn (4) 5. Texas A&M 6. Mississippi State 7. Ole Miss (1)

[ Edited by zero on Jul 22, 2012 at 10:36 PM ]
  • zero
  • Veteran
Bear Bryant busts on sale now at the Tuscaloosa Wal-Mart. Only $98.77 each, and if you look closely, you'll see that you have two options.

• zero
  • Veteran
Knile Davis 600 lb squat. He's probably the best RB in the SEC (If Lattimore is still injured) and if you don't know who he is, well, you should.

[ Edited by zero on Jul 24, 2012 at 12:03 AM ]
  • zero
  • Veteran
It's the very best conference for a reason

LSU, Alabama 1 &2 in USA Today Coaches Poll

Five teams from SEC ranked in the top 10 too. Could be a blessing and a curse though as few teams go wire to wire with this ranking. All I have to say is ALL HAIL METT, and Geaux Tigers.
[ Edited by zero on Aug 2, 2012 at 12:54 PM ]
Big News, LSU CB Tyran Mathieu dismissed from team.

• zero
  • Veteran
I usually don't do this but for the sake of the conference, GO BAMA!!!

Shouldn't really matter anyway as I expect any Big 11 team to fall down against an SEC team.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
So happy to be in the SEC. LETS GO TIGERS!!!

• zero
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jrg:

Hell ya man! You're back and I'm looking forward to seeing what Missouri can do in the SEC East. Don't be afraid to let your SEC homerism flow out of you too, especially here
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by zero:
Originally posted by jrg:

Hell ya man! You're back and I'm looking forward to seeing what Missouri can do in the SEC East. Don't be afraid to let your SEC homerism flow out of you too, especially here

Pretty good start

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=322450142
A&M is about to get its cherry broke... Woohoo... Gig em Aggies
Share 49ersWebzone