LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

SEC Thread

Originally posted by epdavis:
I am not an A&M fan but I do live in TX & I think people are seriously underrating what a move to the SEC can do for A&M. Moving to the #1 conference & being in a state that has a TON of talent while no longer being in the shadow of Texas is a huge plus for A&M. They have big money alumni, enough history & clout to be a legitimate contender in the SEC imo.

It's a great move for them. I don't buy them as contenders, but there's money to be made as a second-tier team in the SEC.
Another thing A&M has is that the experience of watching a Texas A&M football game can rival just about any in college, it is GREAT. It seems every time a list of top stadiums or college football experiences come out A&M is in the top 5.
Let's say they do accept A&M. Do they roll with 13 or look for a 14th member?
Originally posted by Overkill:

I think Florida St is the most logical choice
Originally posted by epdavis:
Another thing A&M has is that the experience of watching a Texas A&M football game can rival just about any in college, it is GREAT. It seems every time a list of top stadiums or college football experiences come out A&M is in the top 5.

12th man is widely recognized, TAMU's home crowd is like a poor man's Autzen, and that's not a diss at all (more of a compliment to Autzen's home crowd)
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by Overkill:

I think Florida St is the most logical choice

Gators will fight that. Virginia Tech or Clemson could be options, too.
Originally posted by pantstickle:

The Gators would fight it but I believe that a total of 4 schools would have to vote against FSU to prevent them from joining. I believe Bama and maybe UGA would fight FSU joining but really can't think of any other school that would deny them. There are way too many factors.
Originally posted by drake49er:

The Gators would fight it but I believe that a total of 4 schools would have to vote against FSU to prevent them from joining. I believe Bama and maybe UGA would fight FSU joining but really can't think of any other school that would deny them. There are way too many factors.

There's probably a couple of reasons to pursue other schools. You've already got the Florida panhandle pretty much under control as far as tv and recruiting, so adding FSU doesn't add anything there. They add prestige, talent, competition, and all that, and they'd make the SEC seem more dominant and look like a bunch of badasses.

Adding Virginia Tech gives you another state for recruiting and ever more tv market though.

You're right, though, there are way too many factors. I think it doesn't really matter who the 14th team ends up being, the SEC will get better either way.
There's probably a couple of reasons to pursue other schools. You've already got the Florida panhandle pretty much under control as far as tv and recruiting, so adding FSU doesn't add anything there. They add prestige, talent, competition, and all that, and they'd make the SEC seem more dominant and look like a bunch of badasses.

Adding Virginia Tech gives you another state for recruiting and ever more tv market though.

You're right, though, there are way too many factors. I think it doesn't really matter who the 14th team ends up being, the SEC will get better either way.

I agree with you though. It will benefit the SEC the most if they go after Va tech and Texas A&M. FSU to the SEC makes sense but not that much. The SEC would be adding a up and coming FSU team to help strengthen the East. FSU would get a slight bump in money, gain more traction in building their IPF and may get a few commits that only want to go to the SEC. It's more of a status symbol for both than any signifcant benefits.
Originally posted by drake49er:

I dunno, I think Fl St has a bigger fan base and would draw more TV ratings. Just cuz they have FL doesn't mean they get all the ratings.

And I don't think school administrator's care much about the recruiting aspect. I think they care about a team's tradition, competitiveness, and the $$$ they will make off of it.

I dunno, I think Fl St has a bigger fan base and would draw more TV ratings. Just cuz they have FL doesn't mean they get all the ratings.

And I don't think school administrator's care much about the recruiting aspect. I think they care about a team's tradition, competitiveness, and the $$$ they will make off of it.

Ya know, I'm curious to see what a college football season is like in the panhandle. I've seen a fair share of FSU gear around, but then I also see Auburn, Bama, Georgia and Florida represented just as much. It's kind of a weird place, because you're basically an hour away from being out of the state all the time, so it's like a melting pot of hillbillies from Georgia, Alabama, and Florida.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
so who would make the most sense for the Big 12? SMU has been putting out feelers to join the conference and honestly if I was the Big 12 I'd go after them... the conference still has a really solid TV deal
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Paul:
so who would make the most sense for the Big 12? SMU has been putting out feelers to join the conference and honestly if I was the Big 12 I'd go after them... the conference still has a really solid TV deal

Since all this is about money and TV markets, SMU makes no sense, as does any Texas team because those markets/ dollars are already secure. As far as the TV deal, it would seem to me A&M breached that contract and should be liable for suit. What's funny is they will actually make less money on the SEC than the 20M they got from the current deal. I honestly can't think of any logical school for the big?. This domino doesn't bode well for the future of the conference.

I found an estimation of the money FSU would make if they went to the SEC compared to the ACC. It's only a slight bump. I'll try to find the numbers again.

Ya know, I'm curious to see what a college football season is like in the panhandle. I've seen a fair share of FSU gear around, but then I also see Auburn, Bama, Georgia and Florida represented just as much. It's kind of a weird place, because you're basically an hour away from being out of the state all the time, so it's like a melting pot of hillbillies from Georgia, Alabama, and Florida.

lol...I grew up in that area. That area is weird when it comes to CFB. It's mostly FSU, Auburn, and Bama fans. With an occasional mix of Florida and UGA fans. If Miami wasn't bout to get punished by the NCAA...I would say that they would be a good fit. It opens up the South Florida Market. It will be interesting to see it all play out. I'm sure rumors are going to all over the place.
  • zero
  • Veteran
Anyone with ESPN3 care to tell me how Mississippi State looks versus Memphis?
Share 49ersWebzone