There are 169 users in the forums

Best NBA team of all-time?

the 82-83 Philadelphia 76er's were an intimidating team, doc, moses, toney, cheeks, jones....that team would dominate today
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I didn't witness the 1971-1972 Lakers, but there are no words for that 33 game run they went on. Unbelievable. The lineup reads like a who's who, but I can only speak on what I saw. What the 1995-1996 Bulls did was amazing, but I think the 1986-1987 Los Angeles Lakers faced tougher competition so I give the nod to them.

The Heat are my team, but they do not deserve to be a part of this discussion.

In spite of that team being stuffed with hall of famers, they lost many a final to the Celtics or Knicks.
Originally posted by BobS:
I didn't witness the 1971-1972 Lakers, but there are no words for that 33 game run they went on. Unbelievable. The lineup reads like a who's who, but I can only speak on what I saw. What the 1995-1996 Bulls did was amazing, but I think the 1986-1987 Los Angeles Lakers faced tougher competition so I give the nod to them.

In spite of that team being stuffed with hall of famers, they lost many a final to the Celtics or Knicks.

True, but we are only talking about one year. It's like knocking the 1989 49ers team because they used to get knocked around by the Giants in previous seasons.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by YungAce:
95-96 Bulls
I'm a bulls fan so....

the bulls team that went 72-10, is my vote.

True, but we are only talking about one year. It's like knocking the 1989 49ers team because they used to get knocked around by the Giants in previous seasons.

Remember though, Elgin Baylor retired a few games into the season, so it wasn't the same squad that kept getting beat by the Celtics and Knicks. It was West, an older Wilt, Goodrich, & Happy Hairston. Still a great team, but not an obscenely star-studded cast, IMO.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

Remember though, Elgin Baylor retired a few games into the season, so it wasn't the same squad that kept getting beat by the Celtics and Knicks. It was West, an older Wilt, Goodrich, & Happy Hairston. Still a great team, but not an obscenely star-studded cast, IMO.

The Baylor teams were beat by the Celtics. Look it up. True Wilt wasn't there for long. I was making mention of them losing in the finals a lot before 71-72, not after. I would say that team is at least top 5 all time, as you mentioned the 71-72 squad was getting old.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

The Baylor teams were beat by the Celtics. Look it up. True Wilt wasn't there for long. I was making mention of them losing in the finals a lot before 71-72, not after. I would say that team is at least top 5 all time, as you mentioned the 71-72 squad was getting old.

I know the Baylor teams were continually beaten, he retired without a ring. That's what I'm saying. If you look at their roster on a piece of paper, it LOOKS more impressive because it had Elgin Baylor's name on it, but in reality he retired 7 or 9 games into the season (can't remember which) and wasn't a part of the 33 game streak or playoffs.
If this Heat team gets this series in 5, would you guys consider them one of the all time teams?

1. 1st year of revamped roster
2. Beat some very tough defensive teams and talented teams in 5 games (Boston/CHI)
3. Would beat Dallas in 5, a team that nearly dominated the West in the playoffs and appeared unbeatable. Has held them to under 90 per game.

I really don't see an all-time great team this Heat team would struggle against. Their offense isn't the greatest, but they an really lock teams down. The Wade/James vs. Jordan/Pippen matchup would be insane.

The Kobe/Shaq matchup would probably be the most difficult but they have surprisingly done well against solid rebounding teams.
72-10

Originally posted by Joecool:
If this Heat team gets this series in 5, would you guys consider them one of the all time teams?

1. 1st year of revamped roster
2. Beat some very tough defensive teams and talented teams in 5 games (Boston/CHI)
3. Would beat Dallas in 5, a team that nearly dominated the West in the playoffs and appeared unbeatable. Has held them to under 90 per game.

I really don't see an all-time great team this Heat team would struggle against. Their offense isn't the greatest, but they an really lock teams down. The Wade/James vs. Jordan/Pippen matchup would be insane.

The Kobe/Shaq matchup would probably be the most difficult but they have surprisingly done well against solid rebounding teams.

That's my boy, Jc. He never fails to disappoint. He's money. 13-13 type s**t.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
the 1999 and 2003 Spurs were better than today's Heat.

Everyone forgets how good the Spurs are and have been. When they had the twin towers with Avery Johnson they were amazing.

99 or 03 Spurs against the Heat I take the Spurs.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bejaard49er:

Everyone forgets how good the Spurs are and have been. When they had the twin towers with Avery Johnson they were amazing.

Funny how people even mention this year's Heat. They can't stop Nowitzski when it matters, what would Duncan and Robinson do to them? As for the Heat I believe any team with a dominant big and a decent supporting cast would sweep them. They would not beat Shaq's Lakers for sure.

and steve kerr and sean elliott, mario elle, malik rose, antonio daniels. All those guys were major role players. All those guys were more than solid in 1999.

'05 and '07 Spurs were way better than the '99 and '03 ones
Share 49ersWebzone