LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 219 users in the forums

Dirk Nowitzki vs Larry Bird

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/723111-dirk-nowitzki-vs-larry-bird-who-truly-is-the-better-of-the-two

Since everyone and their moms is comparing them, my buddy decided to write about it
Tell him what you think, some of you might remember him. He's the NY Giants fan that has gone to a couple of the tailgates with me. His wifey had that big booty lol
While the article was well written, your friend is completely wrong.

*Dirk has played in roughly 100 more games then Bird.*

Defense
While Dirk has 200+ more career blocks then Bird, Bird has 650+ more steals. Almost double that of Dirks (1556-884). - Advantage - Bird

3 pointers
Dirk has almost double the 3pt attempts then Bird. While Bird's 3 point percentage was 37.6% and Dirks being 38.1. Advantage - Push. Both are about equal.

Rebounds
Dirk has never averaged over 10.0 boards a game. (9.9 a game twice). Bird averaged 10.0 for his career (11.0 his season high). Career averages: Bird - 10.0, Dirk - 8.4. Advantage - Bird

FG/FT
Both are close to even. Bird's attempted more FG, has a higher FG % (49.5 to 47.6). Bird has a better FT % (88.6% to 87.7%) - Advantage - close to a Push, but its Bird.

Assists
Not even close. Dirk's career 2.7. Bird's career 6.3. Advantage - Bird

Overall, Bird trumps Dirk in everything. Bird's a 3 time NBA MVP, 2 times NBA Finals MVP, 9 time All-NBA 1st team, 3 times All-NBA Defensive 2nd team. He's a better shooter, superior defender, way better rebounder, better passer. There was nothing Bird couldn't do. Dirk is a good offensive player, but he's nowhere near Larry Legend in anything he does.
[ Edited by Travisty13 on Jun 4, 2011 at 4:25 AM ]
Just to add how great Bird is to Dirk. Cool stories that show Bird's way more competitive then Dirk. And not as soft:

*During the three-point shooting contest on All-Star Weekend 1986, Bird entered the locker room, looked around without saying a word, then finally said, "I want all of you to know I am winning this thing. I'm just looking around to see who's gonna finish up second." He won the shooting contest, and never took off his warm-up jacket while shooting.

*During one game on Christmas Day against the Indiana Pacers, before the game Bird told Chuck Person that he had a Christmas present waiting for him. During the game, when Person was on the bench, Bird shot a three-pointer on the baseline right in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry f**kin' Christmas!", and then the shot went in. This was no doubt inspired by Person (nicknamed the "Rifleman") stating prior to the game that "The Rifleman is Coming, and He's Going Bird Hunting."

*Reggie Miller recalled his encounter with Larry Bird's legendary trash talking ability in his book "I Love Being The Enemy". Reggie tried to disrupt Larry's concentration when he was shooting free throws late in a game. Larry glared at him, made the first free throw and said, "Rook, I am the best shooter in the league right now. In the league. Understand? And you're up here trying to tell me something?" Then Larry buried the second free throw.

*Late in a tied game against the Seattle SuperSonics, Bird told Supersonics forward Xavier McDaniel, who was guarding him, “I’m going to get [the ball] right here and I am going to shoot it in your face.” As McDaniel remembers it, he responded by saying, “I know, I’ll be waiting.” After a timeout, Bird made two baseline cuts, then posted in the exact spot he had indicated to McDaniel, paused, turned, and made it in his face. He finished up the sequence by telling McDaniel, “I didn’t mean to leave two seconds on the clock.”

*On November 9, 1984, Bird was ejected along with Julius Erving in the third quarter after an on court scuffle. At the point of both ejections, Bird had outscored Erving 42 to 6. During the game, Bird had continuously informed Erving of their tallies with every chance he got to score. Bird denies this stating that it was teammate "M.L. (Carr) talking trash from the bench" during that game. Eventually a shoving match ensued, then swings taken by both players, and finally a bench-clearing brawl.

*Plus a very well known Larry Bird quote "As far as playing, I didn't care who guarded me - red, yellow, black. I just didn't want a white guy guarding me, because it's disrespect to my game. " While Dirk has no complaints (hey Nick Collison!) with white dudes guarding him.
[ Edited by Travisty13 on Jun 4, 2011 at 4:29 AM ]
dirk
Originally posted by LBCniner:
dirk is nowhere near as great as larry
Fixed.
dirk is the greatest german to ever LIVE!! LIVE!!!
Originally posted by LBCniner:
dirk is the greatest german to ever LIVE!! LIVE!!!

Considering his only competition is Detlef Schrempf, that's not hard. Lol.
I think I'd be willing to revisit this topic if Dirk has at least 8+ more consecutive seasons of near-fantastic basketball. For now, my vote is overwhelmingly for Bird.
Originally posted by Travisty13:

Defense
While Dirk has 200+ more career blocks then Bird, Bird has 650+ more steals. Almost double that of Dirks (1556-884). - Advantage - Bird

3 pointers
Dirk has almost double the 3pt attempts then Bird. While Bird's 3 point percentage was 37.6% and Dirks being 38.1. Advantage - Push. Both are about equal.

Rebounds
Dirk has never averaged over 10.0 boards a game. (9.9 a game twice). Bird averaged 10.0 for his career (11.0 his season high). Career averages: Bird - 10.0, Dirk - 8.4. Advantage - Bird

FG/FT
Both are close to even. Bird's attempted more FG, has a higher FG % (49.5 to 47.6). Bird has a better FT % (88.6% to 87.7%) - Advantage - close to a Push, but its Bird.

Assists

Overall, Bird trumps Dirk in everything. Bird's a 3 time NBA MVP, 2 times NBA Finals MVP, 9 time All-NBA 1st team, 3 times All-NBA Defensive 2nd team. He's a better shooter, superior defender, way better rebounder, better passer. There was nothing Bird couldn't do. Dirk is a good offensive player, but he's nowhere near Larry Legend in anything he does.

Is it safe to say that the level of competition has shot up since the days of Bird? Hence the lower numbers in certain areas for Dirk. In all honesty, if Larry Bird played today would he still be able to dominate the way he did back then?
Bird without question, cmon guys

Bird in a landslide.
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Originally posted by Travisty13:

Defense

3 pointers

Rebounds

FG/FT

Assists

Is it safe to say that the level of competition has shot up since the days of Bird? Hence the lower numbers in certain areas for Dirk. In all honesty, if Larry Bird played today would he still be able to dominate the way he did back then?

Bird was basically a 6'9" Steve Nash. Hell yes he would have dominated today. Dirk scores. He's great at it, but that's all he does. Not the case with Bird.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
....really?
Your friend sucks for making me defend a Celtic.

Watch these. He didn't dominate because he was faster or more athletic than his opponent even back in his day. But he knew what was happening on the court a good half second ahead of everyone else. The only other guys that had his kinda court vision were Magic, Nash, Stockton, & Kidd.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran

He wasnt the greatest passer of all time like the video says but Dirk is nowhere near Birds league. Level of competition isnt like today lol.........idiotic statement
Share 49ersWebzone