LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

The best team never to win an NBA title

Originally posted by nicedraw94080:

Good Lord.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,800 for nicedraw94080.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

Good Lord.

Let me guess , Pippen should be in this picture too?
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
The 97-98 Pacers lead by Reggie Miller was the ONLY team to take the Bulls to game 7 and almost won the series, were robbed in game 7 when Travis Best's 3 pointer was dis-allowed, it was clearly before the buzzer. That team was damn good team. They had Smits, Dale Davis and Antonio Davis, Chris Mullin, Marc Jackson, Jalen Rose, Travis Best, Derrick McKey, and of course Reggie Miller.

Gave the Bulls everything they could handle and then some.

100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When looking at the best teams that never won it, you must look at the teams with the fewest weaknesses...well, because teams that don't win it usually have a weakness.

This Pacers team had the fewest weaknesses if any at all. The were tough defensively, they had a 7'4" Center who could hit the 16-footer and had awesome Forwards to help with the rebounding and defense. They had the "go-to" pressure shooter, a very smart PG who could also post-up...

Utah Jazz would be #2 but their problem was that their "post-up" go-to guy wasn't all that great when it came to crunch time and he (Malone) resorted to the jump shot which really hurt his team when he went on droughts. The only times he would use that strength and attack the basket was off a Stockton pick and roll.

Kings were awesome but just weren't athletic enough which is why the ball always seemed to not bounce in their favor. They also didn't have the "clutch" player as Peja and Webber weren't critical game situation guys.

SEA had that old age problem of the PG being the teams leading scorer and responsible for setting the offense. That's a weakness because all you do is what CHI did which is put a lengthy defender on him which is also what was done to Derrek Rose.

That Pacers team was really really good...and I remember very well, that Reggie Miller was injured and was playin' on a bad knee the last few games against the Bulls. That team was 2 deep at every position. I really thought they'd beat the Bulls in game 7...almost.

Good Lord.

No. It's that...

1) Some of the people included are ridiculous. Dan Majerle, Rik Smits, John Starks? Was Hersey Hawkins not available?

2) The Bulls won 6 titles. Most of the legit players in that pic had careers that spanned 2-3 times that long. I mean hell, Stockton & Malone were together for EIGHTEEN YEARS and only won the West twice. But it was MJ and MJ alone that prevented them from winning titles.

Good Lord.

No. It's that...

1) Some of the people included are ridiculous. Dan Majerle, Rik Smits, John Starks? Was Hersey Hawkins not available?

2) The Bulls won 6 titles. Most of the legit players in that pic had careers that spanned 2-3 times that long. I mean hell, Stockton & Malone were together for EIGHTEEN YEARS and only won the West twice. But it was MJ and MJ alone that prevented them from winning titles.

Most of these players were scoring guards. Just so happens Jordan was lucky to be in a league without any dominant Front Court players and the ones who were supremely dominant were power forwards in the West who ended up knocking each other out and even their teams had undersized Guards.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

Good Lord.

No. It's that...

I was about to say that.

Good Lord.

No. It's that...

I was about to say that.

So your saying MJ didn't stop them twice?

Good Lord.

No. It's that...

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Good Lord.

No. It's that...

I was about to say that.

So your saying MJ didn't stop them twice?

The BULLS stopped them twice, just as 16 other teams did.

Good Lord.

No. It's that...

Most of these players were scoring guards. Just so happens Jordan was lucky to be in a league without any dominant Front Court players and the ones who were supremely dominant were power forwards in the West who ended up knocking each other out and even their teams had undersized Guards.

Jordan was the lucky one?

Yet, Jordan was the guard that never had any dominant front court players on his championship rosters besides maybe Rodman who was one dimensional.

Good Lord.

No. It's that...

Yet, Jordan was the guard that never had any dominant front court players on his championship rosters besides maybe Rodman who was one dimensional.

Yeah Joecool pretty much just lost his credibility with that comment. Speaking of dominant front court players, back in MJ's day you had Ewing, Shaq, Hakeem, David Robinson, etc. There is not a single center in today's game as good as any of those guys. Dwight's good but he's not as good as those. Maybe Ewing. But Ewing had a better supporting cast then Dwight. MJ got past Shaq and Ewing. those are 2 pretty good frontcourt players.

Good Lord.

No. It's that...

Oh, you mean in a league with very little front court domination? Yes, he was lucky to be in his prime in the 90's. I'm not saying he isn't a top 3 player of all time. Personally, I don't think he's the best player ever. He doesn't win 6 if he were in his prime in the 80's.

Take a look at Kobe, who would have won more than 5 rings if it weren't for a dominant big man named Tim Duncan. Jordan never had to deal with that kind of player. You can say Ewing all you want but at that point, Ewing was nothing more than a 10 foot shooter who occasionally took it in strong.

Now, where was all the talent during Jordan's ear? In the West where they all battled each other out and sometimes out of contention such as Hakeem and Robinson. What happened the year after Jordan's second retirement. The "great" team he battled against in the East playoffs, the Knicks, went to the Finals (without Ewing) and got beat down by the Spurs.

Jordan was fortunate enough that all the talent was in the Western Conference and when it came to the Finals, the Bulls had favorable mathups. Kobe/Shaq Lakers would have beaten some of those Bulls teams and so would have the Spurs.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Good Lord.

No. It's that...

Yeah Joecool pretty much just lost his credibility with that comment. Speaking of dominant front court players, back in MJ's day you had Ewing, Shaq, Hakeem, David Robinson, etc. There is not a single center in today's game as good as any of those guys. Dwight's good but he's not as good as those. Maybe Ewing. But Ewing had a better supporting cast then Dwight. MJ got past Shaq and Ewing. those are 2 pretty good frontcourt players.

Oh, you mean the Big men in the Western Conference? Kobe would have more than 5 if it weren't for Tim Duncan.

Also, during those times, Ewing was not what he was. He was a 10-foot shooter and very slow. It took him 2 days to drive 7 feet.
[ Edited by Joecool on May 31, 2011 at 2:32 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone