There are 145 users in the forums

If Garret is still there at # 2...........

If Garret is still there at # 2...........

This seems to be one scenario that no one assumes will happen, but I thought I would pose the question anyway.

If I was Lynch, I would take him in a heartbeat. Your call........
Now this is a great question. I take him. Except if someone offers me a ridiculous deal.
Trade down if you can get the value you want.
Originally posted by Lobo49er:

which would be...? Whats your price?
Originally posted by English:

That's the big question. How much will it take for the Niners to give up the consensus top prospect in this draft?
  • evil
  • Veteran
Now this is a great question. I take him. Except if someone offers me a ridiculous deal.

Yup, you sit and use all your allotted time to make the pick. Patience to see what teams may be willing to offer up.
Trade down if the price is right. If Tennessee gave us their two first and a third next year Id do it.

At 5 we could still possibly land Solomon Thomas. But even if not the options are a plenty.

3 picks between #5 and #34 could turn a franchise around overnight. If you have the opportunity you have to take it.

We could potentially get Corey Davis, Haason Reddick and bpa at Leo with 34. Point is we could turn those 3 picks into some serious talent and Thats how you turn around a team quickly.
[ Edited by JBrack on Mar 26, 2017 at 8:31 AM ]
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Take him.

5 and 18 from Tenessee would work for me (as an example)

And for the record, I've been laughed at by many for saying we should trade down if Garrett is there so this post will be interesting to watch.
[ Edited by Lobo49er on Mar 26, 2017 at 8:30 AM ]

The issue with this is that if someone would offer us a ridiculous deal for Garrett at #2, they'd likely offer the Browns that same ridiculous deal for Garrett at #1 and the Browns have shown a willingness to trade back in recent years.

The most likely possibilities:
1. The Browns draft Garrett
2. The Browns are offered a ridiculous haul for Garrett and trade back with someone else who selects Garrett at #1.
3. The Browns aren't offered a ridiculous haul for Garrett and decide to pick someone else (a QB?) or trade the pick to someone else who values a QB more than any team values Garrett.

The 3rd scenario isn't likely since Garrett is the best player in the class by far in my opinion, but in that scenario, no one values Garrett that highly and any trade we get for the #2 pick is worth less than someone offered to trade up to #1. In that case, I'd run to the podium to pick Garrett.
[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on Mar 26, 2017 at 8:32 AM ]

• krizay
  • Veteran
1. JG, #11 & 2nd next year (saints get Malcolm butler)

2. Kirk Cousins and #17

3. AJ MCCARRON, #9, 1st next year. 2nd this year and next

4. #5, #18 & a 2nd next year
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:

The issue with this is that if someone would offer us a ridiculous deal for Garrett at #2, they'd likely offer the Browns that same ridiculous deal for Garrett at #1 and the Browns have shown a willingness to trade back in recent years.

The most likely possibilities:
1. The Browns draft Garrett
2. The Browns are offered a ridiculous haul for Garrett and trade back with someone else who selects Garrett at #1.
3. The Browns aren't offered a ridiculous haul for Garrett and decide to pick someone else (a QB?) or trade the pick to someone else who values a QB more than any team values Garrett.

The 3rd scenario isn't likely since Garrett is the best player in the class by far in my opinion, but in that scenario, no one values Garrett that highly and any trade we get for the #2 pick is worth less than someone offered to trade up to #1. In that case, I'd run to the podium to pick Garrett.

What if the Browns want Trubisky the home town kid who actually wants to play there?
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
I can see the Browns doing something stupid like this.......not far fetched
Listen to trade offers and if there is a great trade take it. if not draft him. It matter on how far down the trade is. if someone offered two first and 2 second round picks or something like that I would move down. If the jet offered pick 6, there second and there 1 first next year.If for some reason Cleveland offer 12, 33 52 and something next year take it. I have no idea why they would do anything like this and I don't think it will happen. If Arizona offer a trade it would have to be way to good to pass up because you do not want to have to play him 2 times a year and in playoffs. I really don't think he will be there to make a trade, and I have no problem with the 49er drafting him. the only reason to trade is to get a hole bunch of picks to help rebuild the team.
[ Edited by dlance on Mar 26, 2017 at 8:47 AM ]
Originally posted by krizay:
1. JG, #11 & 2nd next year (saints get Malcolm butler)

2. Kirk Cousins and #17

3. AJ MCCARRON, #9, 1st next year. 2nd this year and next

4. #5, #18 & a 2nd next year

This is ridiculous. The price to trade up from 11 to 2 this year may just be a 2nd round pick considering how flat the talent is in this range after Garrett is off the board and how deep the draft is in the first 3 rounds.

So we'd be essentially giving up a 2nd round pick (or late first round pick) in moving from 2 to 11, but getting a future 2nd round pick in return for Jimmy Garopollo when the Patriots reportedly want a 1st round pick and then some.

Malcolm Butler isn't worth the Saints giving up their #11 pick to the Patriots on the front end of that trade and the Patriots aren't then going to trade us the #11 pick and a future 2nd round pick and Jimmy Garopollo for the #2 pick. This trade only benefits the 49ers.
Share 49ersWebzone