LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 151 users in the forums

2011 Oakland A's Thread

Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by TheGoldenState:

Ill say the same thing I say to Dodgers fans. Last time you guys won it, everyone had mullets and mustaches. 21 years is a LOOOONG time ago.

in the mean time, the Giants have 2 pennants, 1 WS trophy, and more World Series game wins in the last 10 years than any other team with 7.

ive come to not like the A's much because a friend of mine is so "holier than thou" about the A's and the way they do everything from a statistical standpoint, etc. how their farm system is so high class and smart...

However, i do feel bad for the A's fanbase. they dont treat you right anymore. they operate like the Expos used to. develop great players, and trade them away before payday comes for more prospects. repeat cycle. theyre perennially rebuilding, and then theyll sign some over the hill veteran to play DH so they arent 100% 22 year old kids. Frank Thomas, Jason Giambi, Hideki Matsui, etc.

you guys deserve better than that. Billy Beane hasnt been making those same brilliant moves the last few years. the Mark Mulder trade was his last brilliant move. its like now that everyone has read moneyball and figured out that whole strategy, the league has adjusted to him and he doesnt have the upperhand. he used to pick pocket people left and right.

How you took this picture as an attack on the Giants is beyond me. No need to gloat about your playoff success, all A's fans are well aware. Although the attitude is understandable, I'd probably act the same way if the A's had just won the world series.

And I don't really want your pity. I'm well aware of the A's s**tty situation. It really sucks to be eating the scraps that San Francisco and MLB throws our way.

I hate the Giants. I'll fully admit that it's out of jealousy. I'm jealous of your beautiful stadium. I'm jealous of all the media attention you get, while the A's get nothing. I'm jealous of the fan support. I'm bitter about being the ugly step-sister. If the A's were allowed to move to San Jose and could get some attention and some freaking respect and were able to keep their star players, and actually be able to attract top rate free agents I would have no problem with the Giants.

In fact I'd have mutual respect and appreciation for you guys, and while not being as excited about your accomplishments as you guys would, obviously, I'd be happy that the West coast is being represented well by two successful franchises. The Bay Area is big enough to support two teams successfully, but right now that isn't happening. Any "holier than thou" attitude you've experienced from A's fans is likely as a result of being shat on for years and years.

And just fyi, Moneyball is a work of fiction that was not commissioned by Billy Beane. Moneyball is in fact a misrepresentation of the actual strategy. The strategy is basically to find and exploit undervalued markets, and at that time it was OBP and statistics. Now they've moved on to trying out some different strategies. Not saying Billy Beane's perfect by any means, he's made quite a few mistakes recently (*cough*Carlos Gonazlez *coughcough*.)

And also the Haren trade was his last brilliant move: Carlos Gonzalez, Brett Anderson, Chris Carter and a few other pieces that gave the A's a bit of value. That's a pretty good haul.

P.S. Frank Thomas worked out really well for us in 2006.

[ Edited by AllTimeGreat on Mar 17, 2011 at 13:04:20 ]

Ill say the same thing I say to Dodgers fans. Last time you guys won it, everyone had mullets and mustaches. 21 years is a LOOOONG time ago.

in the mean time, the Giants have 2 pennants, 1 WS trophy, and more World Series game wins in the last 10 years than any other team with 7.

ive come to not like the A's much because a friend of mine is so "holier than thou" about the A's and the way they do everything from a statistical standpoint, etc. how their farm system is so high class and smart...

However, i do feel bad for the A's fanbase. they dont treat you right anymore. they operate like the Expos used to. develop great players, and trade them away before payday comes for more prospects. repeat cycle. theyre perennially rebuilding, and then theyll sign some over the hill veteran to play DH so they arent 100% 22 year old kids. Frank Thomas, Jason Giambi, Hideki Matsui, etc.

you guys deserve better than that. Billy Beane hasnt been making those same brilliant moves the last few years. the Mark Mulder trade was his last brilliant move. its like now that everyone has read moneyball and figured out that whole strategy, the league has adjusted to him and he doesnt have the upperhand. he used to pick pocket people left and right.

k
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:

How you took this picture as an attack on the Giants is beyond me. No need to gloat about your playoff success, all A's fans are well aware. Although the attitude is understandable, I'd probably act the same way if the A's had just won the world series.

And I don't really want your pity. I'm well aware of the A's s**tty situation. It really sucks to be eating the scraps that San Francisco and MLB throws our way.

I hate the Giants. I'll fully admit that it's out of jealousy. I'm jealous of your beautiful stadium. I'm jealous of all the media attention you get, while the A's get nothing. I'm jealous of the fan support. I'm bitter about being the ugly step-sister. If the A's were allowed to move to San Jose and could get some attention and some freaking respect and were able to keep their star players, and actually be able to attract top rate free agents I would have no problem with the Giants.

In fact I'd have mutual respect and appreciation for you guys, and while not being as excited about your accomplishments as you guys would, obviously, I'd be happy that the West coast is being represented well by two successful franchises. The Bay Area is big enough to support two teams successfully, but right now that isn't happening. Any "holier than thou" attitude you've experienced from A's fans is likely as a result of being shat on for years and years.

And just fyi, Moneyball is a work of fiction that was not commissioned by Billy Beane. Moneyball is in fact a misrepresentation of the actual strategy. The strategy is basically to find and exploit undervalued markets, and at that time it was OBP and statistics. Now they've moved on to trying out some different strategies. Not saying Billy Beane's perfect by any means, he's made quite a few mistakes recently (*cough*Carlos Gonazlez *coughcough*.)

And also the Haren trade was his last brilliant move: Carlos Gonzalez, Brett Anderson, Chris Carter and a few other pieces that gave the A's a bit of value. That's a pretty good haul.

P.S. Frank Thomas worked out really well for us in 2006.

lol whoa there, i wasnt gloating. someone posted a pic of the Giants winning the WS, and then right after someone posted a pic of the A's winning the WS against the Giants, so i thought it was a comeback response. i was just making some points.

my friend feels the same way you do, but he is more naive. he defends the A's strategies like crazy, even now. he'll never admit to a bad move. he justifies it somehow. lol ive gotten the moneyball lecture from him before as well.

to turn the tables a bit, its understandable that the A's fans have gotten a raw deal the last 20 years overall, but you guys were title winning machines for decades. obviously all this generation of fans didnt get to experience it, but still.

I do hope you guys get a new stadium somewhere, but i cant say i support the SJ move. The vast majority of the Giants fanbase lives in the south bay. i was born and raised in SJ, and it just wouldnt be right to have the A's playing right in the middle of heavy, heavy Giants town. long term people growing up in SJ may start to develop A's allegiance instead of Giants, which is why the Giants are protecting their territory.

I wish the sports fans up here in Sac werent so lame, otherwise wed love to have them move up here. id get a chance to go to some major league games without driving all the way to SF, and the A's would remain in northern CA but not up in the Giants part of town. sadly, fans up here cant even support the Kings. these fans deserve to lose their team. major league baseball is out of the question for this market. if we lose our NBA team, there no way we get baseball franchise.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

in the mean time, the Giants have 2 pennants, 1 WS trophy, and more World Series game wins in the last 10 years than any other team with 7. ive come to not like the A's much because a friend of mine is so "holier than thou" about the A's and the way they do everything from a statistical standpoint, etc. how their farm system is so high class and smart...

you guys deserve better than that. Billy Beane hasnt been making those same brilliant moves the last few years. the Mark Mulder trade was his last brilliant move. its like now that everyone has read moneyball and figured out that whole strategy, the league has adjusted to him and he doesnt have the upperhand. he used to pick pocket people
left and right.

Once again you aren't accurate unless the Boston RedSox had their 8 wins and 2 WS titles taken away and I was unaware of it.

I meant NL team. oops...

[ Edited by Niners99 on Mar 19, 2011 at 00:37:38 ]
I think it's a safe assumption that Bobby Cramer won't be our 5th starter.
Just saw an A's commercial on oaklandathletics.com lol i love those

one of my favorites

[ Edited by TheGoldenState on Mar 19, 2011 at 10:27:06 ]
10 more days!!

[ Edited by TheGoldenState on Mar 20, 2011 at 11:14:19 ]
Godzilla has struggled throughout ST. Hopefully, he gets in together within the next week or so.
Originally posted by Jigga:
Godzilla has struggled throughout ST. Hopefully, he gets in together within the next week or so.

I'm sure he will... He's a professional and knows how to play the game. Let's get it goin!

one of my favorites

A while back when Eric Chavez was taking ground balls with his gold glove was classic!

Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:

one of my favorites

A while back when Eric Chavez was taking ground balls with his gold glove was classic!

lol i remember that one

have you guys ever seen this? lol

Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:

one of my favorites

lol i remember that one

have you guys ever seen this? lol

there is no way that was a commercial but still pretty funny.
lol it wasnt

its an awesome video though
btw, Cahill named opening day starter
Hopefully they make it to the playoffs this year! I will probably every Friday game I can get wit hthe family 4-pack. At least A's tickets are still cheap like a baseball game should be!
Share 49ersWebzone