LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

2011 Oakland A's Thread

Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by crzy:
Quesiton.

IF the A's move to San Jose, are you guys going to continue to be A's fans?

Cause I know a couple Oakland A's fans who wouldn't.

I couldn't root for the Giants so yes.

so many A's fans have this thing against the Giants for whatever reason. yet without the Giants permission, the A's may not stay in the bay area.

i say move them up here to Sacramento, even though we suck at supporting the Kings as it is. but i sure would love to have a major league team just a short drive away.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by socalfan21:
Ethier, Cargo, now Brett Wallace

Billy Beane has totally lost it when it comes to evaluating hitters.

God bless our budget and having to make these choices on who stays and goes...

that's a cop-out blaming it on the budget.

All these guys were pre-arbitration when they were traded away, the A's could have afforded to keep them.

Beane just thought Michael Taylor was better than Wallace.

All these guys were pre-arbitration when they were traded away, the A's could have afforded to keep them.

He's not the only one. He struggled early on converting to wood bats and a lot of teams gave up on him (at least that was the rumor).

However, I do agree that Beane is losing his touch. He trades simply to do so sometimes, and the league is already upset that the A's don't seem to be putting in the money or effort to field a winning team.

How is that a cop out? If we never had to worry about money we wouldn't have to trade prospects to get these average players

How is that a cop out? If we never had to worry about money we wouldn't have to trade prospects to get these average players

what does trading prospects have to do with saving money?

prospects are how you save money...
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:

you save money by trading the prospects away before the turn into stars and hit payday. perpetually having prospects does no good to your major league success. the A's could have the best farm system in the majors by a mile, and it wouldnt do them any good unless they kept these guys and paid them to stay a while.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Niners99:
you save money by trading the prospects away before the turn into stars and hit payday. perpetually having prospects does no good to your major league success. the A's could have the best farm system in the majors by a mile, and it wouldnt do them any good unless they kept these guys and paid them to stay a while.

Everyone knows about the A's financial restrictions, but their current problem is not retaining their talent. Their current problem is the failure to develop any real offensive talent in the past half decade.

Not to mention, the A's have very smartly locked up their aces. The A's have locked up Cahill until 2017, Brett Anderson until 2015. Gio is not a free agent until 2016. Their problems are not financial at all. Their problems are scouting and developing offense.

They don't even have a single hitter good enough to worry about that player leaving for free agency.

[ Edited by crzy on May 1, 2011 at 14:02:03 ]
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
If we never had to worry about money we wouldn't have to trade prospects to get these average players

I think you are confused.
Originally posted by Niners99:

And what do you think you trade prospects away FOR once they turn into stars? More prospects. Either that or lock them up long-term cheap.

Having prospects means you get a guy for 3 years at the league minimum if you do things right, that goes a long way toward saving you money.
Fuentes just throws so... weird.
Coco Crisp has the best hair in the bay, hands down.

[ Edited by DertyDonahue on May 1, 2011 at 16:14:41 ]

Originally posted by TheGoldenState:
Quesiton.

IF the A's move to San Jose, are you guys going to continue to be A's fans?

Cause I know a couple Oakland A's fans who wouldn't.

I definitely would still be a fan

i'd be pumped if any baseball, basketball, or football team moved to san jose. we only have soccer and hockey. i guess arena football and high A-ball with the SJ Giants. we have sjsu... but san jose deserves to have a real, major sports team here. any major team moves here and i am a fan.
If we never had to worry about money we wouldn't have to trade prospects to get these average players

Definitely not niners99 hit it spot on. Go worry about your own team.

who trades away a prospect for average players? after prospects develop into good players, you trade them for more specs...

who trades away a prospect for average players? after prospects develop into good players, you trade them for more specs...

Andre Either for Milton Bradley... Average player who was injury prone. Want other examples?
We made desperate moves to keep our great run a couple of years back and we thought we could keep the fire going or start something else by obtaining guys we couldn't sign in free agency by renting them for a year then letting them walk while not giving them a proper amount of time to gel with teammates. To get these guys via trade we have to give up our best prospects... Ruins the future of what could have been.

[ Edited by socalfan21 on May 1, 2011 at 17:02:18 ]
Share 49ersWebzone