There are 191 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
So here's PFT's latest trying to defend their story from yesterday:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/21/mort-confirms-substance-of-our-harbaugh-report/

Here's how I see it and I think everyone can agree that these two things happened: 1. Cleveland inquired into some type of trade for Harbaugh and 2. The 49ers declined. Now there are a lot of things that could have gone on in between the 49ers seriously considering the deal and them politely laughing in Cleveland's face. Here are the top 10 things that make me think this is being blown WAY out of proportion from the reality of what went on:

1. If such a deal was so "close" as has been reported, what was the compensation? For something to be seriously considered, why has no one said, "the Browns offered the 49eres these picks: X"?

2. Just because one side is serious (ie. Cleveland), it doesn't mean that both teams were serious. I mean, if two people date for a year and the guy asks the girl to marry him, you can say they were a serious couple (whether she laughs in his face or not).

3. The most glaring question is "Why?". Why would the 49ers, who had spent a decade as an after-thought, trade away the hottest coach in the NFL for draft picks? Would 2 first rounders have been enough? 3? The compensations would have had to have been monstrous, which leads to #4.

4. Why would Cleveland do it? If they were legitimately serious, they would have had to give away SO much equity that it seems like it just would have been foolish. This is a team that is seriously strapped for talent (aside from a great WR and a few really good DBs). They have no QB, no real running game, a OL that in mediocre at best, and a fairly pedestrian defense. So the answer to their problems is giving away a ton of draft capital for a great coach?

5. Extending #3...would the 49ers really think that this would be well-received by the fan base? Now most non-49ers fans are annoyed by Harbaugh and think he's a kook, but whether they admit it or not, 90% of other team's fans would take Harbaugh over what they got any day. The backlash would not have been good for the team - especially when they're in the middle of a stadium build-out and are trying to sell out season tickets?

6. More extension of #3...the players on the 49ers love Harbaugh. The team has rebounded into one of the elite clubs in the NFL that will be an attractive destination for FAs in the future. Would a move like this be well-received by the players? With a BUNCH of impending FAs over the next two seasons, it doesn't exactly make for a stabile environment for the 49ers to ditch their coach. I think players would be very weary about signing/re-signing with a team that does something as radical as this.

7. Timing. Things get leaked at the Combine all the time, because it's a bunch of dudes who don't see each other all year and then get together, go boozing and start trying to strategize for the following season. Someone had an agenda in this thing and the most likely culprit is Cleveland (as their coaching search was a qualified laughing-stock). I agree with multiple reports that this type of leakage makes their search seem more legitimate.

8. More on timing. The only other camp that could have leaked this would have been Harbaugh's to gain leverage in the contract negotiations. That said, it seems odd that a guy who took less money from us than to go to Miami and could have received more than double his salary if he went to Texas this year, would leak this story. Not saying impossible, just seems unlikely.

9. PFT. I admit, I read them all the time, and enjoy their stuff for the most part. However, a lot of what comes out of that site is Mike Florios's "2 cents". The guy is a lawyer and likes to hear himself talk (or write). He is not a journalist and his bar for "breaking a story" is several rungs lower than it should be. As long as he is sure he is legally protected and is not slandering someone, then he pretty much has no problem putting pen to paper and reporting stuff.

10. Going back to the link posted above, yesterday Florio is basically calling the 49ers liars and saying whoever was denying the story is lying or is uninformed. Today, Florio is defending the "substance" of his story. Basically he is trying to save face and all but admitting this was not nearly the bombshell that he thought it was going to be.

Maybe I'm wrong and we're on the brink of disaster and letting Harbaugh get away. But I don't think I am.
Bottom line if Harbaugh wanted to be around he would have signed a contract extension long ago.....
Originally posted by Hopper:
Schefty now confirming discussions for compensation did take place. Come on Jed

Confirming with who? The Cleveland guy said "you could count on one hand the amount of people in the Browns organization who knew about this."

So where are all these sources coming from? Or is it more likely that the same source is being contacted over and over?
Originally posted by Louisiana49er:
Bottom line if Harbaugh wanted t

o be around he would have signed a contract extension long ago.....

When? Like back in 2011? He has two years remaining on his deal, people need to stop spazzing.
Originally posted by Hopper:
Schefty now confirming discussions for compensation did take place. Come on Jed

You realize conversation about compensation could amount to one call where the Niners said one billion dollars and your next ten first rounders right? I mean that,is about as vaguely saying something without actual saying anything as you can possibly manage. It is fair to assume all the guys are trying to self promote by getting the "scoop" at this point...but all of them lack even the slightest details to make themselves credible....I am sure the Browns did call...and two days later they hired somebody else...how serious do you think it really got?
Ree-diculous
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Feb 22, 2014 at 7:36 AM ]
Originally posted by Louisiana49er:
Bottom line if Harbaugh wanted to be around he would have signed a contract extension long ago.....

lol what? dude has 2 years left on his deal. plenty of time to reach an agreement lol
I can't believe how stupid and gullible some fans are.
Im sure the Browns ask about Harbaugh's availability but I think there's nothing to it, I mean Texas tried but failed. According to PFT " Harbaugh was the one that turned it down " so if it did happen, it's not like the 49ers was doing it behind his back because they gave him an option. Then again we all wont know what really happen between the two teams, even if every writers plays that Private Investigator role or ask their " Source " we all still wont know who's telling the truth. To me PFT was taking advantage of the whole combine thing and used it as a spotlight, but for sure PFT will blow this up like a time bomb.
There is probably some truth to it...Browns probably inquired, Baalke/Jed entertained the notion and Harbaugh and his agent used the Browns as leverage for a LT contract extension with us which is what Harbaugh has wanted all along; and not just about the $ but about "power." The media is usually "used" in situations for leverage and image. In this case, it was "leaked" to ensure the Browns fans that their FO tried every option to get the coach they wanted, Harbaugh can drive up the price and as a result, we can deny everything and it will all be a moot point in the end...when Harbaugh signs his 6-7M a year coaching deal for the next 3-4 years with more power awarded to him.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 22, 2014 at 8:10 AM ]

As far as I'm concerned, Florio should be treated like any other dirty word on this site. Look at the photos he's used in these repeated articles about Harbaugh. Did he punch out Florio along with Jim Kelly back in the day:?

What kind of team fires their GM and Team President two weeks after they hire a new head coach?

Also, the Browns hired their head coach four days after we lost to the Seahawks. We may not ever know whether it was just an offer, or if the 49ers shot it down, or if Harbaugh shot it down, or if Mrs Harbaugh shot it down but we do know whatever was going on it occurred during our playoff run. That pisses me off the most.
Hate to say it but report to me is true. I trust Chris Mortensen and he says its 100% true. I think JH and Baalke really don't like each other.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Hate to say it but report to me is true. I trust Chris Mortensen and he says its 100% true. I think JH and Baalke really don't like each other.

Shocking coming from you. Another susweel and SanDiego clone.
and I see the webzone is still in denial for some reason. Why cant yall just accept this happened lol.
[ Edited by xela510 on Feb 22, 2014 at 8:54 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone