There are 160 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by dj43:
Then why has he been used in a completely different way than he was at Oregon? The reports were that James was a poor man's Darren Sproles but has never been used at all like Sproles.

Sorry. I don't buy the idea that Harbaugh really wanted him. If he did, he didn't pay much attention to scouting reports and game film. I believe this was a Baalke pick, not a Harbaugh pick.

I've said this before, it could be Rathman holding LMJ back. It's plausible that Harbs wanted LMJ but once in the pros, he hasn't come along well. If the RB coach is trusted, and LMJ isn't "good"...Harbs may be going off of Rathmans suggestion to not play him.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Then why has he been used in a completely different way than he was at Oregon? The reports were that James was a poor man's Darren Sproles but has never been used at all like Sproles.

Sorry. I don't buy the idea that Harbaugh really wanted him. If he did, he didn't pay much attention to scouting reports and game film. I believe this was a Baalke pick, not a Harbaugh pick.

Why not James developed the talent and adjusted to Oregons scheme and destroyed harbaughs stanford team (part of the reason he wanted him) he was also probably the best player left in the draft, if James could adjust to Oregons scheme Harbaugh could have believed he could adjust to ours also.

James didn't adjust to anything at Oregon. He played a in a spread offense in high school. All he had to adjust to was the pace and the stupid flash cards with pictures for play calls.
Originally posted by jreff22:

I've said this before, it could be Rathman holding LMJ back. It's plausible that Harbs wanted LMJ but once in the pros, he hasn't come along well. If the RB coach is trusted, and LMJ isn't "good"...Harbs may be going off of Rathmans suggestion to not play him.

No no no Rathman would never do that its all Harbaugh.
Originally posted by sfout:

Why not James developed the talent and adjusted to Oregons scheme and destroyed harbaughs stanford team (part of the reason he wanted him) he was also probably the best player left in the draft, if James could adjust to Oregons scheme Harbaugh could have believed he could adjust to ours also.

James didn't adjust to anything at Oregon. He played a in a spread offense in high school. All he had to adjust to was the pace and the stupid flash cards with pictures for play calls.

So LMJ went to Oregon and instantly adjusted to the playbook and pace?! Didnt know about his high school career thanks for the info.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Hi-5 to Jed for Twitter pwnage of Florio.
  • sfout
  • Veteran

So LMJ went to Oregon and instantly adjusted to the playbook and pace?! Didnt know about his high school career thanks for the info.

Playing a scheme rooted in the same basic concepts leaves minimal adjustments to be made. Outside of terminology and pace, James played a spread offense for 7 years.

My point is that the jump to pros was far greater than the jump from high school to college.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
If it comes down to it do you think Jed keeps Harbs and gives him GM power while letting Baalke go. Or does he pick Baalke over Harbaugh? I would go with Harbaugh.
  • dj43

A good coach takes a player's strengths and adds them to the offense. A poor coach forces a good player to adjust to the offense that already exists. In this case, Harbaugh/Roman have repeatedly tried to run James between the tackles, essentially the same plays that Gore runs. They are two VERY different players. James has speed and elusiveness. Get him on the outside, throw him swing passes and wheel routes. Let him use his gifts.

At this point, James is a totally wasted pick. We could have had a return guy with a 5th round pick. We didn't have to use a second on such a limited player.

Playing a scheme rooted in the same basic concepts leaves minimal adjustments to be made. Outside of terminology and pace, James played a spread offense for 7 years.

My point is that the jump to pros was far greater than the jump from high school to college.

Oh I agree 100%
I'd love to say this is bs and nothing to be concerned about, but remember the whole Peyton Manning debacle. Where there's smoke there's fire and until Harbaugh is locked up long term I'm going to be sweating this one out.

I would think during combine week we could get some real 49ers news rather than some ole b*******
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I'd love to say this is bs and nothing to be concerned about, but remember the whole Peyton Manning debacle. Where there's smoke there's fire and until Harbaugh is locked up long term I'm going to be sweating this one out.

Man he still got two years with us! Two years!
  • dj43
Originally posted by jreff22:

If that is the case, then Rathman/Harbaugh are basically telling Baalke he doesn't know what he is looking at when he sees college game film...all of which feeds the reports that Baalke and Harbaugh don't see eye-to-eye on some key things and have explored "alternatives."
  • pd24
  • Veteran

LMJ is a baby. Who cares how much he plays. He was 3rd on the depth chart so how much PT can you give him? He played when Hunter got hurt and fumbled on an early drive in tje SB.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Man he still got two years with us! Two years!

Not necessarily. Michigan could open up next year. Unfortunately for us he's not going to have any problems getting what he wants.
Share 49ersWebzone