LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 279 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
They're already trying to walk it back a little, making it seem like the Browns chased but came up short.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/21/three-super-bowl-champions-have-surrendered-no-1-picks-for-coaches/
Originally posted by crake49:
Yeah, Florio has some kind of thing for the Niners that's hard for him to hide. I can't think of a sports journalist (and I use the term very loosely) that seems more biased against the team than him.

that's why the niners weren't on sunday night football all those years (2006-2010)....not cos they sucked, but cos of florio
Originally posted by Marvin49:
There are threads of truth in most of these stories, but the media exploits the hell out of the story and reports this like "it almost happened".

I don't believe that for a second.

Is it likely the Browns inquired? Sure. Does that mean the 49ers were trying to dump Harbaugh? Not even close. More likely the Browns inquired, the 49er braught it to Jim and he said he wanted to stay. End of story.

This is the most realistic possibility. The Browns offered something and the 49ers told Jim and he said no thank you. Doesn't mean the 49ers were considering it all, they just brought it to his attention. But of course the media blows this way out of proportion.
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Feb 21, 2014 at 3:34 PM ]
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
that's why the niners weren't on sunday night football all those years (2006-2010)....not cos they sucked, but cos of florio

Exactly! It's a conspiracy that goes to the very depth of the chapter of the Illuminati that runs the NFL!!
I find this flattering, s**tty teams want 'our' coach. Harbaugh was ours the moment he left Stanford (put all conjecture out the window), and people have been vying for him, cause he's good. -It might be rough now, but this guy could be going out with 3 Trophies, possibly two with us, and one with another team when all is said and done.
I'm beginning to think this will come down to Baalke or Harbaugh. Which if I was Jed I'd hand Baalke his walking papers ASAP.
There are threads of truth in most of these stories, but the media exploits the hell out of the story and reports this like "it almost happened".

Is it likely the Browns inquired? Sure. Does that mean the 49ers were trying to dump Harbaugh? Not even close. More likely the Browns inquired, the 49er braught it to Jim and he said he wanted to stay. End of story.

There is no way that anyone connected with the 49ers with the power to entertain such a notion would consider it for more than about 2 seconds before he said "Uhhh, no, goodbye". Some draft picks for the coach that un-fkd this team and guided them to a SB and three straight NFCCG's? Jed York doesn't strike me as being colossally stupid, which is what he'd have to be to seriously consider this, let alone actually do it.

The ONLY way I can see something like this being even remotely true would be if something happened during extension talks that REALLY rubbed either Harbaugh or the 49ers very much the wrong way and got one side or the other thinking about divorce.
Originally posted by xela510:
I think people who are doubting this are just in denial. These stories arent just made up out of thin air for no reason. There is a legit reason this was made a story.

My guess would be that Jim and Trent probably thought they couldnt work together and Harbaugh wanted out but got cold feet and decided to stay. Thats just my speculation.

The thing is PFT might be telling the truth about what their "sources" told them but the "sources" themselves might be the liars.

I mean the entire draft process is filled with 'sources" that leak misinformation about what their team is going to do in the draft so it's not unheard of false information being leaked if it benefits the source.

Even if the 9ers deny it there is still no way of knowing if they are telling the truth or not because the rationale is going to be "of course they are going to deny it"

It's almost like the old question of "Have you stopped beating your wife?" leaving the 9ers screwed no matter what they do.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

This is the most realistic possibility. The Browns offered something and the 49ers told Jim and he said no thank you. Doesn't mean the 49ers were considering it all, they just brought it to his attention. But of course the media blows this way out of proportion.

Baalke is all about leverage in negotiations AND respecting those involved.

This is likely what happened as Marvin and Donnie have said.

Baalke probably got the call, told Harbaugh like "You know we're trying to get your contract hammered out but if you aren't confident we'll get it figured out there is a way you can move on. Cleveland just offered us "Insert picks, players, etc here" for your remaining contract. What do you think?"

Jim said "No thanks. I'm here, we'll get it figured out."

Baalke called back the Browns and "no thanks. we're good over here".

end of story until.....

Michael Lombardi and Joe Banner get fired. Then the floodgates open.

This too. If it was true like someone said was probably just them saying oh we would give up this for Harbaugh and the 9ers said no and Harbaugh wasn't intersted either. They then turn that into 49ers nearly trade Harbaugh to Browns. Maybe it was closer than that maybe it wasn't. Same with the story about how Gore was angry with Harbaugh after the loss to the Colts. They said he had a few choice words for coach. Maybe that was Frank going up to coach saying I want the ball more, feed me the ball, why did you go away from me in the 2nd half? Of course that could be turned into Frank Gore irate with coach, wants off team (if they wanted it to be that). Same with the Harbaugh and Baalke tension story. Maybe it's just them disagreeing which all HCs/GM's do and maybe there really is tension. I highly doubt it's that bad but even a little disagreement with today's media can turn into Harbaugh and Baalke hate each other, one has to go. Whatever gets more clicks, they blow a lot of things out of proportion.

So in a way they showed harbaugh respect by presenting the offer that the browns presenting to them? How much say would harbaugh have? Just questions
Originally posted by Jikkle49:
Originally posted by xela510:
I think people who are doubting this are just in denial. These stories arent just made up out of thin air for no reason. There is a legit reason this was made a story.

My guess would be that Jim and Trent probably thought they couldnt work together and Harbaugh wanted out but got cold feet and decided to stay. Thats just my speculation.

The thing is PFT might be telling the truth about what their "sources" told them but the "sources" themselves might be the liars.

I mean the entire draft process is filled with 'sources" that leak misinformation about what their team is going to do in the draft so it's not unheard of false information being leaked if it benefits the source.

Even if the 9ers deny it there is still no way of knowing if they are telling the truth or not because the rationale is going to be "of course they are going to deny it"

It's almost like the old question of "Have you stopped beating your wife?" leaving the 9ers screwed no matter what they do.

Could be a story Lombardi leaked to make the Browns look stupid and bumbling. Fired employees can be "quite nasty," as the English would say.
This guy says HARBAUGH initiated talks with Cleveland.

I think its BS, but even if that's true....tampering?

https://twitter.com/LullOnSports
I have a hard time believing our front office is that stupid.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
This guy says HARBAUGH initiated talks with Cleveland.

I think its BS, but even if that's true....tampering?

https://twitter.com/LullOnSports

lol that makes it look even worse for PFT. So a radio DJ who has no direct relationship with the Browns could be one of his"unnamed sources". Guy could just be looking for his 15 minutes of fame / ratings boost heading into the draft. Calls up PFT like "Hey guess what my buddy who works as ticket sales for the Browns told me he heard Lombardi talk about the 9ers about Harbaugh. Report on it and we can both run with it going into the combine."

like "Hey on Monday we've got the latest Browns draft rumors and the scoop on the Harbaugh-Browns fiasco....Tune at at 10AM for the it all".....SMH.
[ Edited by sfout on Feb 21, 2014 at 3:46 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone