There are 235 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Remember when Dennis Erickson, Mike Nolan, and Mike Singletary were our Head coaches?

harbaugh has been awesome. my one complaint is the developing of young guys. i'd like to see us more comfy with putting them out there and living with the results.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Remember when Dennis Erickson, Mike Nolan, and Mike Singletary were our Head coaches?

harbaugh has been awesome. my one complaint is the developing of young guys. i'd like to see us more comfy with putting them out there and living with the results.

The only credit I give Nolan is him drafting the key pieces of the defense and signing Justin Smith. With Singletary......for setting Vernon Davis on the right path.

Maybe a tad more aggressive. For example, Asomugha made the team over Marcus Cooper. Asomugha was cut and a non-factor after a few weeks. Cooper had a great year for Kansas City. That one hurts.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Carroll is a champ, nuff said

Harbaugh is playing catch up from this point forth

It's a moot point, NFC West rivalry-wise you can say that, but Carroll has been in the coaching paradigm longer, and has coached longer than Harbaugh. Pete has also endured more disaster/controversy throughout the earliest parts of his career (destroying the Patriots, cheating at USC, first coach with a 7-9 winning record in the NFL) before even reaching what he had accomplished last night, and his ceiling is questionable seeing that he's pushing his mid-60s.

Harbaugh on the other hand has seen vapid success, from barely coaching a long tenure in the college ranks (turning around Stanford), to three straight NFC Championship appearances. Sure you can't count your eggs/load the basket, but it's hard not to fathom Jim eventually having more Championships than Pete in the NFL (whether he gets them with SF or another team later on).

Carroll wins the battle, but I doubt he wins the war by the end of it.
Harbaugh is a big reason the 49ers were in 3 NFCCGs. I know that the Eagles (last decade) were constantly in the run to make the SB, but it never happened as expected. When it eventually happened, they lost to the Patriots.
Nothing is a gaurantee, and you just have to keep trying...and trying. Hopefully, one day, all the pieces fall in place.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

i really think it is ok to be critical of JH and not have to have those three thrown back in our face every time. those three have NOTHING to do with any legit criticism many of us feel it appropriate to level at JH or any of his coaches
  • dj43
Originally posted by theduke85:
People put too much stock in Harbaught "not being able to win the big game." Appearing in 3 NFC Championships in a row means way more than not winning any Super Bowls during those three trips. Being consistently competitive and appearing in the NFCCG like that is rare. It doesn't happen very often int today's NFL. That is a much greater testament to his abilities than the 49ers narrowly-losing in their last game of the past three seasons.

Football is a game of inches, and often-times you need breaks to go your way to win (for example: realistically, the Ravens should've lost to Denver last year, but took the game to overtime on a fluke hail mary at the end of the game).

When you have the second best roster in the league all three years you SHOULD make it to the CG. Making it that far is what any good coach SHOULD do. That was nothing special. It SHOULD have been expected.
  • dj43

That is mine as well.

The greatest measure of a coach is how well they can teach the game to young players. Any half way decent coach can take a loaded roster and win more than they lose. A truly awesome coach will turn those green rookies into quality players. Harbaugh has yet to show that ability in the pros. Nowhere has that been more evident than with WRs and the slow development of the passing skills of Kaepernick.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

Still wears the same pants

Originally posted by dj43:
When you have the second best roster in the league all three years you SHOULD make it to the CG. Making it that far is what any good coach SHOULD do. That was nothing special. It SHOULD have been expected.

Coaching matters just as much if not more than any player or roster piece. We know that based on having experienced those three referenced earlier. The turnaround under Jim has been immediate. What he has done is special. We just want a few more yards and a couple more points!
That is mine as well.

The greatest measure of a coach is how well they can teach the game to young players. Any half way decent coach can take a loaded roster and win more than they lose. A truly awesome coach will turn those green rookies into quality players. Harbaugh has yet to show that ability in the pros. Nowhere has that been more evident than with WRs and the slow development of the passing skills of Kaepernick.

Turned Alex around
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
That is mine as well.

Turned Alex around

How instrumental he was in turning around Alex Smith is debatable. Not only is it arguable that he was being held back by the inferior coaching staff but he was clearly arrow up before Harbaugh.
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
How instrumental he was in turning around Alex Smith is debatable. Not only is it arguable that he was being held back by the inferior coaching staff but he was clearly arrow up before Harbaugh.

Yeah. We want Carr and no one wants this guy right before the lockout and then in comes Harbaugh and Alex goes on to win 14 games in 2011 including his first playoff game. Then spring 2013 we trade him to KC for two...I repeat...two 2nd round picks. So yea...I would say he helped turn him around. We want Carr? LOL!

And let us not forget the rapid success we've had with Kap...a pistol offense college gimmick QB that was supposed to be a two to three year project before seeing the field
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Feb 3, 2014 at 4:42 PM ]
Let's just fire this loser already and bring in Billick, we'd have at least 8 trophies by now, and Christian Ponder would be MVP.
Share 49ersWebzone