LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
I think the problem here is with Roman. Without the pistol or play option he doesn't have a clue of what to call. He is not sure what to call next and that is clear because the plays are coming in late every time. On the Bronco's first game of the season there was comments made about how fast they get the plays into Manning. The minute the whistle blew the ball dead on a play the OC was already calling in the next play to Manning. They said sometimes the OC would have to wait for the mike to be turned on before he could get the play out to Payton, leaving him plenty of time to see what the defense is doing before a play. This has been a problem ever since Roman has been here and it needs to be fix if they expect Kaep to have time to read the defense before a play. That is also the reason they have to call time outs so early in the game.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I am not pleased to say this, but between Joe and Steve, how many times were they responding to fans on twitter, or making commercials or signing money autographs like crazy. Hey , they weren't(until much, much later in their careers). 4ML is spot on about kap spending more time in the film room instead of on twitter. And as far as the espn magazine cover goes, I bet joe and steve just puked. They NEVER would have done that because they were all football all the time. Kap definitely has his priorities switched from both these HOF QBs. Result, kap won't even be able to carry joe's jockstrap...if he's lucky. Kap and his extracurricular activities are his own worst enemy. He is carrying on as if he WON the last two SBs, and all he did is help get to one and almost get to the other. Somebody needs to alert this young man you don't celebrate before you make history. He came damn close, but no cigar. Joe and steve would have answered with MORE time in film room and more time on the field with all receivers. Not kap, he is answering comments on twitter, posing, signing..hell....everything BUT football. Until he decides if he wants to be a teenie rock star or a great NFL Qb, we are basically screwed. A really good coach would already have had this conversation, improper as it may be with today's social mores.

The problem is kap is not that good, and as he found, he NEEDS to be able to throw and complete those 6-8 yarders when the DL tees off and the DBs drop 10 yds off the WRs...or TEs. Kap is pure crap at throwing that pass as noted above, and THAT is the one pass that it takes to win games like the 3 we lost. I put a huge majoritiy of Kap's shortcomings on Coach H, but in all fairness, I am sure I would not know how to handle a young superstar who has no bonafides either. I would establish that knowing the QB position is the most important thing in his life...both the reads, looks and the ability to make those 1-3 steppers....the 6-8 yarders that move the chains. We got us a kid as our leader, and he is ill trained to be one. Frankly he is terrible at that. He needs someone over him, who makes sure his primary goal is learning everything he can to help this team win.

Absent that, I would ask Kap to take his I phone and go elsewhere. If we don't get a Qb who buys in, who gives all, then we are just going to be as good as our lackadaisical QB...but no better. So I pin this both on Kap... and JH for failing to accomplish the above with kap. Now, JH has to accept that not making it to the SB again...and we won't...but with a team that should have been there...well, that has to weigh on him..JH has to take the reins and get his QB on the same page as everyone else.
Also, dumping roman is a first move. Keeping him here is just asking for more of the same. Roman doesn't get it. 10 Ws is fine by him...hell, it gets you rehired each yr in college...and that is all that guy is good for. NFL...roman...not for long...and you just burned your ticket.

Comments like this make me both laugh and groan at the same time. That guy you disparage took a week off from the Superbowl before he started training for next season. He spent the majority of the summer in training. According to Lockette, Kap would just randomly throw out plays to him as a test. According to almost every player on the team Kap is one of, if not the first people at the team facility every day even during the off-season. Kap was at work during the bye week to do "opportunity practices." The dude loves Twitter/IG but that's about the only extra-circular you hear about him doing during the season. He doesn't have a wife or a girl-friend it seems and he's allowed to take a break from work just like every other player in the world is allowed to do. He chooses to spend his free-time on Twitter, the key is free time. All those commercials and mag covers were shot during the off-season again during his free time. He chose to build his brand, but you acting like it was a choice between building a brand and studying football is just ridiculous. Do you think Joe/Steve never had personal time where they did things other than football? Or is Kap only allowed to spend his free-time in sanctioned by WebZone ways? You realize he has done charity activities over the summer, should he be stoned for those because they weren't football? He went to some 49er sponsored dinner should he have passed so that he could spend time in the film room?

At the end of the day you have no clue what Steve or Joe would have done because social media was not around then. And if his biggest crime during the season is that he spends too much time on Twitter during his free time rather than at clubs then whatever. I'll take the word of the men and media who deal with him everyday about what his work ethic is.

And it should be noted that according to ESPN stats not one of Kap's 11 passes yesterday went for more than 10 yds so....

Does Kap need to work on more things or different things, or refine those things...sure, but this myth that he is not working for the 49ers is just false.
After the Harbaugh presser. He was talking about not being able to go deeper in the playbook. Makes me wonder if losing VD and Celek both TE had something to do with it. Since the TE is usually the mainstay of Harbaugh's offense in terms of blocking and passing assignments and what not. Losing both guys limited them in calling some of the plays that the backup guy may not be familiar with contributing.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
After the Harbaugh presser. He was talking about not being able to go deeper in the playbook. Makes me wonder if losing VD and Celek both TE had something to do with it. Since the TE is usually the mainstay of Harbaugh's offense in terms of blocking and passing assignments and what not. Losing both guys limited them in calling some of the plays that the backup guy may not be familiar with contributing.

Go to the "What is the real problem with the pass offense" thread. somebody explained it incredibly well.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Actually no, this was stated by Harbs and Roman after our second straight loss. I'm not gonna go all in on Kaep, because he is just a kid and trying to mature into our Star QB, but this was troubling after week three. Even in that damn Cohn article he stated that they had to shorten the playbook for Kaep. If he was studying all summer, and the playbook was at his hip, why the need to dial the playbook back. And if this is the case, then it's more telling in regards to Kaep, than Roman and Harbs. Because it would mean that for whatever reason Kaep cant handle all the playbook. That would as a result, limit some of the plays called by Roman and Harbs. (now of course im just spit balling), but i dont think it's completely out of the realm to think this way after those comments about the playbook.
I am not pleased to say this, but between Joe and Steve, how many times were they responding to fans on twitter, or making commercials or signing money autographs like crazy. Hey , they weren't(until much, much later in their careers). 4ML is spot on about kap spending more time in the film room instead of on twitter. And as far as the espn magazine cover goes, I bet joe and steve just puked. They NEVER would have done that because they were all football all the time. Kap definitely has his priorities switched from both these HOF QBs. Result, kap won't even be able to carry joe's jockstrap...if he's lucky. Kap and his extracurricular activities are his own worst enemy. He is carrying on as if he WON the last two SBs, and all he did is help get to one and almost get to the other. Somebody needs to alert this young man you don't celebrate before you make history. He came damn close, but no cigar. Joe and steve would have answered with MORE time in film room and more time on the field with all receivers. Not kap, he is answering comments on twitter, posing, signing..hell....everything BUT football. Until he decides if he wants to be a teenie rock star or a great NFL Qb, we are basically screwed. A really good coach would already have had this conversation, improper as it may be with today's social mores.

The problem is kap is not that good, and as he found, he NEEDS to be able to throw and complete those 6-8 yarders when the DL tees off and the DBs drop 10 yds off the WRs...or TEs. Kap is pure crap at throwing that pass as noted above, and THAT is the one pass that it takes to win games like the 3 we lost. I put a huge majoritiy of Kap's shortcomings on Coach H, but in all fairness, I am sure I would not know how to handle a young superstar who has no bonafides either. I would establish that knowing the QB position is the most important thing in his life...both the reads, looks and the ability to make those 1-3 steppers....the 6-8 yarders that move the chains. We got us a kid as our leader, and he is ill trained to be one. Frankly he is terrible at that. He needs someone over him, who makes sure his primary goal is learning everything he can to help this team win.

Absent that, I would ask Kap to take his I phone and go elsewhere. If we don't get a Qb who buys in, who gives all, then we are just going to be as good as our lackadaisical QB...but no better. So I pin this both on Kap... and JH for failing to accomplish the above with kap. Now, JH has to accept that not making it to the SB again...and we won't...but with a team that should have been there...well, that has to weigh on him..JH has to take the reins and get his QB on the same page as everyone else.
Also, dumping roman is a first move. Keeping him here is just asking for more of the same. Roman doesn't get it. 10 Ws is fine by him...hell, it gets you rehired each yr in college...and that is all that guy is good for. NFL...roman...not for long...and you just burned your ticket.
I could't agree more. JH and Kap could do a few less commercials and more time together teaching Kap to be a big leaguer. It makes me laugh when everyone wanted Alex Smith's head even when the Niners won. But all they can't think of is excuses for Kap. The super bowl ain't gonna happen this year and any other year for that matter until he learns how to pass out of the pocket under pressure and read pro defenses.
Originally posted by REALISTIC:
I could't agree more. JH and Kap could do a few less commercials and more time together teaching Kap to be a big leaguer. It makes me laugh when everyone wanted Alex Smith's head even when the Niners won. But all they can't think of is excuses for Kap. The super bowl ain't gonna happen this year and any other year for that matter until he learns how to pass out of the pocket under pressure and read pro defenses.

Originally posted by REALISTIC:

Thanks to you two coaches for explaining to us the coach who took us on a tear to within yards of winning the Superbowl and the QB who has set multiple all time NFL records in his first 16 games are morons with a lot to learn.

Thanks coachs.

Youuuuuu betcha.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
What pis*es me off about Harbaugh is he is so over-protective of Kap, is unreal. There is nothing wrong to say may be Kap needs to work on certain areas.

In any case, his pressers are a complete waste of time, I can't even watch more than a minute of it these days cos he tells you nothing and I do mean NOTHING !! I mean I am not asking you to diagram all your new plays to us, but at least give us some idea what the coaching staff will be working on to improve the situation at least. All he ever says is the next game is always our most important game and we had a good practice and see you on Sunday. Is bullcrap !!
Originally posted by Rascal:
What pis*es me off about Harbaugh is he is so over-protective of Kap, is unreal. There is nothing wrong to say may be Kap needs to work on certain areas.

In any case, his pressers are a complete waste of time, I can't even watch more than a minute of it these days cos he tells you nothing and I do mean NOTHING !! I mean I am not asking you to diagram all your new plays to us, but at least give us some idea what the coaching staff will be working on to improve the situation at least. All he ever says is the next game is always our most important game and we had a good practice and see you on Sunday. Is bullcrap !!

Everyone's presser is a waste of time. Not just Harbaugh's. It's just the same old recycled Q&A over and over again. We shouldn't need to hear Harbaugh admit that Kap needs work. That should be abundantly clear to anyone who has watched him play.

One of the things I love about Harbaugh is how he NEVER has anything even remotely negative to say about one of his players. He'll stick up for them until the very end (see Williams, Kyle). Because once you go down that road, the media doesn't quit there. The flood gates open up. Next morning's headline is "Harbaugh doesn't believe in (insert name here)" or "Harbaugh blames (insert name here)". Thank goodness he doesn't make time for that s**t. Just concentrate on improving the team, media be damned.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Everyone's presser is a waste of time. Not just Harbaugh's. It's just the same old recycled Q&A over and over again. We shouldn't need to hear Harbaugh admit that Kap needs work. That should be abundantly clear to anyone who has watched him play.

One of the things I love about Harbaugh is how he NEVER has anything even remotely negative to say about one of his players. He'll stick up for them until the very end (see Williams, Kyle). Because once you go down that road, the media doesn't quit there. The flood gates open up. Next morning's headline is "Harbaugh doesn't believe in (insert name here)" or "Harbaugh blames (insert name here)". Thank goodness he doesn't make time for that s**t. Just concentrate on improving the team, media be damned.

No, I rather prefer at least a bit of honesty and intergrity. What fxxked me off most was when he gave out those 2 game balls to Lavelle Hawkins and Cam Johnson when he knew damn well they were as good as gone. That was like rubbing salt in the wound. Think about it, wouldn't you think you would be well in and should make the cut after playing so well and getting a game ball ? That was like saying good job guys and you can fxxk off now. I can't trust a coach like that, is political and the truth is always covered up. I also hate the way he slaps his hands on Kap's pads trying to boost his confidence before a game, he did exactly the same thing to Alex Smith, it is so contrived and makes me sick to my stomach to see that sh*t !!

• Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:

I'll give him his due on the pressers - he took it standing up, didn't shy away from difficult questions and on the screen question said it was a good point and well made. That takes some guts.

It's obvious he knows we have problems on the passing game and I suspect that he knows the roots of it. He's smart and not afraid to make changes, I think there could be some significant change over the next month in offense philosophy.
[ Edited by Buchy on Nov 13, 2013 at 2:56 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
[u][i][i]

No, I rather prefer at least a bit of honesty and intergrity. What fxxked me off most was when he gave out those 2 game balls to Lavelle Hawkins and Cam Johnson when he knew damn well they were as good as gone. That was like rubbing salt in the wound. Think about it, wouldn't you think you would be well in and should make the cut after playing so well and getting a game ball ? That was like saying good job guys and you can fxxk off now.

I can't trust a coach like that, is political and the truth is always covered up. I also hate the way he slaps his hands on Kap's pads trying to boost his confidence before a game, he did exactly the same thing to Alex Smith, it is so contrived and makes me sick to my stomach to see that sh*t !!

They were game balls--earned for their play in the game.

Should Harbaugh not give a game ball to a player who is going to be cut simply because that player is going to cut?

How exactly do you know that the truth is always being covered up?
[/i]

Seriously do you really think that what an NFL coach--any NFL coach--speaks, or should speak, the truth about a player to the media?
  • buck
  • Veteran
This coaching staff has been with the team for less than three years.

So far this year, he team is 6-3. Last year the team was 11-4-1. In 2011, the team went 13 and 3.

If my math is right that is 30 wins—10 losses --1 tie-- in regular season games.

By my reckoning, Harbaugh and company are doing a good job. But,hey that is just my opinion.
Originally posted by buck:
This coaching staff has been with the team for less than three years.

So far this year, he team is 6-3. Last year the team was 11-4-1. In 2011, the team went 13 and 3.

If my math is right that is 30 wins—10 losses --1 tie-- in regular season games.

By my reckoning, Harbaugh and company are doing a good job. But,hey that is just my opinion.

It doesn't bother you that the win column is getting smaller every season and the conference as a whole is getting better? So by the math there we're looking at .500 ball club or slightly better in 3 years if this trend continues. Another 49ers season and another crappy offense. Been the story for ten years now. Sooner or later our defense will decline and we'll need the young offense to step up. So far I have zero faith in them outside of #21.
Share 49ersWebzone