LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 219 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
the argument isn't whether the coaching staff is better than the last two... it is. that doesn't mean they're above criticism because they've done a better job actually its a testament to how good they are if we expect better because we know they're capable of doing it.. at least i think they are.

and yes they were the wrong plays. we got to the goal line on a long frank run and then a james run to set it up.

we beat the falcons but running it in the end zone.

2nd and goal from the 5 you don't run a 2 yard out patter with the db draped on him to make the tackle and then a fade route with a blitz coming. along with not getting the call in on time so the option run can't work.

we've scored way more with gore running the ball in from the goal line haven't we? so that's not a good reason..we've scored on them before.

we needed to run the ball with gore with nata out right up the middle for the score.
that's really all there is to it

Going to the Conference Finals and then Super Bowl doesn't just mean they were better than the coaching staff that was here before. lol...what are you talking about?

We score plenty of times on passing plays in the red-zone last year. Had we run 4 times and Ravens stopped it...ppl would be b***hing about how we didn't throw it once. Anyway...I'm done talkin' about last year. Hindsight is always 20-20.
[ Edited by 4ML on Nov 11, 2013 at 3:48 PM ]
Originally posted by 4ML:
Going to the Conference Finals and then Super Bowl doesn't just mean they were better than the coaching staff that was here before. lol...what are you talking about?

We score plenty of times on passing plays in the red-zone last year. Had we run 4 times and Ravens stopped it...ppl would be b***hing about how we didn't throw it once. Anyway...I'm done talkin' about last year. Hindsight is always 20-20.

it does mean they were better there is no question i never brought that up you did to try and diffuse the criticism that they deserved

and you're wrong, we got down the field on runs.. as soon as nata went out for the game it opened it completely up.
if we lined up and didn't get the yards with gore then i would say we didn't deserve it. but to not even have it on the table not even fake a run so that vd or crab could catch a pass after they commit to the run was criminal.
yup its over with but the same problems are rearing their ugly heads

3 redzone opportunities. you have to punch 1 of them in.
harbaugh said they didnt go for it on the 4th and 1 due to the injuries to tes davis and celek--then made an adjustment with snyder playing tight end later...but what i wonder is why not put joe staley at tight end and snyder at tackle...staley can still block the edge as he would if he were at left tackle, but he would add more of a threat to catch the ball, haing started out as a te at c.michigan
Originally posted by JimA49ers:
Not going for it on 4th and 1 on the panthers 2 yard line???? Where's the jumbo package? Even if you fail to get the first down, you pin the panthers as deep as you possibly can , and your defense was playing well.

the coaching staff showed they were scared. they always talk about meeting a challenge but when it comes down to being aggressive and going for it they don't
if it was the jaguars or the titans they wouldn't have hesitated to go for it on 4th down. but against the panthers they became totally soft saying gore and company can't get 1 yard knowing we might not be this close to the end zone again in the game...and we weren't. crucial coaching error CRUCIAL and sent the message to the panthers we can't beat you up front. that was a shame.

Agree. I think the "Freddie P. Soft" award goes to Roman. That's 2 years in a row starting with last years Super Bowl mistake.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hofer36:
harbaugh said they didnt go for it on the 4th and 1 due to the injuries to tes davis and celek--then made an adjustment with snyder playing tight end later...but what i wonder is why not put joe staley at tight end and snyder at tackle...staley can still block the edge as he would if he were at left tackle, but he would add more of a threat to catch the ball, haing started out as a te at c.michigan

We didn't lose because we didn't go for it there. We lost because we couldn't get in the FG range in the 2nd half.
We didn't lose because we didn't go for it there. We lost because we couldn't get in the FG range in the 2nd half.

because we didn't try to get there with running or edge plays or quick slants to gain yards that add up. it was 7 step drop pressure hurry sack.
Originally posted by JimA49ers:
Agree. I think the "Freddie P. Soft" award goes to Roman. That's 2 years in a row starting with last years Super Bowl mistake.

well when its time for us to be tough we don't line up and beat the #2 best run defense who was getting handled by gore.
This 49er offense makes 2007 Jim Hostler a neighbor.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

because we didn't try to get there with running or edge plays or quick slants to gain yards that add up. it was 7 step drop pressure hurry sack.

Kaep is at his best with 7 step drops. Most of his success last year came on 7 step drops. If he hits a few check-downs...defense opens a little bit, but he is mostly lookin' for a big play. He needs to spend more time in the film room than on twitter.
idk if this has been discussed lately or if anybody knows but, what is the chain of command when it comes to play calling?

• TyCore
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
if all your bullet points are right and i think they probably are,,,,, then the answer goes right back to roman ,,,, who gets support from JH.

Before the problem was Alex Smith, now its Colin Kaepernick, put another QB in there and it will be his problem.....its like people aren't putting 2 and 2 together. The common denominator for this offense's struggles has always been the playcalling. Why is it that Alex was tremendous in the red-zone, one of the very best in the NFL, yet Roman shows up and now this team struggles immensely in the redzone. Back when they were chitty, they were still able to capitalize in the redzone but all of a sudden all they could do was kick field goals. It amazes me that people never put that together and wonder why that it is and why this team continues to struggle in the redzone, regardless of who is playing QB.
phoenix said nothing wrong,, what else answer can there be

Agree. The criticism was ... and I quote .. "Alex doesn't trust his receivers to get open downfield and will hold the ball." Sounds familiar? That's what's been going on EXACTLY to teams with better defenses. It's the offense folks. It really is.

In the game thread, I mentioned how it seems this offense turns quarterbacks into second guessing, skittish, game managing ball clutchers.

Totally agree with Phoenix, again.
Should have hired Norv Turner like guys like me and Phoenix wanted in the off season. (we also wanted Marc Trestman, before he got a HC spot obviously).
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TyCore:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
if all your bullet points are right and i think they probably are,,,,, then the answer goes right back to roman ,,,, who gets support from JH.

Before the problem was Alex Smith, now its Colin Kaepernick, put another QB in there and it will be his problem.....its like people aren't putting 2 and 2 together. The common denominator for this offense's struggles has always been the playcalling. Why is it that Alex was tremendous in the red-zone, one of the very best in the NFL, yet Roman shows up and now this team struggles immensely in the redzone. Back when they were chitty, they were still able to capitalize in the redzone but all of a sudden all they could do was kick field goals. It amazes me that people never put that together and wonder why that it is and why this team continues to struggle in the redzone, regardless of who is playing QB.
phoenix said nothing wrong,, what else answer can there be

Agree. The criticism was ... and I quote .. "Alex doesn't trust his receivers to get open downfield and will hold the ball." Sounds familiar? That's what's been going on EXACTLY to teams with better defenses. It's the offense folks. It really is.

In the game thread, I mentioned how it seems this offense turns quarterbacks into second guessing, skittish, game managing ball clutchers.

Totally agree with Phoenix, again.

Has Alex Smith thrown for 300 yards this year? Is he playin' better this year than he was playin' the last two years? Is Andy Reid a turrrible offensive coach too? No...there are limitations with Alex Smith's games...and there are limitations in Kap's. In Kap's case...he has all the physical tools...just needs to work on his weaknesses and stay focus.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
This 49er offense makes 2007 Jim Hostler a neighbor.

Are you kidding me? Jim Hostlers offense may as well have been the greatest show on turf compared to that pathetic showing on sunday.
I am not pleased to say this, but between Joe and Steve, how many times were they responding to fans on twitter, or making commercials or signing money autographs like crazy. Hey , they weren't(until much, much later in their careers). 4ML is spot on about kap spending more time in the film room instead of on twitter. And as far as the espn magazine cover goes, I bet joe and steve just puked. They NEVER would have done that because they were all football all the time. Kap definitely has his priorities switched from both these HOF QBs. Result, kap won't even be able to carry joe's jockstrap...if he's lucky. Kap and his extracurricular activities are his own worst enemy. He is carrying on as if he WON the last two SBs, and all he did is help get to one and almost get to the other. Somebody needs to alert this young man you don't celebrate before you make history. He came damn close, but no cigar. Joe and steve would have answered with MORE time in film room and more time on the field with all receivers. Not kap, he is answering comments on twitter, posing, signing..hell....everything BUT football. Until he decides if he wants to be a teenie rock star or a great NFL Qb, we are basically screwed. A really good coach would already have had this conversation, improper as it may be with today's social mores.

The problem is kap is not that good, and as he found, he NEEDS to be able to throw and complete those 6-8 yarders when the DL tees off and the DBs drop 10 yds off the WRs...or TEs. Kap is pure crap at throwing that pass as noted above, and THAT is the one pass that it takes to win games like the 3 we lost. I put a huge majoritiy of Kap's shortcomings on Coach H, but in all fairness, I am sure I would not know how to handle a young superstar who has no bonafides either. I would establish that knowing the QB position is the most important thing in his life...both the reads, looks and the ability to make those 1-3 steppers....the 6-8 yarders that move the chains. We got us a kid as our leader, and he is ill trained to be one. Frankly he is terrible at that. He needs someone over him, who makes sure his primary goal is learning everything he can to help this team win.

Absent that, I would ask Kap to take his I phone and go elsewhere. If we don't get a Qb who buys in, who gives all, then we are just going to be as good as our lackadaisical QB...but no better. So I pin this both on Kap... and JH for failing to accomplish the above with kap. Now, JH has to accept that not making it to the SB again...and we won't...but with a team that should have been there...well, that has to weigh on him..JH has to take the reins and get his QB on the same page as everyone else.
Also, dumping roman is a first move. Keeping him here is just asking for more of the same. Roman doesn't get it. 10 Ws is fine by him...hell, it gets you rehired each yr in college...and that is all that guy is good for. NFL...roman...not for long...and you just burned your ticket.
Share 49ersWebzone