LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 288 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Nah. I don't see reports of him being unhappy at UM. We all knew JH and our front office weren't clicking. We even offered to trade him. He's going to be there until they can him.

And would they want him? I don't think Jim is a hot nfl commodity anymore. Browns need to get themselves a good OC as the HC.
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
And would they want him? I don't think Jim is a hot nfl commodity anymore. Browns need to get themselves a good OC as the HC.

Agreed. The trend is to go passing offense nowadays. Not run conservative offense. He may find a gig somewhere but it might take a year, it might not be at a desired location.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 23, 2019 at 10:42 AM ]
Nah. I don't see reports of him being unhappy at UM. We all knew JH and our front office weren't clicking. We even offered to trade him. He's going to be there until they can him.

What will likely happen is the AD might whisper to his agent to consider NFL Jobs.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheGore49er:

Yeah, I agree. He's not the hot commodity that he was before being hired by the 49ers. He had Andrew Luck, but right now, he's not had any QB's with any notable successes in his program that's graduated to the NFL. That's going to be a big down side to hiring Jim. I also think the NFL is even more pass happy than when he was coaching 4 or 5 years ago. JIm with his evolving spread offense and power run game - unless he starts beating power house teams in college with that offense, I think his allure in the NFL is limited.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Maybe, but gee whiz, he has a close to 70% winning percentage, that should enable him to keep his job. But I say *should* - he's never been good at office politics and unfortunately, I can see the politics developing at U of M now. He'll be at a big disadvantage playing those games, sadly.

In college football that doesn't mean much when you're not beating the teams that you need to beat to advance your program. I'm sure they'll kick the crap out of Rutgers though.

Well if he had political skills, he'd have political alliances with the boosters, doing what he can to earn their good will, kissing their azzez etc... He's just not that kind of person to where he'll cater to the emotions of the Amumni, the president, or the athletic director. I mean I'm sure there are cases where there was a crappy coach on the college payroll, but because he had friends in high places, he was able to stay on his job for a long time. Without that, I have to agree with the people who say Jim's going to lose his job if he doesn't win the games his fanbase and employers want him to win.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
dudes going to bail for the NFL

This. I don't think he'll get fired but the Cleveland job might open up as they get tired of their own Tomsula and a team loaded with that much talent right in Harbaugh's Midwestern neck of the woods could prove mighty tempting.

I cant see him being offered a HC job in the NFL right now. Maybe a coordinator role. Which I don't think he would take.
Well if he had political skills, he'd have political alliances with the boosters, doing what he can to earn their good will, kissing their azzez etc... He's just not that kind of person to where he'll cater to the emotions of the Amumni, the president, or the athletic director. I mean I'm sure there are cases where there was a crappy coach on the college payroll, but because he had friends in high places, he was able to stay on his job for a long time. Without that, I have to agree with the people who say Jim's going to lose his job if he doesn't win the games his fanbase and employers want him to win.

If you're the HC at Michigan and you fail to beat Ohio State year after year after year, it won't matter how much ass you kiss, you'll be sent packing.
If you're the HC at Michigan and you fail to beat Ohio State year after year after year, it won't matter how much ass you kiss, you'll be sent packing.

OSU has won 16 out of the last 18. At this point if that's the bar it's getting delusional.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 23, 2019 at 1:45 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

He's been at Michigan for 5 years and hasn't done the above that you described and he's still at U of M. So it may take *more* than losing to Ohio State every year to lose his job. As long has he stays above that minimum, he has a good chance at keeping his job, from the way I see it.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
dudes going to bail for the NFL

This. I don't think he'll get fired but the Cleveland job might open up as they get tired of their own Tomsula and a team loaded with that much talent right in Harbaugh's Midwestern neck of the woods could prove mighty tempting.

I cant see him being offered a HC job in the NFL right now. Maybe a coordinator role. Which I don't think he would take.

I still think that if he's jumping to the NFL, it will be on his terms. Not the NFL teams terms. He's been burned by the 49er/HC/GM issue and I think he'll be keen to avoid that kind of situation again if he goes to an NFL team. It might be that he wins all the games from here on in, except Ohio State, and that might make some NFL teams kowtow to his demands - if so, I think that's the only way he'll jump to the NFL. IF he's fired from U of M, I think he'll just have to go to a lower ranked school where he has total control, and keep coaching there instead of doing another 49er front office type of split control design management.

Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
that's cool. I remember a couple weeks ago you told me I was stupid for thinking Harbaugh was overrated. Good times.

Again, I disagree that he's equivalent to Hoke. I never said Harbs was going to win a Natty or anything like that at Michigan. But keep trying to claim that I said something about Harbs that I did not.

Among some parts on this website, this would be called trolling.

Harbs is what his record says he is. He had earlier success, and I've consistently said this is the year he has to deliver big wins.

Originally posted by English:
Well, the last 2 games were as close to ugly as it gets when you are a top college team.

They managed to beat Middle Tenn State

Army took them to overtime

Wisconsin won easily and nearly downright embarrassed them.

Now there is Rutgers, Iowa, Illinois, Penn State, Notre Dame, Maryland, Michigan State, Indiana and Ohio State.

I cant see them beating Ohio State or Penn Stste and Notre Dame will be a struggle. And either Iowa or Michigan State could surprise them.

So how bad would it have to get for him to be out?

I think 6 wins or less he will be fired at the end of the year.

7-9 wins = very short leash next year, potential mid-season firing if next year doesn't go well.

I'm personally generally opposed to knee-jerk firings in college. I personally think you have to look at long term processes. Harbs hired a new OC and that was suppose to change things, and it has not. I personally think the admin should give the OC another year under Harbs to see if there's a different result.

Its crazy how frequently in college that schools are shelling out millions for firing a coach, and the new coach doesn't do any better.

I still think Harbs is better than his 2 predecessors, and if you fire him this year you better be sure there is a plan in place to get a better coach.

I think schools/teams firing coaches without a great candidate they know they can get is a disaster waiting to happen.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Again, I disagree that he's equivalent to Hoke. I never said Harbs was going to win a Natty or anything like that at Michigan. But keep trying to claim that I said something about Harbs that I did not.

Among some parts on this website, this would be called trolling.

Harbs is what his record says he is. He had earlier success, and I've consistently said this is the year he has to deliver big wins.

I think 6 wins or less he will be fired at the end of the year.

7-9 wins = very short leash next year, potential mid-season firing if next year doesn't go well.

I'm personally generally opposed to knee-jerk firings in college. I personally think you have to look at long term processes. Harbs hired a new OC and that was suppose to change things, and it has not. I personally think the admin should give the OC another year under Harbs to see if there's a different result.

Its crazy how frequently in college that schools are shelling out millions for firing a coach, and the new coach doesn't do any better.

I still think Harbs is better than his 2 predecessors, and if you fire him this year you better be sure there is a plan in place to get a better coach.

I think schools/teams firing coaches without a great candidate they know they can get is a disaster waiting to happen.

No, my whole post was centered around him not winning big games. I even included a link that laid it his record against ranked opponents. The Hoke part was just an additional point thrown in because their overall records aren't that different. And he can't win big games. It's fact. I suggest you go back and read my post. And you disagreed with me and said he wins big games. And he doesn't.

The impediment has always been he will want full personnel control or a puppet like Lombardi in as GM. I can't see him working well with John Dorsey.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Sep 23, 2019 at 4:08 PM ]
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
No, my whole post was centered around him not winning big games. I even included a link that laid it his record against ranked opponents. The Hoke part was just an additional point thrown in because their overall records aren't that different. And he can't win big games. It's fact. I suggest you go back and read my post. And you disagreed with me and said he wins big games. And he doesn't.

He has won big games....

An NFL playoff game is a big game.

Has Harbs won a playoff game?
He's been at Michigan for 5 years and hasn't done the above that you described and he's still at U of M. So it may take *more* than losing to Ohio State every year to lose his job. As long has he stays above that minimum, he has a good chance at keeping his job, from the way I see it.

Yep and he has yet to win any major games of consequence. The AD is supposedly a huge fan of his but that will only get him so far if his teams continue to flop in big game after big game, especially against key rivals. If he finishes this season out with another 2 to 3 losses, he'll definitely be on the hot seat starting next season.
Share 49ersWebzone