Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by TheRambler:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by fropwns:
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Dudes, Harbs blows. He, literally, has not changed. Harbs will not win a title at Michigan.

So you have to win a title or else you blow?

I guess you are either 100% or 0%.

Welcome to life in sports.

At the end of the day, Harbaugh wont be remembered in CFB if he cant (1) win it all and/or (2) beat Ohio State.

He already isn't remembered by anyone who isn't a bitter Niners fan looking to complain about Jed York

Agree. Once Kyle wins a super bowl or even gets to the NFC championship game, very few will remember Harbaugh. Sort of like how few people remember Steve Mariucci nowadays after Jim Harbaugh.

I doubt it would take that much, making the playoffs and winning a game should do it
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Same place 9ers were in 2014

The overreaching point is you aren't HOF worthy when you come up short.

No one mentioned the HoF ever so yeah. 3 playoff appearances, 3 conference finals in 4 years. You can't compare that to Jax which you tried.
Agree. Once Kyle wins a super bowl or even gets to the NFC championship game, very few will remember Harbaugh. Sort of like how few people remember Steve Mariucci nowadays after Jim Harbaugh.

Getting a little ahead of yourself there.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
No one mentioned the HoF ever so yeah. 3 playoff appearances, 3 conference finals in 4 years. You can't compare that to Jax which you tried.

Look at the quote I first responded to.

You also can't compare an actual NFL QB like Alex Smith and a guy who played like a top QB in 2012 in Kap to the garbage that is Blake Bortles.

For some reason you want to change the argument to no longer fit the original point which was it was some sort of HOF caliber coaching effort to win with Alex and Kap.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Sep 11, 2019 at 10:06 AM ]
The word is hyperbole
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Look at the quote I first responded to.

You also can't compare an actual NFL QB like Alex Smith and a guy who played like a top QB in 2012 in Kap to the garbage that is Blake Bortles.

For some reason you want to change the argument to no longer fit the original point which was it was some sort of HOF caliber coaching effort to win with Alex and Kap.

And you shouldn't compare what Alex became years down the road to what was here. An ok game manager. Even in KC it took Alex what a good 4 seasons to be a real qb under Reid. And Kap lol. Well he caught the league by storm after that he was all downhill l.

And he was being sarcastic with the hof praise and really just mocking his subpar qb's. Which you know is true.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 11, 2019 at 11:52 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Looks like Harbaugh carried Fangio.

Theres a reason it took him this long to get a HC gig. I dont think his old school mentality is helping. Great dc, but i think he will be an average HC

For now I agree. I think Scangarello was put in as OC too soon. I think that side of the team is going to suffer a bit. Fangio's defense is going to be doing well, but over time, as he refuses to play the rookies, his defenses will deteriorate.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
Originally posted by TheRambler:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Dudes, Harbs blows. He, literally, has not changed. Harbs will not win a title at Michigan.

So you have to win a title or else you blow?

I guess you are either 100% or 0%.

Welcome to life in sports.

At the end of the day, Harbaugh wont be remembered in CFB if he cant (1) win it all and/or (2) beat Ohio State.

He already isn't remembered by anyone who isn't a bitter Niners fan looking to complain about Jed York

I doubt it would take that much, making the playoffs and winning a game should do it

Heck beating Seadderall Last year was the talk of the offseason. So yeah, agree, playoffs and winning one game in the playoffs would probably do it.

As for Kyle winning the super bowl, if Kyle gets into the playoffs, *anything* can happen.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
And you shouldn't compare what Alex became years down the road to what was here. An ok game manager. Even in KC it took Alex what a good 4 seasons to be a real qb under Reid. And Kap lol. Well he caught the league by storm after that he was all downhill l.

And he was being sarcastic with the hof praise and really just mocking his subpar qb's. Which you know is true.

I don't think he was being sarcastic.

Funny how Michigan has another subpar qb now. The guy he specifically recruited to transfer. Kind of like the handpicked qb he wanted to draft. Guess he should go find himself an elite guy one of these days.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Sep 11, 2019 at 12:29 PM ]
It takes a lot of mental tumbling to dismiss a guy who is 142-60 all time as head coach. 82 games above .500

He's not even done yet either. Many head coaches take years and years and switch jobs often before they win the big one. It just isn't that easy.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
It takes a lot of mental tumbling to dismiss a guy who is 142-60 all time as head coach. 82 games above .500

He's not even done yet either. Many head coaches take years and years and switch jobs often before they win the big one. It just isn't that easy.

He's a winner everywhere he's been. But his Achilles heel is that offense. If he can ever have a decent modern, consistent offense, he'd be up there in terms of legendary. I think because defense is more about talent than X's and O's - he does well in getting good defenses because it's really all about talent. I think he's a very good recruiter of talent. On the other hand, offense requires a lot of good scheming, coaching, and a solid knowledge of X's and O's. I mean if you compare Kyle's knowledge of X's and O's to Harbaugh's -- you can see the difference right there.

Marty Schottenheimer is 203 and 127. No one says he should be in the HOF.

It's not dismissing a guy by saying he's not an all time great. Because he's not.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Sep 11, 2019 at 2:23 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
First, let's give Army credit for doing exactly what Army does: confuse defenses with the triple option and strangle the clock like a python.

What does Michigan do? No idea — the Wolverines have no identity. They have next to no discipline, too, as evidenced by their three fumbles, one caused by the failure to pick up a corner blitz, and penalties such as a senior lining up offside on a key third-and-4 and an unnecessary blindside block (now illegal) on a kick return.
The mind-numbing topper might have come when Harbaugh decided to pass up a 36-yard field-goal attempt in a 14-14 game with 10 minutes to play. Freshman running back Zach Charbonnet got swallowed up on fourth-and-2 after the left side of the line took a siesta.

"Our analytics had it that the best thing to do if we got in that situation, fourth-and-3 from that distance, was to go for it," Harbaugh said. "It ended up being fourth-and-2, and we didn't convert."

Good insight, Jim. Thanks.

After losing an FBS-low three fumbles last season, Michigan has coughed it up seven times in two games, losing five.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-cb-big-ten-football-week-2-power-rankings-20190908-lxcjdtruqrgells555zzpyrhoa-story.html

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2019-09-07/college-football-michigan-jim-harbaugh-army-shea-patterson-zach-charbonnet

Two times during the fourth quarter Saturday, Jim Harbaugh made a decision that indicated he did not understand the difference between the type of team he wants Michigan to be and where the Wolverines actually are in Year 5 of his coaching tenure at his alma mater.

Army had pushed seventh-ranked Michigan to the limit with the same brutal efficiency it employed a year ago at Oklahoma before falling to the Sooners in overtime. The Wolverines should have felt fortunate to be tied at 14 with the Black Knights, given the three fumbles and the inability of quarterback Shea Patterson to show real command of the new Michigan offense that was created with his skills in mind.
Yet, facing fourth and two from the Army 19, Harbaugh did not realize his good fortune and take the 36-yard field goal for Michigan's first lead of the game. He asked a running game that averaged less than three yards per rush on the day to make him feel like these were the good old days at the Big House, when the tough yards were inevitably Michigan's to be had. Army mobbed Michigan freshman Zach Charbonnet in the backfield, a result Harbaugh easily should have predicted and avoided.
Later, with less than three minutes left, Harbaugh had another fourth-and-two call to make, this time from the Army 43. Instead of pinning Army's triple-option attack deep and setting up his defense with good field position to get the ball back and at the very least get to overtime, Harbaugh again decided to go for it. Michigan dialed Charbonnet's number, and again, the former Oaks Christian standout was stuffed.

Harbaugh's stubbornness, even confronted with what should have been mounting evidence that this was not a day for bold statements about his team's backbone, nearly cost Michigan the game and all the good vibes his fan base has been able to muster entering this season with an 0-4 record against Ohio State.

Army missed a 50-yard field goal as the clock ran out in regulation, giving Michigan a second life it didn't deserve.

This is the definition of a well-placed bye week, for the injured players and the program. A win Saturday kept fan desperation from settling in, but Harbaugh gets paid to know better than to feel relieved. The pain is coming.

Ohio State, with its new coach Ryan Day and new quarterback Justin Fields, demolished a solid Cincinnati team 42-0 down the road in Columbus.
Michigan, with its returning coach and returning senior quarterback, is the team that should be glad it's only September.

Sundevil. This one. Phoneix sundevil ehh

Point still valid. Exactly what I said that day
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
I can see not going for the FG. They were on the wrong side of the field with a decent wind in the face of the kicker.

Some of the short yardage playcalls were puzzling. Shea didn't do a good enough job protecting the ball.

They did however make some great plays on third and long. Long TD drive after they got a gift INT to tie the game.

Shea was clutch on that drive. Made some really good throws.

Michigan picked up an Army fumble and returned it for a td. Refs said the guy was down by contact and he wasn't. Lolz. No td. Next play was the Shea strip sack fumble. That lead to an Army score.

Michigan's best return man has missed the first two games with an injury. Their backup returner of couse muffed a punt that led to another Army td.

Michigan did hold Army to their worst yards per play avg since 2015. I'll take that run defense.

Finding a way to win after 47 mistakes is cool with me.

Realistic expectations for life are that we are going to be better today than we were yesterday, be better tomorrow than we were today.
- Jim Harbaugh
Big game this week
Share 49ersWebzone