LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

Jim Harbaugh Thread - HC Chargers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by tjd808185:
It won't help him immediately but last year Oklahoma went to ot with Army and they still made the playoffs. Mich beats Wisconsin in 2 weeks and this is forgotten.

Actually I think it's the exact opposite. Wisconsin beats Michigan in 2 weeks. Wisconsin looks really outstanding. Michigan does not. Plus Wisconsin is at home. Wisconsin moves up. Michigan moves down in the rankings.

But yes I see your point as a hypothetical scenario. I just don't think it will happen. The opposite will happen.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Is it time to start considering Vic Fangio was carrying Harbaugh in the pros

My man.

Right lol

His defenses were top 5 every year even in 2014 when he had a ton of players on I.R. and using Street FA's. Fangio clearly did far more for the defense than Jimbo did for the offense...and that's still true today.

PS: just saw you were busting my balls.

Zing! Lol
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
You guys are complaining about a "close win." Nobody will care at all. At the end of the year it will just be a win in the win column.

Lol it does matter in college football. The voters pay attention to that and take into consideration how you win and lose.

For 1 week they will. This weeks poll. Next week nobody will care. It will just be a win.

Once again, no, it matters for the whole season. Obviously it wont matter if they finish with one loss or no losses, otherwise it will be looked at.

An early close game or a loss even is no big deal. Mid season or late season would be much worse. As the weeks go on it will be mostly forgotten. It's still a win. A close game is not as damaging as a loss. Plus it happened early in the year which you would rather have.

It won't matter anyway. This team won't make the playoff. I don't believe they are that good.

This is according to you. Im telling you how it works with the voting committee, they matter, not your opinion lol.
You guys are complaining about a "close win." Nobody will care at all. At the end of the year it will just be a win in the win column.

Lol it does matter in college football. The voters pay attention to that and take into consideration how you win and lose.

For 1 week they will. This weeks poll. Next week nobody will care. It will just be a win.

Once again, no, it matters for the whole season. Obviously it wont matter if they finish with one loss or no losses, otherwise it will be looked at.

An early close game or a loss even is no big deal. Mid season or late season would be much worse. As the weeks go on it will be mostly forgotten. It's still a win. A close game is not as damaging as a loss. Plus it happened early in the year which you would rather have.

It won't matter anyway. This team won't make the playoff. I don't believe they are that good.

This is according to you. Im telling you how it works with the voting committee, they matter, not your opinion lol.

Not that much as the season goes on. The later season stuff will matter more. Plus how bad is it really? They won. Is it bad to win? You are holding a win against him like a loss. That doesn't make sense. A win is still a win.

Where did I say in my posts it doesn't matter? I never said that. It matters. It's just the mid and late season stuff matters more as that is what the voters will remember as the season goes deeper. Also this was a WIN. Again this was a WIN. So OK it's a "tough close win." But it's still a WIN. They did not lose which would be more devastating.

It's not going to matter. They will likely lose to Wisconsin coming up soon and that will drop them down in the polls. I don't see Michigan in the playoff at all but it won't be because of this game. It will be because they aren't good enough for that. But they are a pretty good team. Just not great.
Michigan only has to worry about style points if they beat Ohio State. And the buckeyes look pretty darn good
Michigan has 7 ranked opponents to go thru at this second + the conference finals. This is totally hypothetical but if they were to win those games that's why this 1 close game doesn't mean much. Now they won't, and It's looking like a 4-5 loss season which JH can't afford but That's for a later date.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 8, 2019 at 7:17 PM ]
First, let's give Army credit for doing exactly what Army does: confuse defenses with the triple option and strangle the clock like a python.

What does Michigan do? No idea — the Wolverines have no identity. They have next to no discipline, too, as evidenced by their three fumbles, one caused by the failure to pick up a corner blitz, and penalties such as a senior lining up offside on a key third-and-4 and an unnecessary blindside block (now illegal) on a kick return.
The mind-numbing topper might have come when Harbaugh decided to pass up a 36-yard field-goal attempt in a 14-14 game with 10 minutes to play. Freshman running back Zach Charbonnet got swallowed up on fourth-and-2 after the left side of the line took a siesta.

"Our analytics had it that the best thing to do if we got in that situation, fourth-and-3 from that distance, was to go for it," Harbaugh said. "It ended up being fourth-and-2, and we didn't convert."

Good insight, Jim. Thanks.

After losing an FBS-low three fumbles last season, Michigan has coughed it up seven times in two games, losing five.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-cb-big-ten-football-week-2-power-rankings-20190908-lxcjdtruqrgells555zzpyrhoa-story.html

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2019-09-07/college-football-michigan-jim-harbaugh-army-shea-patterson-zach-charbonnet

Two times during the fourth quarter Saturday, Jim Harbaugh made a decision that indicated he did not understand the difference between the type of team he wants Michigan to be and where the Wolverines actually are in Year 5 of his coaching tenure at his alma mater.

Army had pushed seventh-ranked Michigan to the limit with the same brutal efficiency it employed a year ago at Oklahoma before falling to the Sooners in overtime. The Wolverines should have felt fortunate to be tied at 14 with the Black Knights, given the three fumbles and the inability of quarterback Shea Patterson to show real command of the new Michigan offense that was created with his skills in mind.
Yet, facing fourth and two from the Army 19, Harbaugh did not realize his good fortune and take the 36-yard field goal for Michigan's first lead of the game. He asked a running game that averaged less than three yards per rush on the day to make him feel like these were the good old days at the Big House, when the tough yards were inevitably Michigan's to be had. Army mobbed Michigan freshman Zach Charbonnet in the backfield, a result Harbaugh easily should have predicted and avoided.
Later, with less than three minutes left, Harbaugh had another fourth-and-two call to make, this time from the Army 43. Instead of pinning Army's triple-option attack deep and setting up his defense with good field position to get the ball back and at the very least get to overtime, Harbaugh again decided to go for it. Michigan dialed Charbonnet's number, and again, the former Oaks Christian standout was stuffed.

Harbaugh's stubbornness, even confronted with what should have been mounting evidence that this was not a day for bold statements about his team's backbone, nearly cost Michigan the game and all the good vibes his fan base has been able to muster entering this season with an 0-4 record against Ohio State.

Army missed a 50-yard field goal as the clock ran out in regulation, giving Michigan a second life it didn't deserve.

This is the definition of a well-placed bye week, for the injured players and the program. A win Saturday kept fan desperation from settling in, but Harbaugh gets paid to know better than to feel relieved. The pain is coming.

Ohio State, with its new coach Ryan Day and new quarterback Justin Fields, demolished a solid Cincinnati team 42-0 down the road in Columbus.
Michigan, with its returning coach and returning senior quarterback, is the team that should be glad it's only September.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Originally posted by fropwns:
Dudes, Harbs blows. He, literally, has not changed. Harbs will not win a title at Michigan.

So you have to win a title or else you blow?

I guess you are either 100% or 0%.

Welcome to life in sports.
Dudes, Harbs blows. He, literally, has not changed. Harbs will not win a title at Michigan.

At the end of the day, Harbaugh wont be remembered in CFB if he cant (1) win it all and/or (2) beat Ohio State.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

At the end of the day, Harbaugh wont be remembered in CFB if he cant (1) win it all and/or (2) beat Ohio State.

Depends on how long they give him but right now I wouldn't put any money on either of these.

Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Imagine still supporting Jim Harbaugh in 2019.

Not as bad as supporting Baalke

Who's supporting Baalke? Huuuuh? LOL

Both were officially dead to me in 2015 (Baalke a year too late) and after reading this, for Harbaugh (2014 season).

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-seduction-of-jim-harbaugh-1439481739

I just come here for the now.

I'd do the same if I was Baalke's biggest supporter

I'm not so it just makes it funnier. I'm looking forward to Harbaugh's gold jacket ceremony though. It'll be a great day for you!
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Zing! Lol

You son of a ... LOL
Originally posted by English:
Depends on how long they give him but right now I wouldn't put any money on either of these.

Not until he puts his ego aside and let's a real playcaller run the offense. Should just be the motivational guy, that's his best skill set.

He already isn't remembered by anyone who isn't a bitter Niners fan looking to complain about Jed York
Originally posted by TheRambler:

He already isn't remembered by anyone who isn't a bitter Niners fan looking to complain about Jed York

Share 49ersWebzone