• jrg
  • Veteran
oh yay, bruno mars
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by dobo:
Vince Carter killed the dunk competition, IMO.

That is really going out on a limb there

Expectations killed the dunk contest. Go back and watch the old dunk contests...they sucked.

I was being sarcastic. Vince Carter's performance probably will never be matched by an NBA player ever.

I really think they should allow 1-2 non NBA players into the dunk contest who specialize just in street dunking ability. Just to push the envelope a lil bit

I know you were being sarcastic. But what did VC do that was so different than what the dudes yesterday did?

VC's performance is considered better because it happened 11 years ago. That's the only difference. Things were always better "back then".

Im gonna have to disagree with you on this one LA. Vince Carter absolutely killed the dunk contest. No one is gonna top that performance.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Maria Menounos .

F*ckin Vin Diesel.
Originally posted by DynastyChile:

Expectations killed the dunk contest. Go back and watch the old dunk contests...they sucked.

I was being sarcastic. Vince Carter's performance probably will never be matched by an NBA player ever.

I really think they should allow 1-2 non NBA players into the dunk contest who specialize just in street dunking ability. Just to push the envelope a lil bit

I know you were being sarcastic. But what did VC do that was so different than what the dudes yesterday did?

VC's performance is considered better because it happened 11 years ago. That's the only difference. Things were always better "back then".

Im gonna have to disagree with you on this one LA. Vince Carter absolutely killed the dunk contest. No one is gonna top that performance.

I don't see which dunk he did there that was more impressive than what we saw last night.
Diddy is dumb as sh*t.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Diddy is dumb as sh*t.

believe this!

I don't see which dunk he did there that was more impressive than what we saw last night.

I agree. Blake did almost the same dunk, but better. People just expect to be amazed because of the hype and expectations. I bet if you watched that competition with Vince as it was happening, you wouldn't have felt like you were watching anything amazing. At least not until other people started talking about it, because, as guys, we're supposed to talk about sports.

It's just like Super Bowl commercials. They get hyped up every year, because we all "remember" how great they all are. Then the time comes, and we're all disappointed. Maybe dunks and commercials just aren't all that exciting when they're on display like this. If you saw the same Super Bowl commercials while you were watching Friends on syndication, you'd probably laugh your ass off (which would be a nice change from all the drama you'd been watching). Just like if you saw any of these dunks in a game, you'd go crazy waiting for the replay. On their own, they're cool and all, but they probably just aren't entertaining enough (which is why that trampoline basketball thing never took off).
Originally posted by pantstickle:

I agree. Blake did almost the same dunk, but better. People just expect to be amazed because of the hype and expectations. I bet if you watched that competition with Vince as it was happening, you wouldn't have felt like you were watching anything amazing. At least not until other people started talking about it, because, as guys, we're supposed to talk about sports.

It's just like Super Bowl commercials. They get hyped up every year, because we all "remember" how great they all are. Then the time comes, and we're all disappointed. Maybe dunks and commercials just aren't all that exciting when they're on display like this. If you saw the same Super Bowl commercials while you were watching Friends on syndication, you'd probably laugh your ass off (which would be a nice change from all the drama you'd been watching). Just like if you saw any of these dunks in a game, you'd go crazy waiting for the replay. On their own, they're cool and all, but they probably just aren't entertaining enough (which is why that trampoline basketball thing never took off).

I agree with 90% of what you guys are saying. It is harder now to pull off an epic dunk. Back when these guys were doing it, it seemed ground braking. Now it seems average. The real deal is it is just harder to please us. I saw the highlights of the Spud Webb dunks last night and was like meh...but when they happened live back then I thought they were the greatest thing since Moses supposedly parted the red sea.
[ Edited by Rubberneck36 on Feb 20, 2011 at 5:34 PM ]

Is there a fall away better than Kobe's?
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

mine
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

mine

oh
  • jrg
  • Veteran
the celtics & howard vs. the west right now
Originally posted by jrg:
the douche's & howard vs. the west right now

fixed
Share 49ersWebzone